Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Tail-Gate mounted spare wheel for SUVs

A friend recently purchased a Storme VX 4x4 and is looking to add the tail-mounted spare tyre holder, as it was in the Dicor.

1. Is it even possible?
2. What are his options?
3. What about rear crumple zones and other safety issues?
4. I am sure many of you might have thought of it, will it look good on the storme?

I am looking for something like this. Saw this one on ebay. Spare Mount Ebay $20

Tail-Gate mounted spare wheel for SUVs-kgrhqjhjdkfhrkgibwvbseprit60_57.jpg
Storme is not one of those cars that you fall in love with at first sight. It grows on you. Unlike the Dicor, which has made many bankrupt just with its class & looks.
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:07   #2
BHPian

re: Tail-Gate mounted spare wheel for SUVs

Its not advisable to put such tail-mounted spare wheel on rear tailgate.
It alters the design/weight of the car. Storme is better looking without it.
Technically the door hinges also will take a toll after much use.
Please dont spend money on such wasteful things.
blackstallion76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

It is better not to do it as the hinges are not designed to take the additional weight of the spare wheel.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 11:16   #4
BHPian

Storme is indeed looking good without it.
However looks are subjective.
But
- it will also hinder with the cars on road behavior. I very well remember reading somewhere that spare wheel mounted under the body is also contributing for improved
handling and dynamics on the storme.
-Door hinges are not designed to take the additional weight.
-If your friend is indeed doing it for aesthetic reasons, there are so many other options he can look at. (monstrous looking Ford Endy type nudge guard at the front. something similar at the back, Explorer edition decals, Chrome ladder etc to name a few )
Old 24th August 2013, 14:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Specifically, these newer vehicles are designed differently and one of the aspects of their newer design is to remove the old tail gate mounted spare.
This helps with changes in the centre of gravity which in turn affects the handling and maneuverability etc.
And yes, most certainly the rear tailgate door hinges are now re-designed and are no longer strong enough to take the weight of an immense spare tyre, its alloy wheel and the cover etc.
I would most definitely NOT recommend an after market fitment of this kind and I would actively advise against meddling with the manufacturer's design as it may impact safety of the occupants while driving the vehicle, in some way or other.
Basically stay away from such 'aesthetic' enhancements.
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 14:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Storme is not one of those cars that you fall in love with at first sight. It grows on you. Unlike the Dicor, which has made many bankrupt just with its class & looks.
For quite sometime, I thought the STorme was not as good looking as the Dicor. But once I got the Storme, there was no looking back.

Adding a tail-gate mounted spare will only increase cosmetic value - for the owner & may be few others. Even if we assume no problems arise, the result of the effort is still cosmetic. And once the owner sits inside the vehicle, it doesnt matter if the spare is on the tailgate or underneath.
So, why take the trouble ?
Old 24th August 2013, 16:55   #7
BHPian

Greetings

I understand your friend here . We've had the safaris from the beginning . The first one , then the updated one , the 3 litre and then last the 2.2 . The 3 litre was a beast but gave us issues because ours was the first 4x4 and tata motors here never gave the car back on the same day of service . The storme was the only one we didn't buy. Maybe because we were expecting too much out of it. Or maybe because it just didn't appeal specially the back. To a person who's always loved the safari for its looks the tail mounted spare was something you identified with. So I really hope he decides to go with it. If he does do take pictures . Process wise and finished product. All the best . I saw a few well done Scorpios also . AGM did a body kit with a back tyre too. IMHO it looks fab .
Regards
Imran
Old 24th August 2013, 18:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always liked the tail gate mounted spare wheel on the Safari, but I am not sure how it will go with the Storme. Also, many members suggested the effects of such modification like handling issues, altered aerodynamics, tailgate misalignment, hinges, etc... however, I quote from the official review of the Storme by Tanveer, that how it is more practical and good for you as an owner:

Tanveer writes & I quote:

Quote:
Practically speaking however, this change will go a long way in making the ownership experience better. For starters, the tailgate is lighter and the probability of rattle / vibration is greatly reduced. Secondly, mounting the spare back meant lifting the 16 inch wheel to chest level. This could very well result in a back injury. Now, there is a simpler mechanism (like other UVs) where a rotary nut gently lowers the wheel or raises it up, depending on your need. In fact, it's easier than placing the spare in the boot of a hatchback! That said, I myself am a fan of the older "spare on tailgate" look. I feel it gave the Safari a brute personality.
The above should make your arrangement feel good.

Regards,
Saket
Old 24th August 2013, 19:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
A friend recently purchased a Storme VX 4x4 and is looking to add the tail-mounted spare tyre holder, as it was in the Dicor.

1. Is it even possible?
2. What are his options?
3. What about rear crumple zones and other safety issues?
4. I am sure many of you might have thought of it, will it look good on the storme?

I am looking for something like this.
why not something like this instead of tail gate mounted spare? its certainly cooler and doesn't harm the tail gate hinges too.

both pictures show the same off-road gear, in open and closed positions.
for similar examples just google Towbar mounted sparewheel carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Tail-Gate mounted spare wheel for SUVs-swc_challenger_98_open.jpg  

Tail-Gate mounted spare wheel for SUVs-swc_challenger_98.jpg  

Last edited by msaudf : 24th August 2013 at 19:17.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 10:15   #10
BHPian

I used to have a Safari, being a person paranoid about visibility while driving, I always felt the spare tire at the back came in the way and reduced visibility.

Even the tow-bar or bumper mounted swing arm contraptions seems to cut out rearview significantly.

However, if one wishes one could have a fake wheel cover which may not add significantly to the weight of the rear hatch door and may not be a strain on the hinges. My 2c's worth!

My experience with looks is, one gets used to it and they grow on you. I bought a Corolla against my wife's wishes (shed did not like the looks) over a hotter looking Civic!

Except for a rare taunt, she got used to it Again like someone said, looks are subjective.
soonya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonya View Post

However, if one wishes one could have a fake wheel cover which may not add significantly to the weight of the rear hatch door and may not be a strain on the hinges. My 2c's worth!
Exactly same thought here!

If you wish to add spare wheel to the back, why not go for a fake thing? You can put the old original Safari branded wheel cover and no one would know whats on the inside! Moving a full tyre to the back door will be big task and will always keep giving niggles.

Apart from this, I have a question, what about the Eco-Sport?
Agreed its a smaller wheel but how has Ford designed the thing? May be some things to learn. Lets wait and watch the EcoSport!
Old 25th August 2013, 11:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Apart from this, I have a question, what about the Eco-Sport?
1, Smaller wheel. so easier to engineer & mount

Importantly - just take that wheel off, and see what the ES will look like .. it'll fall flat on it's face as a SUV

Tata had good reason to remove the spare from the tail gate. Ford has much more at stake to get the wheel onto the tailgate
Old 25th August 2013, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since the normal Safari and the Storme share so many body parts, I think the wisest thing to do would be fit a complete Safari rear door on the Storme, that way there will be the least amount of tinkering to be done and the Storme rear door can be retained for future use
Old 5th November 2014, 20:27   #14
BHPian

Rear Mounting of Spare wheel in my Scorpio

Hi!

I am looking on mounting the spare wheel on the rear of my SCORPIO. I need the experts to comment on what would be the right way of doing it.

1.Mounting it directly on the rear door with bolts,
2.Mounting it on a bar like arrangement (as shown in the pic)

I suppose the rear door would need some extra support to carry the weight of the spare wheel.

Pl suggest what other things need to be considered.
Also if anyone can suggest a reliable source of getting this done in Ahmedabad, Baroda or near by.

Thanks

Aditya
Attached Thumbnails
Tail-Gate mounted spare wheel for SUVs-156264900x500.jpg  

Old 5th November 2014, 21:38   #15
BHPian

Re: Rear Mounting of Spare wheel in my SCORPIO

Assuming the rear door can bear the load of the wheel on a regular basis, do not mount it directly on the door. The bolts may shear/ deform some body metal. Look at reinforcing the mount you get/ make from the inside and outside of the sheet metal, before loading the wheel.
latentpotential is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks