Team-BHP - Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/141729-anyone-tried-drive-smart-converts-car-ac-auto-climate-control.html)

Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control-drive-smart-blue-display.jpg

Has anybody tried this out. Came across it on Ebay. Claims to convert your regular car AC into a climate control one. See links below:

http://krrishtech.in/

http://www.ebay.in/itm/DRIVE-SMART-C...item1c315b05df

Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control-electrical-diagram.jpg

Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control-a4_inner_design.jpg

This looks tempting. But I guess I will wait for some reports before going for it. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anyone going in for this product. For one, climate control is highly over-rated. It's nice to have, but definitely not a must-have. What matters most in India is powerful air-conditioning hardware (with or without climate control).

Secondly, if your car is under warranty, you'll surely lose it.

Third, it looks plain ugly! Pictures from krrishtech. IMHO, simply not worth the trouble.

Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control-dsc04175.jpg

Anyone tried 'Drive Smart'? Converts Car AC to Auto Climate Control-spark-1.jpg

Awesome product. I always wanted Climate control and wondered if I could do a DIY myself. All it would need is a feedback from a temperature sensor and control the AC switch. Which is what is product is.

However, I would be very concerned if I have to cut wires to connect this, thus void my warranty in the process. Any idea if this needs a whole dashboard removal (which itself can pose several problems later) and cutting of wires?

I'll second that , its definitely not a deal breaker atleast for me. I would not put something like this , too concerned about the warranty as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3240016)
H For one, climate control is highly over-rated. It's nice to have, but definitely not a must-have. What matters most in India is powerful air-conditioning hardware (with or without climate control).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3240016)
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anyone going in for this product. For one, climate control is highly over-rated. It's nice to have, but definitely not a must-have. What matters most in India is powerful air-conditioning hardware

Spot on, I find Swift Vxi air conditioning more effective than my Zxi since I have better control of the parameters etc. climate control might be more effective in controlling heating though. Besides, there is more to go wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 3239471)
Attachment 1139634

Has anybody tried this out. Came across it on Ebay. Claims to convert your regular car AC into a climate control one. See links below:

This is NOT an automatic climate control module. It just adjusts the fan speed and switches the AC on/off according to a preset temperature. More like a electronic thermostat.

Climate control takes in lots of more parameters like outside temp, humidity etc to control the temp.

Probably in a new car, still under warranty, this device should not be installed.

I agree with @archat68 that this is not really a true ACC, but more like an electronic temp. control. But in an older car, precise control of the cabin temp. cannot be achieved without ACC. One would have to frequently adjust the blower setting or switch the compressor on and off depending on the outside temp. This device would probably help eliminate the necessity of manual intervention. And possibly help marginally reduce fuel consumption.

Thinking about trying it on my WagonR, once it's out of warranty.

I don't agree with some who say that ACC is not very important. Sure it isn't a deal breaker but to me it does make a huge difference.

BUT Climate Control Units in today's cars check for outside temperature, sunlight, direction of incident rays of sunlight, humidity, a breakup of the inside cabin temperature etc. this is far from as cutting edge. It merely does what you can manually do just as easily and looks shoddily integrated. Just my opinion.

An electronic thermostat with multiple switch/relay options works like charm.

Good quality ones cost hardly 700-800 rupee with multiple temperature inputs(measurement bulbs). They can be put in glove box or near the drivers leg - Can also be hidden completely if you don't need to adjust temperature every now and then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedate (Post 3240380)
An electronic thermostat with multiple switch/relay options works like charm.

Good quality ones cost hardly 700-800 rupee with multiple temperature inputs(measurement bulbs). They can be put in glove box or near the drivers leg - Can also be hidden completely if you don't need to adjust temperature every now and then.

@sedate have you tried/installed this on any car? If so, can you provide us some details on how this can be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 3240577)
@sedate have you tried/installed this on any car? If so, can you provide us some details on how this can be done.

The main use of the electronic thermostat is in large medical stores where they use it to control the deep chest freezers. The temperature of certain medicines need to be put at 4 degree C with very small allowance. I have worked on this requirement for a large air conditioning company and have used a third party electronic thermostat with their hardware. Have also used to control fans for a local poly house.

The one in car will be really simple - you reroute the on-off switch to the relay of the thermostat. Put the feeler bulb(thermistor!) in a place where temperature need to be monitored(best location will be mid point of front foot well). Many devices now have multiple relays - this way you can program them to control the fan speed too.

The device wont interfere with the electrical of your car as you are replacing(or putting in series) switch with magnetic relays.

Always make sure you don't cut the wires. We have lot of standard connectors available. Use them liberally.

The device can be put in the glove box. It should be a simple DIY. I am planning to put one for long time, but time is always short.

Some standard industry grade controllers are linked below -They look awesome. I am not sure of the price now a days.

http://www.omron-ap.co.in/product_in....asp?catlvl=78

Also make sure you buy the DC(12V DC) ones. They come as both AC(100V to 240V) and DC(9V to 48 V DC) powered models.

What happens in a car like Swift diesel, where the compressor never cuts ? Will this device act as a thermostat and cut the compressor when the desired temperature is reached ? If so, I think additional fuel saving can be achieved, although I agree to GTO's point, looks ugly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 3240659)
What happens in a car like Swift diesel, where the compressor never cuts ? Will this device act as a thermostat and cut the compressor when the desired temperature is reached ? If so, I think additional fuel saving can be achieved, although I agree to GTO's point, looks ugly.

I guess if looks matter, as @sedate said, it can be housed in the glovebox.

And! Lets bump this up again. I did see the installation procudre here and it seems fairly straightforward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqX4pbm6WI

Would like a much better looking console though. Any ideas or leads?