Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Hydrographics: Water Transfer Printing Process

Hello Bhpians,
I would like to share a process which is in its infancy or max. adolescence mostly with its limit-less applications (I suppose not many are aware of this). It is called as Hydrographics or Hydrodripping.

Definition:
Hydrodripping or HydroGraphics, also known as immersion printing, water transfer printing, water transfer imaging, or cubic printing, is a method of applying printed designs to three-dimensional objects.

Application:
The hydrographic process can be used on metal, plastic, glass, hard woods, and various other materials.

Illustration:
In the process, the substrate piece to be printed is pre-treated and a base coat material is applied. A polyvinyl alcohol film is gravure-printed with the graphic image to be transferred, and is then floated on the surface of a vat of water.An activator chemical is sprayed on the film to dissolve it into a liquid and activate a bonding agent. The piece is then lowered into the vat, through the floating ink layer, which wraps around and adheres to it.After removing the piece from the water, a top coat is applied to protect the design. With multiple dippings, hydrographics printing can achieve full 360° coverage of the part surface, including small crevices to get the desired print.

Reference: (God's own TV called You tube)
(Drum rolls)

Conclusion:
This process/technology is something that is new and is limited with a person's creativity.
As a teambhp member and creative auto enthusiast, the whole intent of this article was to spread awareness to our community and more importantly recognize and appreciate the creators behind the process called Hydro dipping. So here's for you guys

Quote: "Sharing is believing".

Note from Support - Smiley usage restricted to 2 per post only. Please avoid submitting posts which contain more than 2 smileys.

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th November 2013 at 15:51. Reason: No more than 2 smileys / post please
pratap.pratu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 08:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hydrographics: Water Transfer Printing Process

Interesting. Is this creative process being done here?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 14:51   #3
BHPian

Re: Hydrographics: Water Transfer Printing Process

@sudev: I dont think its made its way to India.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC a member had got the ORVMs and grill of his Ritz done in carbon fiber finish through this process. I couldnt find much info about where that post was or any further details. Also I could get many links on the web which sold DIY kits for water transfer printing. Guess we could order them and try a DIY.

Not sure if it is done in the retail sector but I believe the faux wood panels in cars are done in a similar process. A quick search on google led me to many agencies who are dealing in such stuff. Guess they do the job on a large scale to auto manufacturers and other industries.
Old 10th November 2013, 23:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
IIRC a member had got the ORVMs and grill of his Ritz done in carbon fiber finish through this process. I couldnt find much info about where that post was or any further details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-stickers.html

That would be in post #137 and #145.

Last edited by S2!!! : 10th November 2013 at 23:53.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks