Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:58   #1
BHPian

Altering pedal length (clutch, brake, accelerator) for comfort

Friends, this might be the most strange problem to come across on the forum.

This has to do with my wife who recently learned driving. Her problem is that when the heel of her feet/sandal touches the car floor, her toes or tip of her sandal barely manages to touch the brake pedal or the clutch pedal.

It becomes really tiring for her to drive even for 15 mins with her feet always up in the air. I have drawn some diagrams to make it more clear.

Picture A - shows the problem she has.

Picture B - one of the possible solution as told by friends though no one is sure of it, I was told to get a wooden plank fixed on the car floor so that the feet rest on a raised platform thereby reducing the distance to the pedals.

Picture C- which I think should be done so that the pedals reach closed to the car floor. dont know if this is possible. yet to check with the garage guys.

One more thing I should add is that my wife learned driving on an Alto and she claims her feets were easily able to reach the pedals. I drive a swift and may be she has this problem only with Tall boy designs. The same problem was there with Nano, wagonR and santro as well.

The problem may be very silly but nonetheless it has become an issue now. Request guidance and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Altering pedal length (clutch, brake, accelerator) for comfort-car-issue.jpg  

MaNishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Altering pedal length (clutch, brake, accelerator) for comfort

Not something uncommon that many of us experience there and we realize that it is a problem only when gradually realize.

The simplest thing you could do is get hold of the firewall material commonly used on the car's floor that exists below the OE floor carpet and install that right below the carpet. (something like a same layer on top of OE layer)

Just to give you a pictorial description of how it looks like, I am attaching the picture as below.

Altering pedal length (clutch, brake, accelerator) for comfort-firewall.jpg

This material can come in different thickness and ideally you can try with 1 or 1.5 inches which should considerably increase the height of the floor.

The second option would be to customize the pedals with a suitable angle which needs careful and clean execution.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd November 2013 at 17:26.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
Picture A - shows the problem she has.

Picture B - one of the possible solution as told by friends though no one is sure of it, I was told to get a wooden plank fixed on the car floor so that the feet rest on a raised platform thereby reducing the distance to the pedals.

As mentioned by paragsachania, adding some cusion under the mat or carpet is the best idea. Its easy too. You could also add hard foam instead of carpet as you can get it for any thickness.

When you lengthen the pedals, their throw increases . Hence, it will require more movement of the legs to operate. Moreover, since the pedal throw increases, it may not be pressed fully due to the floor that obstructs the movement. Hence dont modify the length of the pedals at any cost.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend you do anything with the OE pedals. What the guys above have suggested is the cheapest and best method to get over this problem.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 17:33   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Altering pedal length (clutch, brake, accelerator) for comfort

Here's a related thread with additional tips that might help.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 20:13   #6
BHPian

Re: Altering pedal length (clutch, brake, accelerator) for comfort

My experience thought. Get good after market pedal cover set. Some are border & longer. Try to buy a reputed make.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks