Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Very nicely done. As a city owner, could you please inform us and compare a normal through vs this projector setup. It will be awesome.

Please can someone points be to a reliable shop in NCR.

Thanks!
You can look for Retro Rraps. Even MXS does some really good jobs.

And for the last time, do look in the directory first. Would help a lot.
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:35   #32
BHPian

The pictures don't do any justice to what they look like. As far as the reach, spread and throw of the headlamps are concerned, I've driven vvb's City at night. When I switched the lamps on, fellow BHPian LatentPotential couldn't tell if they were on or no.
The reason was because the beam was pointing downwards, a bit too much. However, VVB has had them adjusted and the level is perfect now.

For all the City owners planning to get this mod done, go ahead! It looks amazing. But please be adamant about the levelling. It's a tedious task for the installers to get the levelling right and will try to wash their hands off it as quickly as possible.

Cheers!
Cartman.
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:20   #33
BHPian

Nicely done DRL and projectors! It turned out to be elegant because you decided to keep it simple. I'd say the best decision was to disconnect the colour ring. Now it looks simple and elegant. No overkill in any way.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:15   #34
BHPian

WOW. This looks really good. I am generally not a big fan of after market lights, but I must admit that these look really good. Partly, it could be because of your sensible choice to not go over the top and keep it simple and aesthetic. If I had it my way, I would insist that these should be the stock lights on a city
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:01   #35
BHPian

Hi Varun,

The DRL setup looks kick-ass. I remember spotting a similar setup on fellow bhpian, Ecosport Rules's Ecosport, and first thing I had done was called you up to check that out. Since then, we were toying with the idea of getting a similar set-up done in our cars. I am too in the queue to get a similar thing done in my City, my only worry is my Bi-Xenons are 3.2 inch in size, and they cover up the entire headlight assembly unit. So fitting DRL's would be tricky. I had similar discussion with the concept studio guy also, even he found it tricky.

However, as of now, I am very happy with the way the Bi-Xenon's in my car are working. Even without DRL's they are head turners for sure and as you said, everybody, absolutely everybody gives me way with just one flash of light.

PS: I am posting the photographs of my City, for benefit of those who want to see how the City looks without the DRL's and angle eye setup.

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-city-bixenon.jpg
City Standstill...

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-city-bixenon-2.jpg
With Bi-Xenon's on...

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-dsc_0014.jpg
Yet another angle, my personal best...

Honda City iVtec: Projectors & DRL setup-city-moving.jpg
My Poetry in Motion, aptly captured in Motion...

Photos Courtesy- Tourbo_torq & Cartman, thanks guys, the City looks beautiful.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:26   #36
BHPian

Hey Nilesh, you actually inspired us to get the Bi-Xenon done on our City.
But, as you rightly said, we saw the EcoSport you mentioned on this forum and started working out how the similar setup would look on our cars.
We actually got quotes from various shops.
And we also got some cheaper quotes elsewhere. But we got it done finally at Concept Car Studio, as he had already done a few cars before.
We chose experience over discount. Plus we ourselves were present during the entire installation process, tweaking various options.

But keeping it simple and elegant was important. And the results are for all to see.

Now we are waiting to see when you get these done. Photo shoot awaits us. Black, White & Sparkling Brown City's.
swapszone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:08   #37
BHPian

The whole set up looks really fab. The batmobile looks all classy and gorgeous. . A song's playing in my mind as look at it - "Sexy eyes.."

Last edited by Top-Gear : 3rd February 2014 at 15:09.
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:09   #38
BHPian

@OP: Nice setup. I was under the impression that 4300K is the OEM color temp in cars, and is warm. Yours appear to be very white? Also what brand is this kit?
Old 3rd February 2014, 19:36   #39
BHPian

Thank you one and all for your feedback and praise. It feels awesome to have got something done which is appreciated by fellow petrol heads and the gurus.

Ok so I had driven to Nashik over the weekend and drove back to Bombay last night and got to test the projectors for the first time on an unlit highway. For the benefit of those not aware of the Mumbai Nashi highway, this is a proper two lane on each direction highway with good roads, lot of twists and turns with a ghat section as well and not fenced so you have the occasional pedestrians jay walking and crossing the road in the dark as well as the bikers and autos taking sudden u turns and crossing the highways. Now for the review of the performance of the lights, I was impressed. Visibility was levels ahead compared to the stock headlamps as well the regular HID's without projectors that I had been using earlier. The throw of the beam was good and in terms of width and being wide spread provided proper 6 lane visibility but in terms of length although they provided me with visibility under emergency braking distance, I am still thinking it can be altered and improved, I think i will have to get the leveling done a little more and raise it a bit more upwards. I mean its not like it was a big problem, once in a while i did have to move to high beams for a few seconds at extremely dark patches but then so did another 5 series have to with a stock HID setup that i was driving along with. Let me try and see what can be done.

But the high beam deserves a standing ovation . At one point of time i was scared that someone should not drive off the road to give me way, ok sorry a little exaggerated . But trust me people move away with 2 to 3 flicks, genuinely put on their indicators and move aside. My non petrol head freinds in the car with me who had earlier ridiculed me and made fun of me for spending so much on headlights were chewing their own words by the time we reached Bombay. The only species that did not move away though were either the over loaded trucks who cannot even probably see in their rear view mirrors because their load covers the rear visibility or the vehicles with stickers or flags of political outfits on them because i think for them moving aside is more of an ego issue.

All in all I am happy with my decision and would definitely recommend. I see a lot of people showing interest in this setup, my advice is to please ensure that you do not get this done at any local accessory shop or garage as it is not an easy job, takes a full 12 hours for the install and since headlights could matter to your safety you do not want to be in a situation where the beam is not proper and effects your visibility. So please go to a professional who has experience, time and patience for such an install and can provide you support later on if things are not done the right way the first time.

Also for people using an HID for the first time as per me and from my experience it will take you some time to get used to driving with these blueish white lights as you are used to driving with yellow lights and you tend to look for the yellow beam automatically, so you may want to drive a bit slower till your eyes are adjusted to the colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
@OP: Nice setup. I was under the impression that 4300K is the OEM color temp in cars, and is warm. Yours appear to be very white? Also what brand is this kit?
AFAIK the OEM setup is 3000K which is yellow, 4300K is a mix between blue and white used on most stock setups as well, 6000K is too white and not recommended as it provides even lower visibility on well lit roads.

Thanks.

Regards,
VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:30   #40
BHPian

Varun, I have no doubts about the performance of these lights. Although I'm on a 6000k setup. The visibility is still good even on streetlights.
I happen to compare the lights with a BMW 320d. And the focus and the level is almost the same, both on high and low beams.
I remember you telling me about the level of the low beam coming up to the bumper of the car in the front. But it is the same on the 3 Series as well.
I'm more than happy as the visibility is much better than the stock setup.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
. But trust me people move away with 2 to 3 flicks, genuinely put on their indicators and move aside. My non petrol head freinds in the car with me who had earlier ridiculed me and made fun of me for spending so much on headlights were chewing their own words by the time we reached Bombay. The only species that did not move away though were either the over loaded trucks
I find a lot of people talking about using bright lights / HID only to get way and overtake. I sincerely hope that these are not used as tools to blind people, even from the rear. I for one cannot tolerate high beams even if it comes from the vehicle behind me as it hits the Rear View Mirror and hits your eye in turn.

I know VVB doesnt do it but i have observed many folks who drive around with 'white' high beam lights just for show off or just to get others out of their way.

Dont do it.

VVB - By the way, your pics showing the light spread over the road is pending.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I find a lot of people talking about using bright lights / HID only to get way and overtake. I sincerely hope that these are not used as tools to blind people, even from the rear. I for one cannot tolerate high beams even if it comes from the vehicle behind me as it hits the Rear View Mirror and hits your eye in turn.

I know VVB doesnt do it but i have observed many folks who drive around with 'white' high beam lights just for show off or just to get others out of their way.

Dont do it.

Raj, you are absolutely right. Varun doesn't do it anymore.

In fact you wouldn't need to drive on high beams anymore. Most give way just by looking at something beautiful coming at them. For rest just a flick does the job.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapszone View Post
Varun, I have no doubts about the performance of these lights. Although I'm on a 6000k setup. The visibility is still good even on streetlights.
I happen to compare the lights with a BMW 320d. And the focus and the level is almost the same, both on high and low beams.
I remember you telling me about the level of the low beam coming up to the bumper of the car in the front. But it is the same on the 3 Series as well.
I'm more than happy as the visibility is much better than the stock setup.
Yaa I know what you mean, i compared it to the 5 series and the level was the same, even compared the level with the stock headlights of my swift and at least the level was the same as in till the bumper of the car ahead. I guess maybe it is just in my head. Btw Swap were you able to test the headlights on your highway run? Any feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Dont do it.

Yes Raj you are right about people showing off and these are mostly people using HID's and not projectors which you have experienced while driving ahead of my city with only HID's that even the low beam hurts the eye. But i feel there is another reason for people with HID's driving on high beam, because they are not used to the white lights and on a well lit road they feel the visibility is less and hence switch on high beams. I have seen this with my Dad, whenever he drove my car he would tell me that i have to drive on high beam otherwise i cant see.

One of the reasons for me to go in for projectors also was that the HID's were an inconvenience to others. I try and drive as responsible as possible and the flashing of the projectors is used only when I am right in asking for the right of way from people who drive slow in a fast lane.

Yaa I know i just have not been able to manage time for clicking pics of the light spread. Very soon I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapszone View Post
Raj, you are absolutely right. Varun doesn't do it anymore.

In fact you wouldn't need to drive on high beams anymore. Most give way just by looking at something beautiful coming at them. For rest just a flick does the job.
Anymore???? I never used to anyways, Raj would get irritated with the low beam itself of the HID's whenever he would be driving ahead of me during the meets.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 11:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hi Guys,

I own a 2010 Honda City iVtec which I had been running on HID's for the past 3 years. Finally took the plunge and got installed projectors with DRL's.
The DRL looks awesome on the Honda City. Did you get them installed after the warranty was over? Somehow I do feel that these modifications may end up voiding warranty. I'm getting the ANHC CVT with extended 4 year Honda warranty so wanted to check before taking plunge..for me it'll just be DRL.

I'll also check with few shops in Bangalore to see if they have ever done something similar.
Old 7th February 2014, 13:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I'll also check with few shops in Bangalore to see if they have ever done something similar.
And when you do that, post your experience so that we can follow you I want to do similar stuff regardless of warranty to my SX4 but haven't come across any trustworthy store yet.

Most Viewed