Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 16:57   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Garmin launches Head-Up Display for Rs. 15,000

Related Thread: Link

Garmin launches an Interactive Head-up Display (HUD+) in India. HUD+ is the company’s first portable head-up display for free smartphone navigation apps.

HUD+ projects directions onto a transparent film on the windshield or an attached reflector lens. It receives navigation information from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone running a free companion smartphone app. The display automatically adjusts the brightness level, so projections are clearly visible in direct sunlight or at night.

HUD+ displays turn arrows, distance to the next turn, current speed and speed limit, as well as the estimated time of arrival. It even lets drivers know what lane to be in for the next maneuver and alerts them when they exceed the speed limit. HUD+ warns users of potential traffic delays and upcoming safety camera locations.

Spoken turn-by-turn directions are provided simultaneously by a compatible free Garmin HUD+ India navigation app, either through the smartphone speaker or a Bluetooth-connected car stereo. Music streamed to the car stereo from the smartphone will automatically fade out for turn-by-turn voice prompts. HUD+ continues to display navigation information while taking incoming calls.

Garmin launches Head-Up Display for Rs. 15,000-img_2856.jpg

Garmin launches Head-Up Display for Rs. 15,000-dsc_0016.jpg
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 21:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Garmin launches Head-Up Display for Rs. 15,000

If I leave my car parked outside, and someone sees this lying on the dashboard, I'm scared they might break the glass to get a hold of it.
I hope Garmin has a way to permanently integrate it on the dash!
ChrisFrancis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 17:59   #3
BHPian

Cool gadget to have in the car!

Although, I am a bit sceptical about the clarity of display on the transparent screen. I have seen these systems being tested on cars and the biggest and most painful problem to solve is controlling the vibrations on the dash being transferred to the projection lens. It wrecks havoc in a perfectly sensible design on paper. Vibrations sensed in magnitude of micrometers can render a very poorly focussed image on the windscreen.

Dedicated systems developed by BMW and the likes know the upper and lower bounds of vibration they need to compensate for. For an after-market product like this, I would imagine it would be very difficult to deliver a perfect image on every car.

Coming from Garmin, I hope this system has undergone extensive testing. But, I will wait and watch how it performs in the market before putting my money on it.
dgupta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 18:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Should the smartphone paired to the unit be running any specific navigation application ( Ex: Sygic) or is it system compatible with any navigation application including free ones like Google maps.
Just asking it since curious on how system makes out only the directions (arrows) from different maps.
Old 13th February 2014, 18:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

How is this system different from the various HUD apps in the android market?
I have used a few of them and they work well only at night.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 22:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Related Thread: Link

Spoken turn-by-turn directions are provided simultaneously by a compatible free Garmin HUD+ India navigation app, either through the smartphone speaker or a Bluetooth-connected car stereo. Music streamed to the car stereo from the smartphone will automatically fade out for turn-by-turn voice prompts. HUD+ continues to display navigation information while taking incoming calls.

A new variant HUD+ is available online now. If I buy it from US, would it have map support for India? Or is that exclusively controlled by the App downloaded from US or Indian store?
Old 18th August 2015, 18:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
A new variant HUD+ is available online now. If I buy it from US, would it have map support for India? Or is that exclusively controlled by the App downloaded from US or Indian store?
Most probably you have figured it by now. Let us know if you bought the HUD+ ? Did it involve purchasing india specific maps additionally ?
Old 18th August 2015, 19:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Most probably you have figured it by now. Let us know if you bought the HUD+ ? Did it involve purchasing india specific maps additionally ?
Hey there. I never bought it in the end. :(

I think HUDWAY app is a decent alternative to it though.
Old 24th March 2016, 07:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for the windshield film only so that I can use my Torque app on my Note 4. Garmin sells it for 1.8k from Amazon India. Any idea where else I can try.
Aliexpress always an alternative with a bewildering variety of prices as usual.
Old 25th October 2019, 15:03   #10
BHPian

Bumping up this thread, is there anyone who is using this Garmin HUD? I have a question, is it worth getting an used version of this for 3K INR as compared to using Google Map HUD mode over a reflective HUD setup available on Amazon for less than half this price? Of course this one will get the garmin app which seems to be predicting speed cams too. Any suggestions?
Old 1st November 2019, 23:12   #11
BHPian

This device has been discontinued. There are some Kickstarter projects that look attractive but there is still no aftermarket HUD from a reliable brand with a good feature set.
dksv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks