Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 17:52   #16
BHPian

Re: LED Fog Lamps as DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshg View Post
As a weekend project, I wanted to get some Daytime Running Lights fit on my Suzuki Estilo.

I didn't really prefer the LED strips that most cars have sitting between the grille. Many of them looked shoddy and out of place. Of course, there were some LED strips that went with the car really well too.
Vignesh: I have been so wanting to get these for my Fortuner. However, as my ride is not even 1 year old I have painfully managed myself not to give in to the temptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYN View Post
I have been actually searching for DRL type LED Fog Lamp that can actually fit into the Bumper like OE Accessories for my Toyota Etios GD.
WYN: if you know about Fortuner it will be helpful to me too. But I guess I will have to wait out the warranty period as my ride is not even 1 year old. I suspect Toyota may use this to deny warranty claim should there be a need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
How I wish all cars in India are sold with mandatory safety features like DRLs.
Torque: How I wish my Fortuner had come with these.
Old 19th March 2014, 22:19   #17

Thanks for this useful information. You mentioned that it is always ON when the engine is running, aren't the DRLs supposed to be turned OFF when regular headlights are ON?
Old 19th March 2014, 23:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

While they look pretty neat but is it just me or the light intensity doesn't match the regular DRLs?

I think its because of the scatter effect thing mentioned by others but what would work as a DRL substitute would be probably 9w LEDs that have the scatter effect, else it wouldn't really stand out as regular DRLs do, with respect to light intensity I mean.

The ones on Figo look way brighter, may I request the bhpian owning the Figo to share some daytime pics where its in bright sunlight at a farther distance please, thanks.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
They are connected to the ignition. Which means that they are, as the name suggests, running all the time the car engine is on. I was told that fitting a switch was not possible with this set up.

Vignesh
The name suggests "DayTime Running Lights" - not "All-time Running lights".
So I think there is a bit of confusion there.

I think there should be a way to add a switch to your DRL circuit. DRLs are supposed to be turned off automatically when the headlight is switched on.Since we cannot achieve this easily in an after-market DRL setup, it is always good to include a manual switch in the DRL wiring, so that it can be turned off at night.

Initially when I fitted DRLs on my car, the mechanic had told me that it can't be fitted with a switch. Later, I got the switch added by another mechanic who did it in just 10 minutes.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:54   #20
BHPian

Hi all,

I remember taking the store's business card but threw it somewhere inside the car. And I just found it.

The card reads:
Accessories Zone
Dealers in: Full range of fancy lighting items and accessories.
Sunil Mehta, #53/6, Sharada Complex, AM Road, Kalasipalyam New Extension, Bangalore 560 002.
Tel: 080-41575565 or +91 9448873155

Needless to say, there's no warranty or bill for this kind of stuff. Just cross your fingers and try them out, eh?

Regards,
Vignesh
Old 20th March 2014, 16:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damore View Post
...I have a similar setup on my Figo since past almost 2 years. I could manage to get my hands on Taiwan LEDs as DRLs which fitted in the Figo fog lamp space. However unlike vigneshg these are not projector looking DRLs but you can actually see the LEDs in it...
Could you please share where you sourced the lamps from??
Old 20th March 2014, 16:19   #22

Hi, I got it from one of dealers in Mumbai, Malad (W), Link Road, Dealer name - Popular Car Accessories. He had it on display on his racks and I happen to see them while asking him for Figo Fog lamps. 2 years back for the entire setup including the labor charges he charged me Rs. 2000/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
While they look pretty neat but is it just me or the light intensity doesn't match the regular DRLs?

I think its because of the scatter effect thing mentioned by others but what would work as a DRL substitute would be probably 9w LEDs that have the scatter effect, else it wouldn't really stand out as regular DRLs do, with respect to light intensity I mean.

The ones on Figo look way brighter, may I request the bhpian owning the Figo to share some daytime pics where its in bright sunlight at a farther distance please, thanks.
Hi fine69, yes they are pretty bright. I have some rodent destroying my wires at times and this time as well its the case . Will post the snaps once I fix the wires.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th March 2014 at 04:38. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 20th March 2014, 16:49   #23
BHPian

Good job Vignesh! They look like a neat fit and add to the look. i suggest you go for a switch and have control over the lights.
Old 20th March 2014, 16:53   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Accessories Zone
Dealers in: Full range of fancy lighting items and accessories.
Thanks for this vigneshg. Was planning on getting fog lamps for my WagonR but now these seem good Which part of Bangalore are you from? would like to take a look at the lamps in person before I pick them up
Old 20th March 2014, 17:09   #25
BHPian

Hi Vignesh,

Although these are installed as DRL's, can you also post a picture of how they look at night. Also, if they have any illumination on the road in the dark. Just curious.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 17:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

How is the light throw in dark?
Any pictures of the same?
Old 21st March 2014, 11:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Vignesh: I have been so wanting to get these for my Fortuner. However, as my ride is not even 1 year old I have painfully managed myself not to give in to the temptation.

WYN: if you know about Fortuner it will be helpful to me too. But I guess I will have to wait out the warranty period as my ride is not even 1 year old. I suspect Toyota may use this to deny warranty claim should there be a need.

Torque: How I wish my Fortuner had come with these.
One idea for you to confirm the warranty issue.
Next time you are at the service station, ask the service advisor/manager that under what term do they terminate the warranty?
scenario 1. Is it for cutting any wiring inside from the wiring harness and joining another wire?
scenario 2. what about the wiring is not cut but only small part of insulation is removed (e.g.1/4 inch) in between the full length of wire, to join another external wire.

What I have heard from accessories shop is that if the wiring harness is cut only then do they void the warranty and not in scenario 2.

Hope this helps you and also others facing similar dilemma.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYN View Post

Via a car magazine, I came across the attached "Esuse" LED DRL Type Fog Lamps.
Really what I was looking for. They had a quality look and build.
So I called them up. They said drop an email Sir.
OK, so I wrote to the Company months ago, gave a reminder but no response till date.
Out of luck with these ones.

Esuse drl for fog lamps is available at Emperor, Ernakulam for about Rs 9000 with warranty.

And yes, even I think the cost is a little on the higher side.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:11   #29
WYN

Thanks for the info Revintup... 9K is quite steep for Esuse! In my opinion, in this case its best to buy the best quality DRL's in the market (regular LED Bar/strip type though) from Hella India. I don't have pics to share. Had seem them during the Auto Expo 2014. They cost around Rs 5,000 to 6,000 and they come backed with a good 5 year warranty. I have seen Chinese knock-off DRL's being sold for 4,000 to 5,000 with no warranty.
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:27   #30
BHPian

Hi all,

Sorry for the late replies. Have been a bit busy.

When I got home yesterday night, I took two photos - one with the car in ignition (i.e. the new DRLs only) and the other with the headlamps on as well.

They seem to throw a good amount of light, doing a good job of being better low-beam headlamps.
The headlamps' beam, combined with the white LED light gives out a more white-ish colour overall, which is a good thing.

All in all, I'm impressed.

Regards,
Vignesh

PS- I probably could have chosen a better spot than outside my apartment. Oops.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Fog Lamps as DRLs-drl4.jpg  

LED Fog Lamps as DRLs-drl5.jpg  

vigneshg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks