Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 10:09   #1
BHPian

More power for my Miata - Engine swap or Forced induction?

Hi,

Although i have been a member here for a very long time, its been a while that i haven't posted. Now finally the time has come, and i seek for help and guidance from all to help me overcome this pickle. Hope this topic yield some fruitful results in terms of giving me a direction to what to do, so here goes.

In March 2014, I purchased a 1990 NA Mazda Miata. When the car came, it was in quite a pitiful condition. The mounts were all broken, foundation bolts all loose and the engine not performing at all. As it goes with all these old imports in India, the car had never been serviced properly. So me and the guys at Electron Performance took it to ourselves to restore it back to normal condition.

Here is a link of all the work gone into it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...a-miata-6.html

Updates:

What has been done till now:

Removing all the rust, powder coating and refurbishing all suspension and chassis components
New Foundation Bushing
complete change of all mounts and bushes
Engine flush and cleaning
Fixed the differential (since there was too much damage and we couldn't find a decent deal, for now its running a fully locked setup)
Refurbished steering rack
New brakes
New steering
New exhaust system

Stage 2 (in process now)

New suspensions
Locking differential
Roll Bars (at least if not a full roll cage)
Slightly altered body kit

For now, the car is drivable, but just. Since there was a shortage of time and resources, we opted for a fully locked differential which is not ideal for road use but quite helpful for keeping the car decently tail happy. Although, once the stage 2 mods are complete, I would have a better setup that can be used for both drifting as well as street purposes. And now here is what my query is:

After these mods are complete, for the purpose of general usage and drifting, the stock NA Miata still doesn't have enough power to cope up with high torque drifting situations, since the stock engine produces only about 118bhp. I want to upgrade the engine either by finding a V6 or a V8 that can be swapped into the body, or by Turbo/super charging the current engine to produce more power.

I wanted to ask, what would be the most feasible setup that can be opted for, an engine swap or a induction upgrade, that would be reliable and powerful enough to get the tail out in 9/10 situations, yet be reasonably within budgets? Please do throw in any sort of suggestions and ideas that can be discussed.
soulreaper_20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: More power for my Miata - Engine swap or Forced induction?

Your answer is right here : Miata Turbo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks