Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2006, 12:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Cobra ESD 7000 review

There is a dreaded sight on delhi roads. A white Sumo. Its not driven by mad taxi driver. Its not even driven, its parked. It has dark tints, and a gun mounted on top facing the rear. It shoots down anything that moves faster than the posted limit, and you are left with a 400rs fine.
In some cases you see it, sit on the brakes and save money, in other cases you pay. So to always have a timely advance warning, I got the Cobra ESD 7000 Radar detector. It was on a sale, 29$ only. Its called one of the worse radar detectors around due to its ability to give out false alarms, but nevertheless for the kind of Ka Band radars used here, its adequate. though it claims to detect POP etc., modern radars, I doubt that capability, and frankly speaking its not even needed.
Without much more rant, lets get down to the facts.
Its a small sized device which mounts on your windshield, and connects to the lighter adapter always listenning.
In the past few days of my driving around, it has saved me twice and given countless false alarms. Why false alarms? Well automatic doors work on X band, and whenever I passed a shopping mall a really loud beep is heard. But since it lists which band is the alarm on, no I know when its a real radar. Most police radars here are Ka Band. So X band, esp in front of shopping malls can be ignored. Also military radars near airports can trigger it off.
But insipite of this thi is handy. there is a a nice warm feeling to know that if there is the dreaded Sumo lurking at the next bend, I will be the first to know. It does not give really advace warning, just adequate, so if you do 100+ in a 50 zone you are still toast, but since I never do that, its always more like 60 in a 50 zone this is enough for me.
If you want a real fancy unit go for a whistler unit costing 50-150$. There are 300$ units available too, but thats overkill for India.
Old 18th August 2006, 12:48   #2
BANNED

Sounds interesting at that price. Where did you buy it?
Old 18th August 2006, 12:52   #3
BANNED

6o kmph on these roads ?? ha ha .. great.. the roads here act as my radar detector.. apart from shakn my teeth loose.. wat does setup involve??
Old 18th August 2006, 13:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

@boom, I bought it at San Jose(Fry's)

@janeeckozzy. The roads are too good in Delhi, esp the major ones, Well lit, six laned. Noida is even better because the traffic is not there . As for the setup, you just need to buy this detector, open the case, put the windshild mount with suction cups and clip on the detector. The chord goes into the 12V power socket(I got 3 sockets, so I can connect GPS, FM Transmitter and Detector all in one go)
Old 18th August 2006, 19:59   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff TSK!! I never thought they'd work in india!
Old 19th August 2006, 02:44   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

but is it available here in india?
Old 4th October 2006, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Cobra ESD

Hey Guys,

I too sourced one from states and it works great. It does give some false warnings but for sure you will know about that dreaded Sumo. So, it cool.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks