Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 22:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Turbo-Charged Honda Civic

It's always nice to see such threads I genuinely enjoy reading about users who pour more cash into their present rides to make them better instead of all the new car comparisons and purchases

Got a few questions: is the car tuned to be far quicker post 100kmph? I ask this because a 0-100 time of 8.8 seconds while a huge improvement, seems a bit slow for a car spitting out 225bhp. For comparison purposes, I remember doing a few runs on a newly built, closed-off section of the outer ring road, when I first bought the Kizashi. My best time was 7.8 seconds and I felt mighty proud of it since while it was advertised to do it in 7.5, no Indian automobile magazine had got such a good time Now my car is nearly 300 kilograms heavier, nearly 50 horses down on power and from the graphs you posted it appears my car is atleast 25 newtonmeters down on torque, not to mention your car is also using an Exedy stage 1 clutch. Shouldn't your car be posting much better times?

I love most of what you have done with the car especially those guage pods. Kudos to MM for fabricating them so well. However, can I please request you to get rid of those LEDs in the fog lamp housing? They simply don't do justice to the flowing lines of the Civic IMO

Lastly, Kudos to your Dad not many Fathers I know like blowing cash on modifying their son's ride your one lucky guy. Also nice to see a fellow bhpian Bhuvan-Prasad help out so much

Cheers and be safe!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th May 2015 at 22:10.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 22:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I don't want to sound like a party pooper, but I just couldn't help thinking that 0- 100 in 8.8 secs is a bit slow for a 225 bhp car. I mean a chipped GT TDI with 130 bhp could probably hit that time. So what's the deal here? Too much wheel spin? Turbo lag?
Glad you could share your opinion with us nakul0888, everyone is entitled to one. Yea there was some wheelspin but as Bhuvan explained earlier the car is mainly built for having fun inside the city because I rarely take it out on open roads. I guess it's all about how you tune the car. The dynograph prettymuch explains how the power is spread across. My requirements didn't involve putting out good numericals and I'm really happy with how the car performs now. That being said, I'd love to see what numbers a chipped GT TDI would put out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Do you mean it was producing 103 bhp at the wheel? Because I feel 103 bhp at the crank is way too low. Honda advertised it as 130 bhp,so how can the performance drop this much?
Yup Doge, as mentioned by Bhuvan in his post 103 was at the wheels. I'm not sure what multinationals put on the brochure, I'm sure the Dyno at RD is perfect with the graphs. Also note that we were running fatter 225ers when we ran it on the dyno. The numbers always remain a mystery to me so I will leave it to the experts to comment on it.
blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 22:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Thank you abhii176. I'm gratified that you loved the car and enjoyed the post. Its one of those few things that got me really obsessed with.

The FXRs are brilliant when its dark and there are no streetlights or oncoming traffic. Once I have bright yellow lights from behind or from oncoming traffic the light from the projectors seen non-existent. Maybe its because its only meant for low beams. Bhuvans setup has the best of both worlds so if he finds his projectors useless he can always put the high beam on. I have no experience with other projector setups other than the FXRs. But frankly I wouldn't recommend them at all. I'm not sure if there are better aftermarket ones out there. The over-bright LED light bars are my only solace in some streets. Took the car on the highway once, was shocked with how pathetic the illumination of the projectors are. With the light bar they are perfect, I easily have around 10 feet (slightly exaggerated) of super bright throw in front of me. So I advice you again not to go for a setup with only the FXRs. Hope this helps.
Thanks blahman, that is very helpful indeed. I guess the FXR setup doesn't seem as good an idea now. And since it's only a single H4 bulb in the Punto, which I was planning to replace with the projector, I won't have the luxury of a separate high beam bulb. Thanks for your inputs man!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 22:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It's always nice to see such threads I genuinely enjoy reading about users who pour more cash into their present rides to make them better instead of all the new car comparisons and purchases

Got a few questions: is the car tuned to be far quicker post 100kmph? I ask this because a 0-100 time of 8.8 seconds while a huge improvement, seems a bit slow for a car spitting out 225bhp. For comparison purposes, I remember doing a few runs on a newly built, closed-off section of the outer ring road, when I first bought the Kizashi. My best time was 7.8 seconds and I felt mighty proud of it since while it was advertised to do it in 7.5, no Indian automobile magazine had got such a good time Now my car is nearly 300 kilograms heavier, nearly 50 horses down on power and from the graphs you posted it appears my car is atleast 25 newtonmeters down on torque, not to mention your car is also using an Exedy stage 1 clutch. Shouldn't your car be posting much better times?

I love most of what you have done with the car especially those guage pods. Kudos to MM for fabricating them so well. However, can I please request you to get rid of those LEDs in the fog lamp housing? They simply don't do justice to the flowing lines of the Civic IMO

Lastly, Kudos to your Dad not many Fathers I know like blowing cash on modifying their son's ride your one lucky guy. Also nice to see a fellow bhpian Bhuvan-Prasad help out so much

Cheers and be safe!
Thank you for your kind words IshaanIan. I apologize I can't further explain on the 0-100 run, I maxed out my tech knowledge when I replied to nakul0888 . I'm sure Bhuvan and Joel can put it across better. The Kizashi is one sweet ride. Its like spotting a unicorn on the road. Love the dual exhausts that come stock!

Yup the pods have come out really well. They do a splendid job with fabrications. They have this insane body kit for the Cruze. It almost inclined me towards buying a second hand Cruze and slapping them on. I shall pass on the compliments to dad, thanks again .
blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 00:30   #20
BHPian

A really fantastic love story Blahman. It takes great pleasure in knowing that we have such passionate members on this forum who will go to great lengths to get their car looking just right.

My father had a Civic 1.8 too. ( We upgraded to an A4 177bhp monster. No complaints ! )

What a lovely car she was. Reading your post kinda made me nostalgic about her. So thank you for that.

Also, if it's not too much, can I PM you about a few queries I have regarding modding ?

Happy motoring mate ! Stay sharp !
shoaib3030 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 07:44   #21
BHPian

Wow awesome build, may be a bit too "riced up", but nevertheless I'm sure you enjoy it everyday. I was surprised that the FXR projectors do not provide good illumination. I'm wondering did any cops pull you over anytime for using those LED light bars as I believe they are illegal on street roads. Can you share how much did that OZ rims cost you please. Thanks.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 08:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
A really fantastic love story Blahman. It takes great pleasure in knowing that we have such passionate members on this forum who will go to great lengths to get their car looking just right.

My father had a Civic 1.8 too. ( We upgraded to an A4 177bhp monster. No complaints ! )

What a lovely car she was. Reading your post kinda made me nostalgic about her. So thank you for that.

Also, if it's not too much, can I PM you about a few queries I have regarding modding ?

Happy motoring mate ! Stay sharp !
Thanks shoaib3030, the civic sure is a wonderful canvas to go crazy on. I remember all the ruckus the A4 created when Audi pull the sheets off of it. They sure did shape how manufacturers designed headlights for good. Of course you can pm me about the build, glad I can be of help .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Wow awesome build, may be a bit too "riced up", but nevertheless I'm sure you enjoy it everyday. I was surprised that the FXR projectors do not provide good illumination. I'm wondering did any cops pull you over anytime for using those LED light bars as I believe they are illegal on street roads. Can you share how much did that OZ rims cost you please. Thanks.
Haha, well all the cosmetics aren't for everyone's liking. I remember dad going, "why hasn't the paint job completed yet?" when he saw how non-glossy it was. Yea the FXRs were a let down, I did get asked to switch off the LED light bars once because of the obvious discomfort it causes for the oncoming traffic. Hence I don't run them in the city much. I don't think they are illegal per se though. The alloys were a 1.13L.
Old 7th May 2015, 10:53   #23
BHPian

Excellent thread, come up at the right time for me. I have a corolla waiting to be boosted, got all the parts under my bed waiting to get into the car. A have a few questions hope you can answer.
How much boost can the stock internals on the civic engine take? ( my engine google tells me 8psi)
When did the stock injectors max out? (I am planning to stick to stock ones see where they max out before putting more coin into it)
What is the size of the exhaust piping and the intake pipes? I have a 2.5in magnaflow exhaust which i do not want to ditch.
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:20   #24
BHPian

Very neat job! Kudos!
Can you also post a video of how the car sounds? It would be fun to hear
dumdum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:35   #25
BHPian

A few clarifications on the build -

The 0-100kph time is tested by Bhuvan and not by us officially. The setup of this turbo is to keep the power climb very linear. Having said that, the car is heavily footed with 17 inchers and a very wide 225 section rubber. It scrubs a lot of the acceleration and the outer wheel diameter plays an important role. Switch to 15 or 16 and it will be a lot quicker. An easy 7 sec car this is.
The car was built and tuned around the requirements of Anoop, not to make it a dashing 0-100kph car. For that we have enough race builds which do under 5 secs. Our quickest at this point being 3.8 secs to 100kph in a Honda city!
The acceleration post 100kph despite the larger wheel size is what is interesting. The in-gear acceleration is a breeze and can put the diesels to shame.
The torque curve was meant to be linear to produce more grunt at low and mid revs to help city driving. Bhuvan on the other hand with the 16g turbo has superb top end power - since the turbo housing is fairly larger.
What makes a car fast is the way the torque graph is laid out. This car has peak power at redline and peak torque a few hundreds earlier. On bhuvans build courtesy a larger turbo, the peak torque and peak power we at the redline, which although had near similar horsepower output, had different acceleration characteristics. Had we opened up a few more engine revs - to 7500rpm, it would further climb another 10-15whp. But we chose not to, since we need factory reliability and we are boosting an NA engine which has a static 10:1 compression ratio with cast internals.
The build is focussed on highway cruising, good fuel economy for city/highway and beating the bumper to bumper traffic chores and factory reliability.
The engine is currently running 9.5psi true. The injectors are 350cc - high impedance.
The two civic turbo builds have 2 entirely different character although they run near identical boost.

A stock civic puts nearly 98-100whp on the dyno we tested. This civic had a cold air intake kit in stock, hence put out 103whp. Readings vary across dynos and there are different types of dynos. The reference is right when you do the runs before and after on the same dyno to see the difference and the gain is all that matters.
A stock civic rated at ~130 has transmission losses and the meansured output is 25-30% lower. The same applies to all the cars. A cedia reads 85-88whp.
Some dynos are calibrated to factor wheel losses and hence show higher values. The 223hp graph was measured to near crank values. The actual wheel horsepower output of this car is 175whp @9psi.
So from a stock 103whp (with a cold intake) we have managed to extract nearly 75whp with the boost upgrade. So thats a near 75% increase in horsepower over stock at the wheel.

Last edited by fieroid : 7th May 2015 at 12:36.
fieroid is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 13:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Excellent thread, come up at the right time for me. I have a corolla waiting to be boosted, got all the parts under my bed waiting to get into the car. A have a few questions hope you can answer.
How much boost can the stock internals on the civic engine take? ( my engine google tells me 8psi)
When did the stock injectors max out? (I am planning to stick to stock ones see where they max out before putting more coin into it)
What is the size of the exhaust piping and the intake pipes? I have a 2.5in magnaflow exhaust which i do not want to ditch.
Whoa nice to read that there's another turbo build coming up! Err you'll have to ask Joel (Fieroid) all the tech stuff. Good luck with the build .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Very neat job! Kudos!
Can you also post a video of how the car sounds? It would be fun to hear
Thanks dumdum (meant no offence, just mentioning your teambhp handle ). Yup I'll take a few nice pictures of the car and a video too over the weekend.

Glad you could explain on the build and clarify things for everyone Joel, thanks.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:21   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Attachment 1367496

Attachment 1367497

Attachment 1367498

I met Bhuvan when he was in Bangalore a...........Until then please bear with the pictures from a Nexus 5.

Hope you had a good read.

Hello Blahman,

Excellent thread - informative, gripping and providing the necessary boost to other hopefuls looking for the perfect mod! And today, with the professional outfits that are there in the country, after market conversions are a great and safe way to rejuvenate one's ride.

I need some information/data to jack up my own enthusiasm for a mod. and I hope you can help:

1) What was the average MEP(mean effective pressure) and peak pressure at max output (continuous rating) before and after the conversion

2) What was the average manifold exh temp before the conversion, again at max output

3)What was the average manifold exh temp, exh temp at inlet/outlet of t/charger after conversion, at max output.

This data should be available from the team who carried out the conversion and would help me come to grips with the changes in mechanical/thermal stressing of the engine scantlings during the conversion process.

Enjoy your ride!
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 19:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Blahman,

Excellent thread - informative, gripping and providing the necessary boost to other hopefuls looking for the perfect mod! And today, with the professional outfits that are there in the country, after market conversions are a great and safe way to rejuvenate one's ride.

I need some information/data to jack up my own enthusiasm for a mod. and I hope you can help:

1) What was the average MEP(mean effective pressure) and peak pressure at max output (continuous rating) before and after the conversion

2) What was the average manifold exh temp before the conversion, again at max output

3)What was the average manifold exh temp, exh temp at inlet/outlet of t/charger after conversion, at max output.

This data should be available from the team who carried out the conversion and would help me come to grips with the changes in mechanical/thermal stressing of the engine scantlings during the conversion process.

Enjoy your ride!
Shashanka
Thank you shashanka, the tuning and modifying atmosphere in India is on an other level now because of people who are in the business not only for the money but genuine passion to up the ceiling for the same.

I recommend you get in touch with Joel (fieroid) from RaceConcepts and the lads from RaceDynamics who do justice with the information you require. Here's hoping to see a lot more tuned cars on the road from fellow enthusiasts .
Old 8th May 2015, 10:37   #29
BHPian

Factors that are considered for an ideal turbo build are,
Evaluate the Turbo compressor map
measure EGT, pre-turbo
Build the plumbing etc to attain the desired VE from the engine.
Most important in the end being - mapping the engine right for all throttle points across the boost reference.
fieroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 23:13   #30
BHPian

This is what I call a build Sir! Congrats on the same. If only I had a mod-friendly Japanese car sitting in my garage, would definitely do what you have done, with the pocket permitting of course.

The alloys slapped on with 225ers looks oh-so-great. Great choice of colour too!

Curious: By how much would the 0-100 time increase if you tune it for utmost outright perfromance?

Cheers,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks