Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2006, 04:39   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Throttle Body Enlargement / Expansion

does anybody know where i can get the throttle body of my zen enlarged.how much increase in power will i get.will i have to get any secondary mods done too which affect the throttle body.and how much would it cost.?i already have a k&n cone filter and a free flow without the headers.
Old 16th September 2006, 09:12   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
does anybody know where i can get the throttle body of my zen enlarged.how much increase in power will i get.will i have to get any secondary mods done too which affect the throttle body.and how much would it cost.?i already have a k&n cone filter and a free flow without the headers.

Hi,

Would not recommend the same without headers.

Viper
Old 16th September 2006, 13:51   #3
BHPian

what about with headers, who would do this then?
Old 16th April 2007, 17:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Throttle Body Expansion

Well, I had a few queries on Throttle body expansion and thought I'd use this thread instead of starting a new one.

My OHC is running on conical Intake and a Automech FFE including headers on the exhaust side.

What are the Pro's and Con's of a Throttle body expansion supplementing this existing setup?

From what I can gather till now:

Pro's
  • Better Pickup & Response
Con's
  • Will have to use better fuel for optimal results. Better=Expensive !!
  • Lower FE. But is this in regular driving or only at higher RPM's
Am I correct in the above? Any additional Pro's/Con's or Precautions to be kept in mind?

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2007 at 01:47. Reason: Merged to a more appropriate thread. Thanks for continuing a discussion and not starting a new thread...
Old 17th April 2007, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, to add to the above point ..

Based on discussions, I have come to understand that not all cars are equally amenable to throttle body expansions.

Which means to say that certain cars have scope for a 1mm shave and others about 3mm+. A 1mm shave may not give enough bang for the buck.

Is this correct?

Which leads to my second question - what is the scope of expansion on a OHC?

Regards
Old 20th April 2007, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manveet

Though I do not know specifics about the Honda OHC's possibility of throttle body enlargement, I am sure it can be done, but like you fightly said the extent of the "shave" would be car specific. I have got it done on my lancer, the response is better than before but then that could be also coz I got the whole engine etc etc etc etc, all done in one go. The details of work done on my car are posted on "Newly Modded Lancer". You can PM Arush if you wish he may be the guy to let you know of the technical details......Hope this helps

Cheers
Old 20th April 2007, 14:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well Ricky, I know it helps but to what extent? Also, I am specifically interested in understand OHC TB expansion margin.

There is just one Autopsyche OHC but with only cosmetic Mods. AFAIK, Arush hasn't had the opportunity to work on a OHC Throttle Body. Still, I'll PM him.

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2007, 14:41   #8
BHPian

What exactly is done to enlarge a throttle body? Is it an effective mod on the zen?
Old 20th April 2007, 22:08   #9
BHPian

well, to my knowledge increasing the throttle body diameter will make more air get into the engine. the air mass sensor, detects the increase in air volume n commands the ECU to supply more fuel thus increasing the power, it is best accompanied by a free flow air filter...... but this mod is sure to hke the fuel consumption..... pls correct me if am wrong
Old 21st April 2007, 01:45   #10
BHPian

hey baddy! that seems to be a good enough description but i guess using a piggy back device or a complete ecu remap could help ! but like most performance upgrades its always at the cost of FE!!
Old 22nd April 2007, 03:20   #11
BHPian

hey buddy since u own a honda ohc,you can ask viper if he can get you a genuine bigger throttle body(not ported/shaved) and a jdm spec intake manifold,that would make a world of a difference as far as performance goes,abt fe it depend's on everyone's driving style,but practically yes fe will drop with higher volume of air-intake the ecm will supply more fuel to keep the air-fuel mixture stoich,but as its been told to gain something you have to lose something..hehe..cheers..happy revvin..!!
Old 27th April 2007, 23:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
well, to my knowledge increasing the throttle body diameter will make more air get into the engine. the air mass sensor, detects the increase in air volume n commands the ECU to supply more fuel thus increasing the power, it is best accompanied by a free flow air filter......
its not that straightforward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddy View Post
but this mod is sure to hke the fuel consumption..... pls correct me if am wrong
wouldn't relate fuel consumption directly to TB size..
Old 27th April 2007, 23:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
What exactly is done to enlarge a throttle body? Is it an effective mod on the zen?
depends on what else u got there under the hood...
so what you got ?

Last edited by chetanhanda : 27th April 2007 at 23:11.
Old 27th April 2007, 23:56   #14
BHPian

Stock 1L engine, K&N, headers+exhaust
Old 28th April 2007, 01:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
depends on what else u got there under the hood...
so what you got ?
Chetan it would help if you could be more straightforward and explaind if you knew..what really happens in TB enlargement and and what other enhancements are required to make it effective. Pros and cons it doesnt matter what anyone has under their hoods as if some body knew what should be under the hood they wouldnt have posted on this thread..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks