Team-BHP - Convertible Zen / M800: A Proposed Hack Job...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Convertible Zen / M800: A Proposed Hack Job... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/17232-convertible-zen-m800-proposed-hack-job.html)

Hi.

Being "inspired" (a la Bhappi Lahiri / Anu Mallik) by the drop top Zen Classic in the Weird & Wacky Mod Jobs post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post294688), I've been playing around all day, with the idea of taking up this as my next car project / hobby / something to get away from it all...

To answer your questions before you ask:

The Job:
Since I don't want to end up with a rather expensive showpiece to place in my garage (or worse, scrap!), I needed a few questions answered first:
  1. Would this be legal?
  2. What clearances from the RTO / other authorities would be required?
  3. Would I be able to insure the end vehicle?
  4. Would you guys like to chip in with time / effort / money / donor car?
Still thinking this one through, so any inputs would be welcome. This also might not happen at all, so please don't get your hopes up.

Ciao!

hey there! hmm all u need on that car is scissors !!
well about the legality i dont think you should have any issues (sply in india) as if webasto folding roofs are legal theres not much more you are doing except the b and c pillars!! shouldn't be an issue as far as i think and if you have rto clearance then im sure you can get insurance on it!!
enjoy!!

As far as I know, any modifications to the body shell, engine & chassis are illegal according to the RTO.

And I don't know about smaller towns & cities, but here in Bombay the RTO are damn strict, at least with respect to private vehicle owners.

I'd like to do this legally & the right way, or not at all.

PS: I know that Maruti uses really thin sheetmetal dude, but a blow torch would be required - not scissors!

Illegal, and highly so. So I doubt you can get clearance from the RTO etc.

I know you are adamant on the Maruti angle, but I would suggest a Daewoo Matiz, Cielo, or even a Contessa. The single advantage is that all these three have a higher boot area/C pillar than the bonnet/A pillar. This would make a convertible/topless car look better. Also, all three are cheap.

The Cielo & Contessa aren't to my taste - wanted a hatch.

Also, the main reason I didn't want the Matiz, (although it would've looked great), is that there's been a resurgence in interest in the vehicle due to the expected Chevy Spark, & prices are slowly rising again. Spares are still expensive & a problem.

Should've never sold my Esteem ... :mad:

Elf are you serious about this??

If you are (which I have very serious doubts about knowing you it could just be another prank!) then let me put it you simply DON'T DO IT.

Messing with the monocoque will only seriously diminish the rigidity of the shell & no amount of bracing/stiffness will bring it upto the mark. Let me give you a simple example: Say in a fit of rage I chop off your legs & then have two artificial legs installed, sure you'll be able to walk but it won't be the same as having your two natural legs, now would it??

Also no garage would be able to give you the fit-and-finish that you are looking for. Any work of this nature will only result in a shoddy finished product. And why would you want a convertible Zen/Alto/Matiz. If you wanna blow up money buy a San Storm instead :D But if your ultimate aim is to look like the ultimate twat of Mumbai then it's a different matter altogether.

P.S. If your aim is what I mentioned then more power to you brother rl:

[quote=iraghava]Elf are you serious about this??

Arrey Ishaan,

Of course he is. Tbhp is sponsoring the car, Sam the sound system and interiors and me the engine. Now we need someone to sponsor the rest.lol:

Viper

Elf.. in the immortal words of some guy that keeps popping up in the Billy Madison movies...
"YOU CAN DO EET!!!"
You have my full MORAL support only.. for any other kind please look elsewhere.
C ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf
The Cielo & Contessa aren't to my taste - wanted a hatch.

No seriously think about it .... Cielo convertible ....red color.... and every where you keep pulling handbrakes and sliding and showing people written in Arial 56 Font (Golden Color) ...... MUSTANG

lol: rl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper
Arrey Ishaan,

Of course he is. Tbhp is sponsoring the car, Sam the sound system and interiors and me the engine. Now we need someone to sponsor the rest.lol:

Viper

Good for you all, you chaps have too much money lying around anyways!! And I think KB 10000000000 should be happy to sponsor the rest of the stuff, maybe SpeedZack can chip in too :D

If you guys are looking at me forgetaboutit I won't give you any support moral, fiscal or physical:D

P.S. Why don't you turbo it too while you are at it!! It'll become a good jelly box for you to play around with it!! Viper/Psycho can you please help him!!

The overwhelming support from one of the financial sponsors & one of the moral sponsors has left me overwhelmed.

Now all I need is for Sam to tell me to take a hike, thankyouverymuch.

@iraghava: Beta, I know that I won't have the structural rigidity of a battle tank, but some of it should be made up with bracing. It's a trade off every convertible makes.

@viper: All this talk from iraghava about breaking legs has me worried about you... you sure he didn't do yours just to prove a point? These Dilli-wallahs are known to get carried away during arguments...

@F50: I like the handbrake turn idea - simply cut through metal when it's whole, don't lift off top. Find empty flyover & pull handbrake whilst turning wheel. Instant convertible. I'll get even more looks than them rich monkeys in SL500s!

To reiterate, I'd like to do this as a fun project - this shall not be my daily driver & I can afford to experiment & if the end result is crappy, then can trash it (or sell it to a newbie BHPian).

I am serious about this. As serious as the Prawn Koliwada TBHP meet held recently. Jeez! Feel like the kid who cried "Oolf!"

Elf.. just coz you went that side of town me thinks you now have a case of DCitis...
What next.. you gonna chop the roof off a RR?
Or stretch a Rickshaw?(hmm not a bad idea though)
EDIT: when did monkey get an SL?? har har har!!

'Ow you say zees in french? uhhhh

Hikez-vous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F50
No seriously think about it .... Cielo convertible ....red color.... and every where you keep pulling handbrakes and sliding and showing people written in Arial 56 Font (Golden Color) ...... MUSTANG

lol: rl:

Actually there's one Red Cielo convertible in Moradabad too and the guy's chopped off both the B & C pillars and there is no provision of a roof of any kind - al fresco motoring California style!!!

It's looks horrid, let's not talk about the ride and there is no such thing existing as Handling!! But I think F50 you're right I think what it's really missing is the Mustang in the back, apply that sticker and it should be instantly converted into a HOT ridelol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
'Ow you say zees in french? uhhhh

Hikez-vous.

Uhhhhh... actually it's "prendre une hausse"

Thank you Google:D

Now wiz Monsieur Zam zaying to me hikez-vouz, all ze 'opes for ze zponzairsheep 'ave been dashed to ze ground, like La Tour Eiffel made from ze pack of cards...

Ok. Shall build one on my own. Subject to legal issues being sorted out, for which I'm still awaiting serious answers.

No drives for anybody in my new jelly cart. :p That means no alfresco style California motoring for any of you Lolitas.