Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2004, 17:02   #1

Man

i hate the suspension my Gypsy currently has. Bumpy and not good at all. Anybody knows a garage who can fix it.
Old 8th April 2004, 17:07   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ya vyek. the gypsy suspension is very bumpy. I dont think anythin can be done to make it smooth. We just sold a 1995 Gypsy today. Had a good time with it. The only problem in the Gypsy is its bumpy ride and its short turning radius.
Old 8th April 2004, 17:11   #3

I can tell you.. i love the car but not the suspension. Plan to keep it for another year or 2 and hopefully we have a petrol engined and cheap SUV come in.
Who was the guy who serviced your Gypsy? Is he good.
Old 8th April 2004, 17:17   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually we just had the Gypsy for around 15 days. It was a hard-top when we bought it. Converted it into a soft-top. Gave it a touch-up job and sold it. The engine and a/c was in good condition. So no servicing required.
Old 8th April 2004, 17:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

How much did you sell it for v12?

Cheers
Old 8th April 2004, 17:33   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

76k. i think it was a 94-95 model.
Old 8th April 2004, 17:33   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vyvek,

You are driving an amazing off-roader, and every capable "Indian" off-roader has an extremely basic suspension to support extreme off-roading escapades. The ride in my Mahindra Classic also takes a lot of getting used to, but it is more tolerable than that of the Gypsy. Which Gypsy do you have, the 1.0 or 1.3? Mpfi?

Here are some options off the back of my mind to improve the ride quality of your Gypsy :

1. Gas-charged dampers (shock absorbers) - Relative cheap, and will help to improve the ride moderately. Much superior to your stock dampers. Expect a big improvement to your handling too.

2. Better tyres - Check if your current tyres are the cross-country type = Horrible ride quality but good off the road. You can try going in for tyres with a higher profile which will offer you more rubber cushioning, provided they dont interfere with any body parts while driving/turning. Another option is to upgrade to Michelin XLT's (which I have in my Jeep). The compound is far superior to what any Indian rubber can offer you and my ride quality has improved tremendously after the Michelins. They also provide far superior handling and off-roading muscle.

3. Remore a leaf or two - If you remove a leaf from your leaf-spring suspension, front and back, the ride quality will surely improve. Buttttttttttttttttt it will lower your ground clearance and thus, limit your off-roading capability.

4. Better seats - If you are in Bombay, come by and check the seats in my Classic out. Awesome cushioning and very comfortable. They look just like Recaro's from afar. Sam will vouch for this.

Hope that helps,

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2004, 18:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

GTOs right pal . You gotta check his jeep out. Its one of the finest examples there are around

Cheers
Old 12th April 2004, 16:16   #9

GTO

Yup am from Bombay. Will drop in sometime for the Jeep. Do let me know where.
The gas-charged dampers idea sounds good. Also i have Bridgestone Duelers. I dont have the ratings but i will get back on them.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:54   #10
BHPian

guys, you may have heard about the Premier Rio, a new entrant compact suv. Its got a McPherson strut & coil spring in front and 5 rods system at the rear. Its weight specification is Gross: 1530Kgs/Kerb: 1145Kgs thetyre specification (205 / 70 R15).And specifications for Gypsy is Gross: 1585Kgs/Kerb: 985 Kgs the tyre specification (205 / 70 R15). I think that Rio's suspension is the closest replacement for the Gypsy. The initial reviews of the Rio cite a decent ride quality and handling. I think its suspension should be a good fit replacement for the Gypsy.
P.s. the Kerb weight of Rio may seem much higher than d Gypsy but remember that Rio is a hard top 5 door Suv with a 1.5L diesel unit and that accounts for the extra weight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks