Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2006, 15:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, our desi SUVs like the Endeavour & the Safari VX come with 5 alloys....dunno why the sedans cannot be fitted similarly?
Old 10th October 2006, 16:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
ARAI doesn't seem to understand the world standards of automobile industry. This is not the first time a reputed automaker is stopped by ARAI for some dubious reasons. And the sad part is many of us Janta does'nt seem to understand the world standards too.
ARAI is a professionally run organization and I'm sure that their competency level would be as good or better than part time auto enthusiast like you and me. (I don't work for ARAI either). Unless one have some substantial evidence, should desist again making such remarks.
About the world standard, I think this term has good snob appeal but actual standards which stand trial to local customs and test are more relevant. In my opinion, ARAI is doing reasonably good job.

After thought – There is hardy any similarity between infrastructure available in first world country and developing economy like ours. I failed to understand how come this big auto companies don’t understand this.

Note from the Support Staff: Please avoid using text formatting tags.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2006 at 23:45.
Old 10th October 2006, 16:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
yeah...that is why they are having problems in India with ARAI.

When you buy aftermarket alloys, they always give you 5 wheels....
as speedzak said, u can opt for 4. i know lots of people who got 4 aftermarket alloys.
Old 10th October 2006, 16:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

It's actually a company policy issue. Companies like Honda & Toyota give out 5 alloys with their cars & all models of Honda right from the City to the Accord are equipped so. Whereas on the other hand Skoda only offers 4 alloys even on the RS/L&K.

I actually think there should be 5 alloys as at times its not always an option to have the tyre fixed & changed immediately.
Old 10th October 2006, 16:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel
ARAI is a professionally run organization and I'm sure that their competency level would be as good or better than part time auto enthusiast like you and me. (I don't work for ARAI either). Unless one have some substantial evidence, should desist again making such remarks.

About the world standard, I think this term has good snob appeal but actual standards which stand trial to local customs and test are more relevant. In my opinion, ARAI is doing reasonably good job.

After thought – There is hardy any similarity between infrastructure available in first world country and developing economy like ours. I failed to understand how come this big auto companies don’t understand this.
Actually no ARAI is way behind times in their testing procedures & norms. Their facilities are woefully outdated, their high-speed track can only sustain cars upto 150km/h (I think) where as today you find affordable mainstream cars doing 200 km/h+. The pollution norms being followed are a result of Supreme court action & are mainly a derivative of the Euro pollution norms.

Also more importantly the institute has no crash testing facilities at all & so there are no prescribed crash safety norms in India unlike other countries which have dedicated centres & independent organisations for the same. If crash testing norms on the lines of Europe NCAP tests are introduced here not only will Airbags become standard equipment but a lot of cars being sold today would be completely disqualified. For eg. Omni, 800 etc. would never pass these tests. FYI even the Indian Alto is sold abroad with Airbags & ABS as standard equipment.

ARAI has its uses but they are unfortunately way behind times and also have woeful equipment. They are known more to create hassles for manufacturers then serve any real purpose!
Old 10th October 2006, 16:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[COLOR=black]ARAI is a professionally run organization and I'm sure that their competency level would be as good or better than part time auto enthusiast like you and me. (I don't work for ARAI either). Unless one have some substantial evidence, should desist again making such remarks.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]About the world standard, I think this term has good snob appeal but actual standards which stand trial to local customs and test are more relevant. In my opinion, ARAI is doing reasonably good job.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]After thought – There is hardy any similarity between infrastructure available in first world country and developing economy like ours. I failed to understand how come this big auto companies don’t understand this.[/COLOR]
ARAI is professionally run but it still has all the typical trademarks of being an India company. At times they can be really unprofessional and idiotic.

Now, I am not making these remarks just like that. My dad has had personal dealings with ARAI and he agrees.... I saw it myself when I had gone with my dad to the ARAI facility near Pune abt 1-1 and a half years back.

Of course, they are not as bad as the Indian government, but they arent as professional as they could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
ARAI has its uses but they are unfortunately way behind times and also have woeful equipment. They are known more to create hassles for manufacturers then serve any real purpose! __________________
Well said !! They are doing a decent job but they could be doing so much better

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 10th October 2006 at 16:46.
Old 10th October 2006, 17:17   #22
BHPian

I am in the market for a new Petra, and the dealer told me that the alloy wheel won't even fit into the space in the boot and that the wider wheel will rattle in the boot, since the bolt (the last bolt available on planet earth) will be too short to cover the width of the alloy. So I asked what I was supposed to do when I had a puncture on my way to office and did not have time to get the puncture done till I reached office (over 30km). Drive on a short leg with a rattling alloy in the boot for want of a bolt. But the dealer had no further comment on this.
Old 10th October 2006, 17:27   #23
BANNED

Quote:
I dont throw these things from the sky man!! But if you get yourself a bit familiar with ARAI, your opinion will soon change too.
Quote:
The world standards are not just snob value. Our system often dont change from the medieval times. It simply does'nt keep up with the times.
Quote:
This is understandable.
Our infrastrucutre is not upto the mark and for this we need car suited for these conditions. But till when? Infinity??
Until more and more world standard cars and manufacturers bring in cars which are built with great amount of workmanship and quality, we cant expect any big growth in our automobile sector. And for this, the infrastrucutre has to be brought up to world standards!! And if better cars and car makers come in, the government will be forced to do so. And that's what is happening slowly now. And soon you'll see dramatic changes in the way ARAI operates now.
And know what? the full size spare rule will change soon too?
Old 10th October 2006, 18:19   #24
BHPian

Why not have a poll on this topic?

Option 1 - 4 Alloys only - No Spare tyre
Option 2 - 5 Alloys only - (4 + 1)
Option 3 - 4 Alloys + Rim of Same size
Option 4 - 4 Alloys + Rim of smaller size
Old 10th October 2006, 18:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
I am in the market for a new Petra, and the dealer told me that the alloy wheel won't even fit into the space in the boot and that the wider wheel will rattle in the boot, since the bolt (the last bolt available on planet earth) will be too short to cover the width of the alloy. So I asked what I was supposed to do when I had a puncture on my way to office and did not have time to get the puncture done till I reached office (over 30km). Drive on a short leg with a rattling alloy in the boot for want of a bolt. But the dealer had no further comment on this.
Prabuddha,
I have same problem, the existing bolt is too short for my alloys(not from Fiat). What alloy dealer told was that I can easily get a longer bolt from market. I never tried to fix it and so far no major issues with the fifth tyre/wheel in the boot. (Of course it protests at times).
Old 10th October 2006, 18:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Prabuddha,
I have same problem, the existing bolt is too short for my alloys(not from Fiat). What alloy dealer told was that I can easily get a longer bolt from market. I never tried to fix it and so far no major issues with the fifth tyre/wheel in the boot. (Of course it protests at times).
Siva, you have aftermarket alloys, I believe. But in my case, the dealer has simply refused to give the fifth alloy, since FIAT does not provide an extra. I am prepared to pay for it, but still!
Old 10th October 2006, 19:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Our infrastrucutre is not upto the mark and for this we need car suited for these conditions. But till when? Infinity?? ?
There are guys who own Bently's in Bangalore. What happens to them? They just remain show pieces in their garages at home! Only because they dont have good roads to drive them on.

Its easy to upgrade to world standards on cars - may be - or so it looks atleast while talking. But if we do not have the infrastructure to complement the same, whats the point. there will be no sudden change in the infrastructure scenario just because the economy grows. Take the example of Bangalore itself. Economy is far better than it was a couple of years back and the infrstructure far worse! Its just because it depends on too many factors. so growth cannot be forced. no point in bringing down the best technology from the first world if we cant use in our environment. There has to be growth in terms of everything. But it has to be practical at the end of the day. No growth can take place overnight.

- B

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks