Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 15:56   #1
BHPian

Annoying rear seatbelt..should I cut ?

Hello Friends,

Got new Honda Jazz VMT yesterday. On rear bench, there is quite lot of loose seatbelt stuff which makes it uncomfortable for middle passenger. I was wondering that if I should cut middle seat belts (It is a pair at the centre of back seat) for more comfort. Anyways, I am yet to see a single car with rear passengers wearing seat belts

Has anyone actually did this ?
Old 8th September 2016, 16:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Annoying rear seatbelt..should I cut ?

i would suggest fold and put it under the seat.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:19   #3
BHPian

Thanks but there are two big seat belt holders (the one which we press to unlock seat belt) at the center of seat. I am surprised why there are no comments in entire team bhp forum about this little irritating thing
Old 8th September 2016, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Thanks but there are two big seat belt holders (the one which we press to unlock seat belt) at the center of seat. I am surprised why there are no comments in entire team bhp forum about this little irritating thing
That's cos most of us on team-bhp are the lot that wear seat belts - be it on the front or the rear seat.

In fact I do not drive my car until everyone is buckled up - including folks on the rear seat.
reignofchaos is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it is there in all the cars but honestly, I did not think of it as such an issue that there is a need to cut the belts. Pushing them under would be good enough for most of the occasions. However, if there is a 5th passenger, then it would be better to belt up even if it is just a lap belt. Easier said than done though

Not a good advice, but another option could be pushing them under the seat covers, if you are planning to get some?

Last edited by arvind71181 : 8th September 2016 at 16:27.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While it is ALWAYS recommended that all the passengers should put on their seat belts, if you still want to remove the center belt lock, push it back into the boot area through the fold between the seat bench and its back. Once it is in the boot space, tie it properly and wrap it with some soft cloth so that it doesn't rattle. This way you can always restore the seat belt the day you feel and understand the importance of it.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Not a good advice, but another option could be pushing them under the seat covers, if you are planning to get some?
It can not be pushed as the pair emerges from the seat and the hole can not accommodate both the holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
push it back into the boot area through the fold between the seat bench and its back.
Thanks...I will try this. And yes, I do understand the use of seat belt but in city where speed is never above 60KMPH, I dont think it serves any purpose ..especially at back seat.

Last edited by SDP : 9th September 2016 at 08:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 8th September 2016, 16:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Do you want to be killed by someone you know?

bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks...I will try this. And yes, I do understand the use of seat belt but in city where speed is never above 60KMPH, I dont think it serves any purpose ..especially at back seat.
While you can be sure about your speed, can you say the same statement about all the cars running along with you on the road? Do you maintain the same <60 kmph during late night or early morning or any other time when the roads are empty? And if your stress is on the back seat, can you be sure that no one will crash into your car from behind or any of the sides (left/right)?

PS: I do not intend to offend you in any way but I believe we all need to be more careful. Today roads are improving and so are our vehicles. They are capable of bringing great damage in the wrong hands or with the slightest error of judgement.

EDIT: Have you observed something while driving? Under panic braking or swerving (or worst case, a frontal collision), everyone except the driver (and maybe the front passenger) is caught off guard. This itself necessitates the use of seat belts by the rear passengers.

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th September 2016 at 17:19. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'll quote an experiment one of our Distinguished-BHPians loves to emphasize in such scenarios (Conduct at your own risk, of course).

Walk as fast as you can, right into a wall. Does it hurt?

Now imagine, if walking speeds (~10-15 kmph) can hurt that much, what could banging your head/body into a hard seat-back or dashboard/windscreen do at FOUR times that speed!

I hope you reconsider your seatbelt-speed equation. It's fairly simple: anything more than ZERO kmph needs seatbelts.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Got new Honda Jazz VMT yesterday. On rear bench, there is quite lot of loose seatbelt stuff which makes it uncomfortable for middle passenger. I was wondering that if I should cut middle seat belts (It is a pair at the centre of back seat) for more comfort. Anyways, I am yet to see a single car with rear passengers wearing seat belts

Quote:

Not this again

I apologise for being blunt but do the laws of physics change for the back seat? I cannot emphasise enough about the misconception of seatbelt in india especially in the back seat. Whoever or whatever thats unbelted will act like a high velocity projectile. The rate of declaration is Enormous. A body will go from a high speed of say 80kmph to 0kmph in less than 0.3 of a second. So id say NO, DON'T remove the seatbelts. Rather start encouraging people in the back seat to wear them. Take some time and go through the Recent posts in the thread mentioned below. You'll completely understand. Like they say, A picture is worth a 1000 words!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...nts-india.html

Speed does not matter. again, the laws of physics remain unaltered. be it 25, 20 or 140. All occupants must wear seatbelt. Please make people understand why. Logical reasoning will work better than a statement.

Annoying rear seatbelt..should I cut ?-screen-shot-20160902-15.50.09.png

Last edited by One:1 : 8th September 2016 at 18:39.
One:1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 19:06   #12
BHPian

It is all pretty much the same in all of the cars and only the middle passengers lap belt will be left exposed. It can be tucked in the gap between the seat back and bench. You can clip the belt to the buckle and push it out as a single unit so that you can easily pull it out when needed instead of fiddling for the belt and buckle separately. Tip: Make the adjustment with the belt such that it is at its shortest length before tucking in.

Jazz infact has a hole in the bench to accommodate the buckle (it doesn't protrude out) which is better than cars where even the buckle for the passengers at the ends is hanging out.

And as everyone pointed out above, "I dont need seat-belts inside city" is not a proper line of thought. Yes, you are not at as much risk as in highways but the risk factor is always there. Better be safe than sorry.

Last edited by praveen_v : 8th September 2016 at 19:08.
Old 8th September 2016, 21:33   #13
BHPian

Seriously? Don't want lecture you or give you any evangelist sermons, however, "seat belt save lives". That seatbelt is there for a purpose. People may argue that it's not as good as the modern 3 point belt for the middle passenger (mandatory in US and Europe now), but it is still better than not having any protection.

Rear belts may not seem as important as front one, but that's a big, BIG misconception. Remember Mr. Gopinath Munde lost his life because he was not wear a seat belt while he was sitting in the rear.

Please, insist that the rear passengers to belt themselves and start the car only after they do so. A lot of people make fun of my insistence, but then my car, my rules.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 08:05   #14
Team-BHP Support

Well, this is a first!

At the risk of repetition, but for the greater good of driving the point home, please do not do anything to the seatbelts: rear or front, except use them whole-heartedly.

Part of the blame is with manufacturers for continuing with lap belts, rather than a 3-point belt for the rear middle passenger.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th September 2016 at 08:11.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 08:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,
I was wondering that if I should cut middle seat belts (It is a pair at the centre of back seat) for more comfort. Anyways, I am yet to see a single car with rear passengers wearing seat belts

Yep. I do! My Car doesn't start if passengers are not buckled up!. Please DON'T Cut/remove the safety features!

Quote:
I am surprised why there are no comments in entire team bhp forum about this little irritating thing
Err.. a little irritation is anyday better than getting hurt badly. Safety is first, then comfort, don't you agree ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
That's cos most of us on team-bhp are the lot that wear seat belts - be it on the front or the rear seat.
Well said, mate! I pray this tribe increases

Quote:
Oh Boy! Not this again! We discussed this at length few months back. See related posts here. Like many have mentioned, it doesn't matter whether it is highway riding or city riding, seats belts are absolutely required. Period.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3979312

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do you want to be killed by someone you know?
A little on the extreme side, but yes, it highlights the importance of ALL passengers wearing seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I hope you reconsider your seatbelt-speed equation. It's fairly simple: anything more than ZERO kmph needs seatbelts.
Small correction - even if it is ZERO kmph, if you are sitting inside a car, wear seat belt. A post by bhp-ian Pancham highlights this.

A car stopped at a signal was rear-ended by a truck. Wearing seat-belts helped the passengers from injury. See related link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3996842

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
Rather start encouraging people in the back seat to wear them. Take some time and go through the Recent posts in the thread mentioned below.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Well, this is a first!
At the risk of repetition, but for the greater good of driving the point home, please do not do anything to the seatbelts: rear or front, except use them whole-heartedly.

Part of the blame is with manufacturers for continuing with lap belts, rather than a 3-point belt for the rear middle passenger.
+1 to this. Also the stupidity of the seat cover vendors and even the sales rep. of auto dealers who suggest to "hide" the rear seatbelts under the seat so that the seat looks more elegant and comfortable!

Last edited by haria : 9th September 2016 at 09:03.
haria is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks