Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2016, 00:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

MobilEye 560: Aftermarket Pedestrian Detection & Collision Warning System

Just came across this aftermarket product for pedestrian detection & collision warning system - MobilEye 560. Now obviously, this will not hit the brakes automatically like in those Volvo/Mercedes truck safety videos - but gives you an audio/visual warning on a screen or on your smartphone (mounted on dashboard). Very useful for somebody who clocks significant mileage on our highways.

MobilEye 560: Aftermarket Pedestrian Detection & Collision Warning System-mobileye.jpg

FEATURES:

- Daylight Pedestrian Collision Warning
- Forward Collision Warning, both in Highway and Urban areas.
- Bicycle and Motorcycle Detection
- Lane Departure Warning
- Traffic & Speed Limit Sign Recognition

I wonder if it can detect animals on the road

Installation video:

There are lots of technicalities involved - I don't think its a DIY job. Looks like installation can be done only by authorized dealers. That's probably why Amazon.com does not have a listing for MobilEye 560

MobilEye 560 Website:
http://www.mobileye.com/products/mob.../mobileye-560/

Cost: $850

Where To Buy Online:
http://www.abt.com/product/61998/Mob...play-C560.html

Stunningly, they already have an authorized dealer in India :
http://charterednextgen.com/

Chartered NextGenSolutions Pvt Ltd
204 People’s Plaza,
Vijay Cross Road,
Memnagar,
Ahmedabad-380009
Call: +91 079 40325088
Mail : info@charterednextgen.com

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd October 2016 at 00:35.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: MobilEye 560: Aftermarket Pedestrian Detection & Collision Warning System

Innovative solution for the aftermarket. Just yesterday I was thinking of having these on at least the long distance buses and trucks where consistent attention is required for prolonged hours. For passenger cars, I find most of the features a fancy supplement as long as it does not offer intervention. The advertisement itself is a dramatic representation where they always trigger the climax with the driver taking eyes off the road, which is first of all wrong.

There are times when though we have our eyes on the road, we could have missed something, like a crossing vehicle, a pedestrian or a stationary vehicle which we might realise late. That is when such devices can become useful, by drawing our attention to objects which we might have missed though our eyes are on the road. In such an event where a driver really takes their eyes off the road, this will just give an audible warning. First the driver has to get back to seeing the road, and then look at what exactly the problem is, and then react with the brakes or steering. In such a situations, an intervening mechanism would have already done half of its job by initiating partial braking or providing a small steering correction.

While I agree this just an alternate solution, there is a sea of difference between this and the OE setups. While Volvo, Mercedes, Audi and others use a bucketload of sensors to give the same functionality, MobilEye claims to do this by using a single camera. Would love to see if someone reviews it in real life. I would rather buy a simple forward collision brake for 1000$ if someone designs an aftermarket system than have a range of features that wouldnt intervene in driving and give false warnings. Well, thats just my humble opinion.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

While I agree this just an alternate solution, there is a sea of difference between this and the OE setups. While Volvo, Mercedes, Audi and others use a bucketload of sensors to give the same functionality, MobilEye claims to do this by using a single camera.
Volvo, BMW, Tesla etc all use MobilEye technology. This is not an unknown Chinese company, but a proper innovator company. It's a NYSE listed Israeli startup with $240 million in revenues and $70 million in profits.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Volvo, BMW, Tesla etc all use MobilEye technology. This is not an unknown Chinese company, but a proper innovator company. It's a NYSE listed Israeli startup with $240 million in revenues and $70 million in profits.
I am not counting the credibility of the company. I am very much aware of who is doing what, since I am doing the same too. I am talking about the 'solution' as I have clearly stated in my post. There is a difference in MobilEye offering a technology to a manufacturer and offering the same to the aftermarket.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
While Volvo, Mercedes, Audi and others use a bucketload of sensors to give the same functionality, MobilEye claims to do this by using a single camera. Would love to see if someone reviews it in real life. I would rather buy a simple forward collision brake for 1000$ if someone designs an aftermarket system than have a range of features that wouldnt intervene in driving and give false warnings. Well, thats just my humble opinion.
I'd second that! Obviously the cheap aftermarket cannot be a substitute to the HD sensors in production cars. For instance will differ when someone says their aftermarket parking sensor is better. How OEM's precisely position the radar sensor after lot of virtual-physical tests is no match to the ASS positioning. However with upcoming connected car technologies, i don't think its a far cry from detecting machines on road (forget stray animals).
anoop.nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 10:37   #6
BHPian

Re: MobilEye 560: Aftermarket Pedestrian Detection & Collision Warning System

Hi. I am rekindling a 2 years old thread.
Has anyone tried this aftermarket system? Do you recommend this for us?

Most Viewed