Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 22:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Lumbar support accessory for car seats: Any recommendation?

The best aftermarket lumbar support is free. It is called good posture. If you practice good posture, you will get self sufficient lumbar support.
shankarbn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 01:03   #17
BHPian

I just stole one of those slim pillows that you find in airplanes as I find most of these aftermarket supports too thick to be used in a driving seat. That pillow does help a bit.
Old 14th October 2016, 11:36   #18

I personally find this accessory super useful. Browsed through the online portals recently and found the best assortment on Snapdeal:

https://www.snapdeal.com/product/xam...s/678113767688
https://www.snapdeal.com/product/xam...s/667765510609
https://www.snapdeal.com/product/car...t/659650301828

I ended up ordering this one:
https://www.snapdeal.com/product/xam...s/678113767688

Pros:
The cushion is firm and provides decent support on long drives
Its also acts as a multipurpose accessory
Competitive Price

Cons:
Since this is an aftermarket accessory, automatic adjustment like the in-built feature is not possible
Pratik Chavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 12:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
The best aftermarket lumbar support is free. It is called good posture. If you practice good posture, you will get self sufficient lumbar support.
But then it depends on the car as well. My Punto has ergonomic issues with the seat position, the seats aren't bad per se.
Old 14th October 2016, 14:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Have any of you used anything like this? Are they any good? If so, do you have any recommendations?
My friend just got new cushions that look exactly like the ones in your picture, for his S-Cross.

Ironically I tried them out the day you posted this thread, but couldn't reply earlier.

Whilst most cushions are spongy, and can be too thick around the lumbar region, these collapsed in slowly and really hugged my back.

They are available at dealerships as Maruti Genuine Accessories - if you want to give them a try...
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Lumbar support, the godsend boon for people with back ache while driving !!
My earlier car, Optra magnum, had a good range of adjustable lumbar support which gave me good comfort and pain free long drives. Once I did a continuous drive of 780km in the same car with just one nicotine break and I was all fine. When I was in the market for my next car, I literally could not find any car which had the range of adjustments matching that of Optra magnum. So my immediate thought after buying the Skoda Rapid, earlier this year, was to look for after market lumbar support cushions. I tried a variety of lumbar support cushions from ebay, apollo pharmacy, amazon, OEM ones and even from vendors at traffic signals. But none of them could give me the comfort or good posture. Believe me, these were all good for office chairs, especially the one from apollo pharmacy, (Most of the Bangalore apollo pharmacies have these, not sure about other cities) but not for the car. It either made me feel that I was sitting in an awkward position or did give only lower back support. After so many such trials, I am now using an oversized neck pillow, which I just place behind my lower back. Though its not great, it helps to some extent.

Last edited by shinuak : 14th October 2016 at 16:24. Reason: Annotation
Old 14th October 2016, 19:50   #22
BHPian

My Creta SX+ AT CRDI unfortunately does not have the best lumbar support. Guess my age is also catching up with me.
I got this lumbar support while i was getting the Creta ICED at Sachin's AutoShop Kormangala.

X-Static: Synthetic PVA/PU Range
Cost Rs 600/-
Pros:
It works.

Last week i was running around for an office event and by the time all was over my lower back was paining.
Sat in the driver seat and could feel the pain.
Placed the X-Static behind me and push back, a very relaxing feeling.

Cons:
Pushes you way ahead
The Elastic band is not enough to go around the Creta seat.

Lumbar support accessory for car seats: Any recommendation?-teambhp.jpg

Lumbar support accessory for car seats: Any recommendation?-teambhp1.jpg
yajaman99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 22:02   #23
BHPian

I just got one - Amron for 1400 INR - I have thoracic pain - upper back pain. This really helped. I got it from a medical shop but it is available online as well. Well made product.

https://www.snapdeal.com/product/amr...161014163110:s
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 23:51   #24
BHPian

I am using Amron backrest executive in my car as well as for my office Chair for 3 years now, very happy with it. http://www.amron.in/executive.htm
vvvinod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 16:51   #25
BHPian

Well, that makes three people endorsing the Amron backrest. I also find it heartening that most of you feel these things actually seem to give some relief while driving. I'll go ahead and order this one too. Will update this thread once I start using it.

Thanks, people, you are reliable as ever.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 09:55   #26
BHPian

Tempur also has some interesting options. Never tried one though.

http://in.tempur.com/accessories
Old 16th October 2016, 23:19   #27

I hope you find some relief using the aftermarket products. But, you can also try playing with the seat recline position. In my xuv, I have my seat adjusted to almost a straight position, just 1 or 2 clicks of recline. This helps me keep my back straight and also imho helps the driver to be more alert during the drive. Some might call it a more of truck /bus driving position, but I have had a fair share of lower back problems after an accident in the past and this helps me a lot. I do very frequent Delhi -Udhampur (~650 km) runs comfortably. Once you get used to more straight seating style, I am sure you would like it and wont be able to go back to the reclined seat posture. Do try it on a drive and see if that helps.
lightning535 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 09:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning535 View Post
Do try it on a drive and see if that helps.
Thanks for the tip, lightning535. A short run to Mysore is coming up and I will try your suggestion. However, I haven't kept the seat too reclined anyway, maybe a notch or two more than what you have suggested.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 15:26   #29
BHPian

The best option in my view (works well for me) is to buy a 12/12 inch memory foam cushion and use it to support the lower back while driving. Memory foam is the softest of all the options, thus doesn't hurt or give an intrusive feeling behind the back, it takes the shape of the spine and supports it well
Old 18th October 2016, 06:09   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

There are these nylon netting type back supporters which are available in most airports.
Can be used either in the car or in one's office or indeed in an airline seat.
They do help because if you position them nicely, they push your lower back out when you're sitting down and this gives a lot of relief if you're sitting for a long time.

But there really is no substitute for frequent stops and stretching and even lying down on a grassy verge while driving long distance.

Humans are not meant to sit for long periods. One needs to stand tall or lie down - those are the most restful positions for the back.

I play golf and at the end of the round, the back does require rest. There are these sloping grassy banks on the tee boxes typically and I find lying against those slopes, does wonders for my back...basically because the slope helps in stretching the whole back and giving one some relief if one just lies there for a few minutes.

One can get these foam cylinders which are used to roll up and down and help relax one's muscles, when one has been doing exercise or yoga or running etc.
If one lies on one's bed and places this cylinder just under one's lower back and lies on it, one gets tremendous relief. But these cylinders are a bit "thick" so placing them on the car seat for lumbar support is not really an option.

Luckily my present car comes with lumbar support, activated by a lever located on the side of the seat. This helps a lot in one's day to day driving since in the cities one is usually stuck in traffic and on highways one is sitting for long periods at a time.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th October 2016 at 06:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks