Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 01:52   #1
BHPian

need help from all the tyre gurus.. guys, my dad surprised me by replacing the stock tyres on my balenbo lxi to yokohama 185/70/r13. first of all, i have never heard of yokohama? is the tyre quality good or should i replace them with michelin certis?? the dealer told to keep the tyre pressure 26psi which i think is too less and will damage the tyre, so according to u guys what should the proper air presure be???
Old 31st October 2006, 10:00   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoguy4u
need help from all the tyre gurus.. guys, my dad surprised me by replacing the stock tyres on my balenbo lxi to yokohama 185/70/r13. first of all, i have never heard of yokohama? is the tyre quality good or should i replace them with michelin certis?? the dealer told to keep the tyre pressure 26psi which i think is too less and will damage the tyre, so according to u guys what should the proper air presure be???
Hey,

Yokohoma's are excellent tyres so dont worry. The tyre pressure is also OK.

Viper
Old 31st October 2006, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest using around 28-29psi to begin with. U can then increase or reduce the pressure depending on your prefference.

For a car weighing 975kgs and running on 70% profile, 26 psi could cause problems in the long run.

Shan2nu
Old 31st October 2006, 21:21   #4
BHPian

thanks a lot guys for such a quick reply
Old 31st October 2006, 22:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

29-30 psi for 185/70-13 tyres....

29psi is the recommended pressure for stock tyres 165/80-13..
Old 31st October 2006, 22:51   #6
BHPian

I m wondering what a difference tyre pressure can make on the performance of car.......the rotating power of engine must be able to pass on to tyres with sufficient traction so that car just starts.........lower pressure exerts the drag on tyres hence poor performance even if everything is normal.....I observed that increasing pressure gives better performance.......once I refilled all tyres at 32 & I suddenly found boost in performance.....it was very much noticeable.........So I decided to test it....few days later I made it 29 & I cant beleive with the degradation of performance compared to earlier......I have 60Kg LPG tank fitted hence on normal running condition I have load of at least 80 to 100 kg at the rear end without any passanger......so in my view those with LPG kit fitted with big size tank must increase pressure to at least 29 or 30 for good performance.......also this aspect need to be checked with regular observation.....

Enjoy.........
Old 31st October 2006, 23:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I've never tried overinflating my tyres.....I like to keep my 205/15/50s at 29psi......On my lancer.... otherwise i find the ride too bumpy......@finetuning......have you tried filling your tyres with anything else.....other than air.....do let us know....thanks

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 31st October 2006 at 23:16.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2006, 00:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I've never tried overinflating my tyres.....I like to keep my 205/15/50s at 29psi......On my lancer.... otherwise i find the ride too bumpy......@finetuning......have you tried filling your tyres with anything else.....other than air.....do let us know....thanks
Hi sam,

I m wondering how people look at me with "anything else" tag......I think slightly overinflating is good for ride as well as for mileage...say 30 or 31.....

Enjoy........
Old 1st November 2006, 12:40   #9
BHPian

Tyre Pressure

As far as my knowledge goes have always been informed that running Tyres on Low pressure would make it prone to Punctures and on a High Pressure it'd wear out easily... So my humble opinion is to find out from the manufacturers website or so the correct tyre pressure recommended for your tyres. Most of the manufacturers have FAQs on their site or you could send them your vehicle's characteristics (weight, normal load etc) for them to make a suggestion.
Old 1st November 2006, 13:23   #10
BHPian

Hey Sam,

I tried out the Nitrogen on my Tucson's 235/60/16 tyres and it turned out to be a bad thing. The ride became harsh. I kept with it for almost 2-3 weeks, with tyre pressers from 30(recommended) to 32, and never was happy with it, the natural air is the best i feel!
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Incorrect Tyre Pressure info on www.indiacar.com

Hi Friends,

There are a couple of grave errors in advice about tyre pressure on www.indiacar.com which could be fatal if followed. I had sent them a mail to which they had replied that their technical experts would get back to me. That was in September 2006. And they still have not. I am reproducing my email to them below.
================================================== =====

Hello,

Issue 1

On your site there is a section that gives tips for long distance traveling (http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...g_distance.htm). This section states that
“ Reduce tyre pressure by about 2-3 psi on high-speed roads as the Mumbai-Pune Expressway or the Delhi-Noida Expressway. High vehicle speeds on these rpads for long distances results in heating and automatic inflation of the tyres. If the tyres are already over-inflated, the hazard of a tyre burst is omnipresent.”

Is this information correct?

On the site of Bridgestone India, there is a Tyre Care section - http://www.bridgestone.co.in/tyre/tyrecare/index.asp. Under this there is one section which is titled “Be a Safe Driver. Tips for high speed driving”. They clearly state that we should never lower the tyre pressure but actually increase the pressure by 5 psi before high speed driving.

So is the information on your site not correct? A lot of people (including your humble self) read your site regularly and in this case following a wrong advice could cost us our lives. Please clarify this point and correct the advice if you are wrong.

Issue 2

Under your Fuel Savings Tips (http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...uel_saving.htm) you have mentioned
“ Adjust Tyre pressure when the Tyre is hot, i.e when the vehicle has run for 15 to 20 km. Hot air expands if Tyre pressure is regulated, when cold you will mostly have excess air in the tyres.”

Is not the tyre pressure indicated in the owner’s manual the "cold" pressure? If we follow your advice will we not be under inflating the tyres which is quite dangerous? And as you yourself have said again under the fuel saving tips “Over or under inflated tyres would mean better mileage or better handling respectively but will drastically reduce the Tyre life”. How can you give contradicting advices?
A little research shows that
  • Maintaining correct tyre pressures is of the highest importance for safe driving. Under-inflation causes undue heat generation of the tyres components.
  • Using a vehicle with tyres inflated below the recommended pressure can cause damage to the tyres. This damage is irreversible and may even lead to the tyre suffering a rapid deflation.
  • The negative effects of under-inflation are not always immediate and can even show up after running once again at the correct pressure.
  • Tyre pressures should be checked regularly, not forgetting the spare. These checks should be done 'cold' as a tyres pressure increases through the heat generated in running.
Please clarify this point also and correct if required.

Yours sincerely,
Biju Parappilly
Old 3rd November 2006, 00:23   #12
bhp
BHPian

even i have 185/70/r13 potenza gIII running on my baleno....the manual says 29 psi but i keep 32 psi bcoz i have bigger tyres and the ride is good as well....can anyone suggest if 32 psi for 185 mm is the right pressure for the tyre in long run and is it affecting the fe in any way
Old 4th November 2006, 02:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I used to keep 31 PSI in my Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 185/65 R14 tyres in the Baleno and found the centre ribs wearing faster than the sides (Sign on Overinflation). I have now shifted to 28 PSI and feel much better with no discernible loss in FE.
For the 185/65R14 tyres,Maruti recommended pressure is 25 PSI
Old 6th November 2006, 16:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
29-30 psi for 185/70-13 tyres....

29psi is the recommended pressure for stock tyres 165/80-13..

what pressure would you suggest for baleno 175/80 R14 tyre
Old 6th November 2006, 19:00   #15
BHPian

PJbiju is correct. I am amazed Indiacar.com could pass on street-mechanic folklore as expert advice. Never lower tyre pressure on the highway, in fact one must increase this to 2 psi over noremal before a high-speed run. Tyre pressures are always measured "cold", when the tyres are cold, i.e, before running them or max after running not more than one km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks