Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 00:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I've finally fitted the K&N on my car. It's a universal (conical) filter with a custom intake pipe, that I got from Viper.
While I think there is a slight improvement in performance (not sure if its the placebo effect or not!), I am a bit worried/curious about one thing...
There is this "hissing" noise coming from the filter - especially while idling or at low revs. It's replaced by a great growling sound at higher revs.
Is this normal for these filters? Or is it something I need to be worried about?

Razor
Old 6th November 2006, 01:26   #2
BHPian

not to worry

that is not a problem bro .. its called breathing noise .. basically while the car is running and when you are stepping on the accelerator air is being sucked in .. the sound is being created while air passes into the filter .. at higher revs the suction is more hence more noise ..

cars fitted with stock replacement filters which are placed in the OE filter box do not make this noise because the filter is enclosed .. since yours is a universal one and remains exposed the noise is noticeable ..

personally , i love to hear the breathing noise .. sounds nice
Old 6th November 2006, 08:40   #3
BANNED

Hi Razor,

Like ASHWIN said its absolutely normal. Thats the best part of the Conical Filter.
Also when you use it for a few more days you will see the gains a bit more.

Viper
Old 6th November 2006, 13:04   #4
BANNED

Boss! You're getting the best sound from the filter. Induction noise! I prefer it more than exhaust growl.

@Viper. How will the filter gain better performance after some time?
Old 6th November 2006, 13:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... Every day I see something that makes want to switch from my stock-replacement K&N to a universal or extreme. Decisions, decisions...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks