Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 15:49   #1

ECU Master: Standalone EMS in my Maruti Esteem

Hi All,

I would firstly thank ECU Master Technical team for their continued support.

I would like to share my experience with ECU master EMU used on Suzuki G series wasted spark ignition system.

ECU Master is a standalone Engine Management System organisation headquartered in Europe.

Vehicle Specification
Make : Maruti Suzuki
Model : Esteem MK 1 (globally know as Suzuki Swift)
Engine Code: G13 BB SOHC
Engine Capacity: 1300cc
Engine Management System: ECU Master EMU

Suzuki vehicles in India are a little different than Suzuki cars sold globally. Initially we had no Fuel Injection cars from Suzuki sold in India. We had to wait for long duration to have Suzuki Fuel Injection cars sold in India.

Suzuki SOHC G13BB initially was launched with distributor ignition system and later in 2005, Suzuki Swift was sold with G13BB COP wasted spark set up eliminating conventional distributors. Wasted Spark COP was first introduced in India back in 2000 with Suzuki Baleno G16B, Suzuki Swift in 2005 followed same ignition control system using CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor) and CMP (Camshaft Position Sensor).

Primary Trigger : 36-2-2-2
Secondary Trigger : 2 teeth 90 deg to each other.
Coils : Built in amplifier, Dual coils.

World wide support for Suzuki engines is less compared to all other OEMs. Considering all challenges, I decided to use EMU for the first time in India since it has a lot of features and was interested to try this on our Indian Suzuki engines.

Having automotive qualification and experience working for different OEMs for software development for different ECUs (also working experience with a few international Standalone EMS), it was not difficult to install ECU Master EMU on our Maruti Suzuki Esteem.

EMU wiring installation was completed, started with base map to crank the engine. To crank you need to have correct presets which are ECU trigger settings. Started with Primary trigger, secondary trigger followed by ignition and fuel settings. I made all wiring connections myself, connections were checked multiple times to ensure every wire is connected correctly.

After testing all outputs from EMU Test Output options I was very happy we had all outputs from EMU working as expected. Engine was cranked the first time after installing EMU and checked for trigger pattern on scope option available within ECU Master EMU software. It was not the actual trigger pattern and also Log files displayed some errors.

After spending so much time, I was stuck with trigger issues - engine doesn't crank, but all presets and settings are correct. Finally called the ECU Master technical team, spoke to them and they were surprised to hear issues with cranking and signals from sensors.

I was requested to send logs and the map. After 30 minutes, they call back and ask for all connections and I had to explain to the technical team about wiring connections.

Issue was a simple sensor GND from EMU connection was broken.

Finally vehicle is equipped with EMU. Final tuning to be completed.

Attached are a few pics of ECU Master EMU installed on the Maruti Suzuki Esteem.

Regards,
Putani.
ECU Master: Standalone EMS in my Maruti Esteem-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498567263.613644.jpg

ECU Master: Standalone EMS in my Maruti Esteem-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498567294.493390.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2017 at 11:05.
putani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 14:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: ECU Master: Standalone EMS in my Maruti Esteem

Off to a good start!

Here's another thread that might interest you : Megasquirting the Premier 118NE

Is your Esteem all stock otherwise, or have you made any other modifications under the hood?
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 20:18   #3

Hi Rehaan,

Small correction this esteem is built for my very close friend, car is completely modified.

Engine : 1.3L G13BB SOHC (Esteem MPFI engine)
Turbo: Garrett GT28XXRS Dual Ball bearing
Clutch : Stage 3 Custom Made
Pistons : Wiseco Forged Pistons
Rods : Forged H beam rods from RACEWERKS
Crankshaft : Forged knife edged crankshaft
Camshaft : Custom Regrind
Intake : Suzuki Racing Intake with modified plenum
Injectors : 750cc Denso
FMIC : Custom made
BOV: HKS SQ4
Externalwastegate: TIAL 40mm
FPR : Aeromotive
Fuel Pump : MSD

The above mentioned are the list of parts used for the turbo build.
Old 8th December 2022, 16:09   #4

Re: ECU Master: Standalone EMS in my Maruti Esteem

Hi, sorry for digging up an old thread but is there any chace that you would like to share your secondary trigger EMU settings? I'm also bulidng a G13BB SOHC turbo and got a problem with synchronization.

Regards,
Chris.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks