Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2006, 10:58   #1
BHPian

Xenons for Swift - Is a failure ?

Hi readers

I heard that xenons headlamps are a failure for the swift, even one of my friend had put it and have removed it as there is no correct focus. Philips also have disapproved their product for swift. is it true ?
Old 10th November 2006, 11:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

LBM has xenons on his Swift. Maybe he can tell you more.

Btw, aren't HID's/Xenons only supposed to go with a projector setup. Thats also how it happens in all the OE fitments. Else, the light really disperses leading to a lot of glare.
Old 10th November 2006, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

who say it is is a failure in a swift.....have a look....

What is a HID (High intensity discharge lamp) ???

its shape is like a normal bulb but it does not have a filament in it like normal bulb which produce light plus lots of heat along with it which makes them in efficent......it has a arc producing light which is nearly 2-4 times brighter than a halogen bulb also it is very effcient when compared with a halogen bulb...mainly rated at 35w as compared to a 65w halogen bulb....also the HID works at high voltage like 15k because of it it has a ballast along the bulbs....If some one says that just by changing the bulb and installing the HID bulb it will work then the installer is making a fool of you.....

the projector are a type of reflectors or we can say a type of bulb holder

more info here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight#Projector_optics
Old 10th November 2006, 12:56   #4
BANNED

[quote=low_bass_makker]who say it is is a failure in a swift.....have a look....

What is a HID (High intensity discharge lamp) ???

...If some one says that just by changing the bulb and installing the HID bulb it will work then the installer is making a fool of you.....

the projector are a type of reflectors or we can say a type of bulb holder

Hi LBM,

Are yopu giving an explanation on what HID is or are you saying you have Xenons and HID is different.

Viper
Old 10th November 2006, 13:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi LBM,

Are yopu giving an explanation on what HID is or are you saying you have Xenons and HID is different.

Viper
the xenon is a type of HID.....

here is for further read...

Types of HID lamps include:
  • Mercury vapor (CRI range 15-55)
  • Metal halide (CRI range 65-80, ceramic MH can go to 90s)
  • Low-pressure sodium (CRI 0 owing to their monochromatic light)
  • High-pressure sodium (CRI range 22-75).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

In the automobile sector the xenon gas is used for the bulbs thats why its is majorly named as xenon which make it popular...both the names are correct HID or Xenon.....
Old 10th November 2006, 13:03   #6
BHPian

well what i have seen in my friends car is that the light is not beaming. The swift headlamps are not projecting the light exactly on the road. However the fitment is perfect.
Old 10th November 2006, 13:09   #7
BHPian

LBM, just to clarify, what exactly is involved in upgrading your lights to HID Xenons? Electrical changes? Lenses/projectors? (and what exactly are projectors?) In the Swift does one HID lamp function as both the low and high beam? Or do you need two separate ones in each headlamp?

Also, where did you get your upgrade done, and roughly how much did it cost? (if you dont mind telling us)

b.t.w, awesome car... With the rims, the xenons and the ice it surely makes any old stock swift (like mine) appear boring.
Old 10th November 2006, 13:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

in a HID upgrade there is HID bulb and a ballast to run it....rest is the mounting stuff...

there is only one beam no hi or low as it is only a single bulb....but with some juggar a second halogen bulb can be fitted on the side of the xenon bulb so that a dipper function can be achived..... here is a pic of the same...

@tabrez02 the HID when fitted on the swift head lamps the over all effect of the head light increases nearly 2-3 times...also the head light of the car is made to scatter light in front of the car not to make a single point beam thats why the reflector is made of steps.....if it is a case of a torch used in our home has a beaming effect which is not used in cars headlights...the purpose of the head light reflector is to dispers light not make a beam....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th November 2006 at 13:49.
Old 10th November 2006, 14:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02
well what i have seen in my friends car is that the light is not beaming. The swift headlamps are not projecting the light exactly on the road. However the fitment is perfect.
Yes. Your observation is correct.

Infact, from what I understand, Xenon lamps are ALWAYS supposed to be fitted in a Projector setup. However, one can also fit it in the setup used for halogens, but this is incorrect and also a jugaad. This is what LBM has done on his Swift.

Case in point, some people have fitted Xenon's directly on their Accords. Whereas some have done it correctly using a projector setup. For the Accord the Projector setup costs upward of 15k.

Read abt it here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/10320-pics-modded-honda-accords-post-here.html?
Old 10th November 2006, 14:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
Yes. Your observation is correct.

Infact, from what I understand, Xenon lamps are ALWAYS supposed to be fitted in a Projector setup. However, one can also fit it in the setup used for halogens, but this is incorrect and also a jugaad. This is what LBM has done on his Swift.
no this is not right.....I again saying that a hid is a bulb which lits more than a halogen....

the projector is a type of reflector....like the other cars....there is no hard or fast rule of putting a xenon in a non projector car is a wrong thing...nor it is a jugaad....

the putting of a hallogen bulb along the hid bulb is a jugaad.....
Old 10th November 2006, 14:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

Cant you have a solenoid and control the power output?
Though the bulbs look bright, can you click a pick from inside the car on a dark road. Just want to see how good are HIDs for highway driving at night.
BTW can you check on the box what is the output in Lumens?
What is the startup(warmup time)
Since Xenon's emit near UV light too, have you seen any damage to your reflector?
Old 10th November 2006, 15:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Cant you have a solenoid and control the power output?
Though the bulbs look bright, can you click a pick from inside the car on a dark road. Just want to see how good are HIDs for highway driving at night.
BTW can you check on the box what is the output in Lumens?
What is the startup(warmup time)
Since Xenon's emit near UV light too, have you seen any damage to your reflector?
ya a lot of diffence in a stock halogen bulb than a hid kit one....

I dont have the box sorry .....but when I installed the kit I had a lumens meter so here is the observation..for the stock light the max the meter was giving 50 and for the HID it gave 180+ (dont remeber the unit....)

the warm up time is nearly 15-25 seconds....

no damage to the reflector is observed.....
Old 10th November 2006, 16:12   #13
BHPian

Well but still the question remains, Only the swift doesnt focus the xenon ? has philips disapproved its HID for swift ?
Old 10th November 2006, 16:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the answer LBM, only thing I am waiting for is to see how does the road seem from inside the car. So use your new DSLR
Old 10th November 2006, 17:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
no this is not right.....I again saying that a hid is a bulb which lits more than a halogen....
Agreed.

Quote:
the projector is a type of reflector....
Agreed.

Quote:
....there is no hard or fast rule of putting a xenon in a non projector car is a wrong thing...
This is the point where we differ. Have you ever (I have not) seen any OE Xenon that doesn't go into a projector. A projector is essential to focus the Xenon beam.

I understand that there is a pretty decent chance of me being wrong as this is not my area of expertise. Also, I am unafraid of taking this up with you as it is not ICE either

Anyways, please support your hypothesis with some source/proof. I will try to do the same once I get home.

Quote:
the putting of a hallogen bulb along the hid bulb is a jugaad.....
Agreed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks