Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2017, 18:38   #1

Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?

Mods: Please merge this thread if we have any similar threads, although I couldn't find any.

Hello BHPians. Let me introduce you to my dilemma. To start with I am a proud owner of 2011 W212 250 CDI (Pre Facelift). Recently, my family has been talking about updating the car, which I am not too keen about. Nevertheless, I do agree with the fact that the car is definitely showing its age now, with that Quad Headlight Setup, being a matter of past for the Mercs. I am not too keen on purchasing the New E class, as it looks like a limousine, where in I am mostly driving the car myself, and buying the C is like a compromise, that too after being in the E all this while. While considering other options, I also looked into the used car market for the Face-lifted W212, and to my surprise they are still holding a good resale value, in figures going upward of 25 BIG ONE'S.

Where in I was offered a mere 16.5 including the exchange bonus at the Merc Showroom.
Now, the important questions are:

Is it possible to convert the pre facelift W212 to the face lifted version?

What are the software updates required for the Auto dimming LED head lights?

Is it possible to have fog lights in the Face lifted version? As mine do have them.

Will this affect the Airbag sensors at the front?

My car has Head light washers, where in the Face lifted version does not have them, how to get around that problem?

Barring the Bumpers (Front & Back), Grill, Head lights, Tail lights and rear doors, what other things have to be replaced? Also, would this hamper any structural integrity of the car?

Below is an image comparison of my car with the new one.

The front has the Fog Lights and Headlamp Washers, which are missing in the facelifted version
Attached Thumbnails
Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?-mercedeseclassfacelift39.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2017 at 11:43. Reason: Poorly typed post
understated is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th November 2017, 20:06   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?

I believe even the front fenders are different on the W212 facelifted version - and if the fender is different, most probably even the doors would be shaped differently (not sure though). You may have to check with the MB Service Center if the mounting points for all the items you have listed for change are the same between both the models.

Instead, a better option would be to go for an AMG bumper up front and back and a good set of alloys.
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 22:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Mechanical parts changing will be the easier part. Electronics will be difficult. You will probaly need new control modules for the lights, since they are LEDs and adaptive. The lights themselves will set you back a few lacs, considering how expensive LED headlight assemblies are these days. Then to get it all functioning will be a task, its possible even the wiring harnesses are different.

Basically its not worth the effort. In BMWs this is much easier to do, and its still fairly difficult.
Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 22:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I believe even the front fenders are different on the W212 facelifted version - and if the fender is different, most probably even the doors would be shaped differently (not sure though).
Well, I did check with the Service Advisor, on mechanical parts, the below mentioned is the list:
Front Bumper
Front Grill
Front Headlights
Front Bonnet
Front Wiper Assembly (Don't know why)
Rear Doors (Ponton Inspired back is gone in the new one..)
Rear Bumper
Rear Tail Lights...
Then as per him, there would be around 1247 Codings which have to be done on the facelifted version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Instead, a better option would be to go for an AMG bumper up front and back and a good set of alloys.
Thanks for the advise mate, but then its just that the newer face is far more better looking than the quad setup...

This is what I am talking about..Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?-screen-shot-20171109-10.37.40-pm.png

Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?-mercedeseclassfacelift05.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The lights themselves will set you back a few lacs, considering how expensive LED headlight assemblies are these days. Then to get it all functioning will be a task, its possible even the wiring harnesses are different.
Akshay Sir, that was my other question, do we have W212 Face lifted headlights with third party vendors, the new set of head lights with the assembly and harness will set me back with 2.3 BIG ONES

Last edited by Eddy : 9th November 2017 at 22:55. Reason: Merged
understated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 22:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

I actually prefer the look of pre-facelift W212 compared to the facelifted version. The facelifted E looks a bit Korean.

Also, how can you hide away headlight washers and fog lights? They are so cool.

What you may need is a kit like this.
Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?-sl1600.jpg

ebay link

And is that your car in the pic above? The bonnet is not sitting well on the left side. There is a gap to the grille and headlight.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 08:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I actually prefer the look of pre-facelift W212 compared to the facelifted version. The facelifted E looks a bit Korean.

Also, how can you hide away headlight washers and fog lights? They are so cool.

What you may need is a kit like this.
Lol, I thought, it looks more youthful than the daddy in his bathing suit (previous one). Although, Yes I do agree with you that the conversion may be an impractical idea..
The bonnet aint sitting flush on the left cause the bumper is slightly sagging. I rear ended an Indica almost a month back..
Old 10th November 2017, 08:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Deetjohn.

The pre-facelift Mercedes E looks better in my opinion. I particularly love the old traditional Mercedes grille with the hood-ornament affixed above it.

My suggestion would be to avoid carrying out this modification as it would make it incredibly expensive, and relsale value will take a hit too, down the line.

All in all, it's not worth the effort.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 10:56   #8
A M
BHPian

Its better to avoid fiddling with the complex electronics. It may, quite possibly, happen that your car ends up spending more time in the garage just looking prettier than being on the road after you finish with your facelift. And looking at the cost of spares, you will end up spending quite a big amount and yet end up with a headache.

I would say, sell it and buy a pre-owned face-lifted W212. If the dealer is quoting 16.5 L, it might fetch around 18-19 L with an individual buyer and the face-lifted version is costing around 25 L (as you mentioned), that makes for a difference of 6-7 L which I think is a better investment. If you choose to modify your current car anyways, just a set of headlights and taillights will cost you around 5-6 L, and then there are concerns with the labour quality.

My advice would be a lateral upgrade to the face-lifted W212.
A M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 11:47   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can I convert my Mercedes E-Class (W212) to the facelift version?

As other BHPians have pointed out, this doesn't make sense at all. Instead, spend the money on:

1. A sweet body kit

2. Sexy rims

3. Remap

It'll make your car a lot more desirable than a facelift job for the heck of it. Additionally, it's always a good idea to spruce up the car once it's at the 5 - 6 year mark; helps to renew your interest in the car & make it more enjoyable, thus you'll keep it for longer (and save money versus buying a new car).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:52   #10
BANNED

When someone facelifts their old model vehicle to a newer model with more than just a bumper or light swap (same shape but newer optics/tech) the first thing that goes through the mind of someone who sees the vehicle is "accident repair" or "salvaged".
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 14:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As other BHPians have pointed out, this doesn't make sense at all. Instead, spend the money on:

1. A sweet body kit

2. Sexy rims

3. Remap

It'll make your car a lot more desirable than a facelift job for the heck of it. Additionally, it's always a good idea to spruce up the car once it's at the 5 - 6 year mark; helps to renew your interest in the car & make it more enjoyable, thus you'll keep it for longer (and save money versus buying a new car).
Well, seems like everyone is on the same page and without any doubt, I am quite positive about the fact that everyone here is far more knowledgeable than me, So yeah, I think from what this forum has to say along with the service engineer at Merc, I will surely drop the idea of Conversion.

GTO, you being an owner of F10, do you think its advisable to shift from W212 250D to 520d? As my daily drive is around 40-50 kms, mileage is my priority. (I being in the driving seat for 80% of the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
When someone facelifts their old model vehicle to a newer model with more than just a bumper or light swap (same shape but newer optics/tech) the first thing that goes through the mind of someone who sees the vehicle is "accident repair" or "salvaged".
Lol, thats sad, but then I do understand your point, this will surely take a hit on the resale of the car, as I agree it would be difficult to convince that the conversion was a WANT and not a NEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Its better to avoid fiddling with the complex electronics. It may, quite possibly, happen that your car ends up spending more time in the garage just looking prettier than being on the road after you finish with your facelift. And looking at the cost of spares, you will end up spending quite a big amount and yet end up with a headache.

I would say, sell it and buy a pre-owned face-lifted W212. If the dealer is quoting 16.5 L, it might fetch around 18-19 L with an individual buyer and the face-lifted version is costing around 25 L (as you mentioned), that makes for a difference of 6-7 L which I think is a better investment. If you choose to modify your current car anyways, just a set of headlights and taillights will cost you around 5-6 L, and then there are concerns with the labour quality.

My advice would be a lateral upgrade to the face-lifted W212.
Sir, would you recommend shifting from W212 250D to F10 520d, as there are plethora of F10's out there, and the one's with low odo's are only fraction of lacs more expensive compared to mine.
Also, I am not a huge fan of A6, for me it is too understated and simple. What other options do I have in the market which I can't think of? Given that fuel economy is one of my priorities, I am not planning to upgrade to a 6 cylinder motor.

Last edited by bblost : 10th November 2017 at 14:12.
Old 11th November 2017, 23:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is not an Ambassador where a Mark I can be face lifted to become a Grand or vice versa. Besides, the Grand and other Ambassador models are chic to look at for years together. Most of them had a long model life.

The Merc facelifts or introduces a new model every few years. My point is that if despite going through all the hassles , you are successful in giving a facelift to your W 212 in the contemporary shape, how long will it remain contemporary ?

It will look dated in another four to five years. And the resale value will dip to a much lower level, as compared to the stock W 212's of your car's age. This is because every buyer will suspect involvement in an accident or the like as the reason for facelift. Stock cars with original paintwork are most preferred by buyers in the used car markets.

Hence, it better to let your car remain stock and buy a new one, when you feel the time is ripe to go for another one.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th November 2017 at 23:21.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 11:19   #13
BHPian

Just wanted to check if you have gone ahead with modifications and if so how did it turn out and how much did it cost you. I am in the exact same boat; very happy with the car after 7 years and see no point in spending 40 big ones on a new car but would like a change in appearance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2019 at 13:30. Reason: Typo.

Most Viewed