Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Mattress for a car?

Hi,

Anyone here using a car mattress, saw some on Amazon, thought would be very useful for long drives.Please recommend if you have used one.
Below is one such product.
https://www.amazon.in/Berry-Travel-I...s=car+mattress
Not sure, how to use the seat best in this case
Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mattress for a car?

If you plan to make others sleep while you or someone else is driving the car, its a bad idea. From the safety point of view, there is no way to hold the person using it in place in case of any accident, sudden manoeuvres etc.

However, you can use this if you plan to camp outside and want to sleep in the car when parked. Against better advice, one of my friends uses such a contraption where his kid plays/sleeps at the back while he is driving. I did try it out, its a good idea only if your car is parked.
blackwasp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 15:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

I 've been thinking about purchasing something similar for quite some time but after going through various reviews of few such products, in a gist, following are the potential issues: a) Loss of air gradually after inflating b) Bad odour inside the car because of the material c) Variation in size w.r.t. type of car, resulting in lack of proper fitment. But I am sure with a good brand things should be much better.
Kandisa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
a) Loss of air gradually after inflating b) Bad odour inside the car because of the material c) Variation in size w.r.t. type of car, resulting in lack of proper fitment. But I am sure with a good brand things should be much better.
Yes, loss of pressure gradually is mentioned by the manufacturer, the smell should go away with the mattress being put out in the sun for a day I think.
Regarding size mismatches, i heard that you put the mattress in first and then put in air, it will adjust as per the space.
I think a BHPian from Kolkata or NE having a Ford figo has one such mattress IIRC.
Old 21st December 2017, 09:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have been using one for a very long time now and it has proved useful on longish drives with the kids at the back. An adult is not so comfortable but two kids can easily sleep in the back. Using additional pillows on the sides any sudden movement is taken care of. As it is since we do not use rear seat belts so its almost the same on the safety aspects.
As far as installation goes, you need to push the front seats slightly forward, inflate and then adjust the front seats. Loss of pressure or air is almost negligible over a single day.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 10:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I have been using one for a very long time now and it has proved useful on longish drives with the kids at the back. .
Would you be able to recommend some brands or is it a very generic product?
Old 21st December 2017, 11:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
.. thought would be very useful for long drives.Please recommend if you have used one...
Sorry, but, I wouldn't recommend one. Especially with kids. It's Super Unsafe. A hard braking is enough to cause damage.

When you are in a moving car, you need to be properly seated and buckled in.

However, this can be used when you go camping or need to sleep in a stationary car.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mattress for a car?

If you don't love someone, have them sleep on the mattress while you're driving .

Comedian Jaspal Bhatti died on the backseat of his Honda Accord because he wasn't buckled up. Some say Princess Diana would also have survived if she'd buckled up on the backseat of a W140 S-Class - then the safest car in the world.

On the other hand, if someone comes to this thread looking to make a bed for camping etc., here's an excellent thread.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would not use a mattress in a moving car for safety reasons as already described by fellow bhpians. Everyone needs to be buckled up in the car, for their safety as well as that of other passengers. Similar for other luggage lying around, I would say.

I am curious about the usage in a parked car/ camping site.
- For safety reasons, all windows would be up
- How would the ventilation be taken care of?
- if the engine is left running, would this not be a risk in terms of carbon monoxide in the cabin?
- if windows are closed and there is no ventilation, this would cause suffocation.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am curious about the usage in a parked car/ camping site.
If the car is in an open, breezy, secluded area, like when camping. You can sleep in the car with AC on and re-circulation turned off. Otherwise, it's with windows open and car switched off.

However, I would prefer with open windows if the temperatures are manageable, because of the carbon footprint and the dehydration AC causes.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks