Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2004, 14:51   #1
BHPian

Every time I take my Accent (2001, GLS) to my native town, it is very heart rending. Invariably, I have to drive with 5 people and many times with my trunk loaded (& heavy).
What happens is when I come to some really bad speed bumpers or rain devastated road, I have to either ask my passengers to get off the car or risk scraping my car's bottom (dont know exactly where). Very scary scraaaaaaatching sounds.
I was wondering if the suspension is the problem as I can see other cars (old City, for example) making short work of that bumper.
What are my options? Can the suspension be tightened or something like that? (Do not suggest me to change car, at least for now )
TIA

Siva
Old 9th October 2004, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

yours is a 2001 accent....the later ones....i think from 2004 onwards have started coming with stiffer shocks...atleast i know thats the case with the CRDi.

Y dont u call up ur service centre and ask them what can be done.
Old 11th October 2004, 01:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, the prob is that while your car finds it diff to get over speed breakers, the Vtec (with stiffer suspenssion) feels really sad when driven on broken roads.

I've seen accents and Indicas blast past me when i'm forced to do a measly 40-60kmph due to road conditions.

Stiff suspenssions are good, only if you drive yor car on very good roads.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd November 2004, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

what if a car has skirts and lower bumpers ....wht do u do then....is thr any way to avoid those bumps ......dont think so cause the clearence is reduced
Old 23rd November 2004, 22:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

The you might have to raise the suspenssion (if at all it's possible), but that can create havoc at high speeds. U maynot be able to enjoy the handling benefits anymore.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd November 2004, 23:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (revtech @ Nov. 23 2004,19:31)]what if a car has skirts and lower bumpers ....wht do u do then....is thr any way to avoid those bumps *......dont think so cause the clearence is reduced
Best way to get over a big speed bump is to go over it at an angle in a way that only one wheel goes over the bump at a time...this way most of the speed breakers can be dealt with...without scraping the underbody.

Drifter
Old 23rd November 2004, 23:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey drifter

thts a good pointer and thts wht i normally try n do but if u hav skirts i dont think tht will help much .....will it??
Old 24th November 2004, 01:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]thts *a good pointer and thts wht i normally try n do but if u hav skirts i dont think tht will help much .....will it??
That'l depend on the size of the bump. and yes it would be harder than taking a normal car over that same bump as the clearence wouyld have reduced a bit.

Shan2nu

Old 24th November 2004, 02:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (thalavoy @ Oct. 08 2004,13:21)]Every time I take my Accent (2001, GLS) to my native town, it is very heart rending. Invariably, I have to drive with 5 people and many times with my trunk loaded (& heavy).
What happens is when I come to some really bad speed bumpers or rain devastated road, I have to either ask my passengers to get off the car or risk scraping my car's bottom (dont know exactly where). Very scary scraaaaaaatching sounds.
I was wondering if the suspension is the problem as I can see other cars (old City, for example) making short work of that bumper.
What are my options? Can the suspension be tightened or something like that? (Do not suggest me to change car, at least for now )
TIA

Siva
the ebst option is to use public transport on bad roads.
Old 24th November 2004, 16:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]if u hav skirts i dont think tht will help much
- the sideway stunt wont help much !! but u can have a switch to pull up ur skirts 90° and sail ur..

but yes the accents specially the earlier ones looked like planes ready to take off when fully loaded with 3 people in the rear and stuff in the boot - all i have seen the guys driving these accents is go REEAAAL SSLLOOWW over the bad roads !!

thats it - as shantanu says raising the suspension spoils the handling ( if any )

cheers
Old 24th November 2004, 17:11   #11
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Handling..what handling? No relation of handling and accent. I experienced this recently in my own car...its like a boat
Old 24th November 2004, 17:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, when i heard skirts n stuff, i forgot that it was an Accent and thought it be a Lancer SFXI, that's why the handling issue. Lol

Shan2nu
Old 24th November 2004, 18:14   #13
BHPian

I had been having similar problems in my Zen when loaded with a bunch of people, so I went in for a local mechanics recommendation to put spacers. They increased the clearance by about 2-4 inches, and that has definitely helped a lot. I'm not sure about the difference in handling, since I don't redline her too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i forgot that it was an Accent and thought it be a Lancer SFXI, that's why the handling issue.
Can you elaborate a little bit on this? Is the (stock) Accent better at handling than the Lancer, or vice versa?

- Aalaap
Old 24th November 2004, 19:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aalaap @ Nov. 24 2004,15:44)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i forgot that it was an Accent and thought it be a Lancer SFXI, that's why the handling issue.
Can you elaborate a little bit on this? Is the (stock) Accent better at handling than the Lancer, or vice versa?

- Aalaap
Wow, hell no!! the Lancer is supposed to be the best handler in the class.
I have personally experienced the "boat" handling of the Accent, trust me, its scary!
Old 24th November 2004, 19:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey guys

giv shan2nu some credit lol....hes rite i was talkin bout a lancer with skirts not an accent..its a biit off topic but i was talkin bout the lancer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks