Team-BHP - SC: Vehicle cannot be altered to change original specs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   SC: Vehicle cannot be altered to change original specs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/205487-sc-vehicle-cannot-altered-change-original-specs-5.html)

Let us be clear about a very simple modification such as tyre upgrade which is actually required because manufacturers give puny tyres to cars launched in India.

https://indianlegalsolution.com/car-...laws-in-india/

The above link states - " Justice Mishra said that it was amended with the purpose to prohibit alteration of vehicles in any manner including change of tyres of higher capacity, keeping in view road safety and protection of the environment."

So does that mean even a +1/+2 change in tyre size that is so much required is not allowed now?

To most, cars are a mean of transport, to travel or carry goods from point A to point B. To go to work everyday, to reduce human effort and increase comfort while we pollute the air and contribute to global warming and traffic jams. No doubt it has its fantastic advantages like covering long distances in short time, convenience, to increase work efficiency, etc. But does this mean that every single vehicle sold from a dealership is an indirect property of the Govt and not a personal item any more?

There are some fools like my self, who love cars, or rather who live cars.

I have been in love with cars since I was a kid. Even more I always loved to customize my car, or even build one from scratch for that matter. But with the new regulations in place, it seems that it's now impossible to custom build you own vehicle the way you want it. Be it performance upgrades, styling upgrades, or even special purpose upgrades.

Are we not allowed to upgrade our vehicles for our own safety (like roll cages, brake upgrades, wheels, suspension upgrades), our passion (high performance upgrades whole maintaining emission norms), styling upgrades (cosmetic) etc?

It would be an understatement to say that existing methods in the appropriate offices to make changes on the vehicle are anywhere close to feasible procedures.

Should there be no concern for such people in this country?

Cars cannot be bought and kept in the parking after being customized. Some people have hobbies such as gardening. They can plant various plants in their own home garden the way they want without any restrictions. Well some people like to build and customize cars. The whole purpose of a car is to drive it. And not every car enthusiast in the country owns his or her own private rave track.

So what should we do next?

The purpose of this thread is to try and discuss the solution to either develop something legal for 'custom car building / modification' or else try and build a private track with common funding where like minded people can come with their cars on flatbed trucks, unload them and show off their cars and drive occasionally to have some fun. Where official FMSCI certified motorsport events like Drift racing, Drag racing, car shows can be organized..

Just pouring in my thoughts.

Disclaimer:
In NO WAY do I blame, point fingers at, have any objection against, start a revolt against, cause any discomfort / distress against any of the rules made by the Govt, or the govt itself, or any of the govt employees / private employees any and all persons on the face of the earth who might feel that this post / thread may be unethical, improper, inappropriate, offensive, etc.
These are just my thoughts as an individual and I do agree I may be wrong in any or all the points above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcknamboo (Post 4561822)
SC ruling is just interpretation of our crappy copy-paste British Raj laws that were created to stifle Indians from achieving anything worthwhile or growing. IMHO, MV Act like many other laws has enough stuff to stifle science, technology, research and social development.

IMHO Automobiles are a cheap and easier way to get people interested in technology. It's something that people use daily.

Automobile aftermarket is $3-400 billion worth and touch $500 billion by 2025.

SC cannot create new laws, only interpret what is written already in the law and maybe tweak a bit for modern times. It is the parliament that has to come up with new laws.

Can't we start a campaign for better laws to support modifications, low volume custom vehicles etc like in west? And those countries bring technologies that awe everyone not just petrolheads right?

[I had poured in a lot but that reply seems to have gone missing?]

Thank you for your honest opinion. It's about time indians get together before everyone with the will and desire to upgrade cars with the right opportunity runs away abroad and all we are left with is stock car owners.. But as I'm no expert on this topic, I suggest someone with a background in law to get back with some valuable inputs.

Cheers

Doesn’t violate Motor Vehicles Act — HC directs registration of Ambassador car with artwork source

SC: Vehicle cannot be altered to change original specs-ambassador696x392.jpg

Quote:

Malhotra had obtained a no-objection certificate from the registering authorities in Delhi and completed other formalities. But the Chandigarh administration refused to register the car, saying that it had been changed to a “multicolour (ed)” vehicle from “white”.

Referring to section 52 of the Motor Vehicles Act (MVA), which bars any change in the structure of a vehicle, the transport department had said that changing the car’s colour was equivalent to altering its original specification.

Malhotra had then approached the high court, pointing out that the car’s colour had not been changed and its background still remains the same. Only the vehicle’s body has been partly painted on.

This particular ruling of the Supreme Court seems to have caught the attention of people from another continent. :D

https://youtu.be/9di_HuhADDs

Guys just bumping the old thread to understand what is the verdict on luggage rooftop rack. I have one installed on my XUV 5 years back. Do I need to get it removed or be ready to be fined by any cops?

A RE Bullet rider was fined Rs 15,000/- by the traffic police for an illegally modified silencer that emitted cracker like noise. After stopping the rider the police was letting him go, but instead of being grateful he started arguing, creating nuisance and continued to emit the cracker like noise, irritating the cops. Hence, the penalty was levied to punish him.

Firstly, such illegal silencers are a public nuisance and are an irritant for fellow traffic users.

Secondly, RE Bullets were once used by law enforcers, mainly the cops. But now quite a few of the RE Bullets are eye sore for the cops with illegal modifications and also being a favourite of some traffic rule violators.

Quote:

However, instead of being apologetic for the nuisance, he is seen creating on the road, the rider is seen arguing with the policemen. In the video, he is seen confronting the men in uniform and arrogantly arguing about his actions. For his silly antics and riding with an illegal exhaust, the policemen penalized him with Rs 15,000.

The link with video:

https://www.cartoq.com/bullet-rider-...ified-exhaust/

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheelWake (Post 5222903)
Guys just bumping the old thread to understand what is the verdict on luggage rooftop rack. I have one installed on my XUV 5 years back. Do I need to get it removed or be ready to be fined by any cops?

Hey, did you ever end up getting fined?

Planning a roadtrip from Maharashtra to Himachal Pradesh soon.

Multiple sources say it's legal, some sources say it's banned in Gujarat and Rajasthan.It's such a pain dealing with inconsistent information :crying.

I would appreciate any feedback from others too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheelWake (Post 5222903)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCupcakes (Post 5471119)
Multiple sources say it's legal, some sources say it's banned in Gujarat and Rajasthan.It's such a pain dealing with inconsistent information :crying.
I would appreciate any feedback from others too.

Roof carriers is not allowed on private vehicles. If you want to officially have it, you need to get it endorsed on the RC, which RTO’s don’t do.
Places where you will be fined which I know of are Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh.
There are numerous articles on Google where you can read about.

Such blanket rulings seem to be the forte of our Supreme Court.
Fortunately for us the average policeman on the street uses his common sense and discretion quite well. And quite often they do profit off using said discretion.
Nowadays I am living in dread of some busybody filing a PIL against me as I have re-upholstered my 15 year old car's seat. And horrors of horrors I have changed the original seat cover material specs. And I have gotten some additional foam placed in the seatback to support my lumbar. We are all now criminals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz (Post 5471172)
Roof carriers is not allowed on private vehicles. If you want to officially have it, you need to get it endorsed on the RC, which RTO’s don’t do.
Places where you will be fined which I know of are Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh.
There are numerous articles on Google where you can read about.

Thank you. Could you please link me to one article that clearly states that carriers are not allowed?
I made a google search and these are the top articles I come across. All clearly state that they are allowed

https://www.cartoq.com/luggage-carri...rt-department/

https://www.renewbuy.com/articles/rt...-cars-in-india

https://www.dnaindia.com/ahmedabad/r...rtment-2683776

----