Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 15:21   #1
BHPian

Step stool / ladder to help elderly folks with ingress / egress into SUVs?

I have Duster & Ecosport. My grandmother, who is 80+ and around 5'1" - 5'2” likes visiting friends, relatives and at times doing some temple runs. Her max travel distance does not exceed 100km one way. She has slight knee problem and these days both getting in and getting out of the cars we currently own has become a problem.

We carry a small plastic step stool (1/2 feet in height) for her to climb in and get out of the car. This usually takes a 2 person (one holding her while climbing and the other helping her slide into her seat) effort given the difference in height between the step stool and car. Once she has boarded the vehicle, we store the stool in the boot and reuse it during egress.

We looked into a lot of step ladder (aluminium ones), plastic stools. The problem with the step ladders are the small foot resting place while climbing and the first step is minimum one feet high. The plastic step stools which we saw were too flimsy which makes it much more dangerous given her age.

Can you guys suggest something which you guys have come across. Are there any other solutions to this. One idea we thought of was to get a custom one built from a fabricator. But, we don't know whether we can explain him the folding mechanism for stowing the stool while traveling.

Last edited by shashi792 : 9th August 2019 at 15:36. Reason: Title modified
shashi792 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 16:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Step stool / ladder to help elderly folks with ingress / egress into SUVs?

Mom has the same issue with tall cars. Whenever I get a body-on-frame SUV / MPV for a test-drive, we take along the metal bajot that she uses for poojas in her temple. Works like a charm and dual-purpose too .

Amazon link
Step stool / ladder to help elderly folks with ingress / egress into SUVs?-91leneqjygl._sl1500_.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 16:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think this solution is pretty ingenious. The short passenger doesn't need to depend on anyone to put the stool below. A simple plastic stool with a leash sounds like a good solution.

That being said, entering with back and pulling the legs up after seating is a good way to enter mid-height vehicles such as ecosport. For tall vehicles such as Endeavor or for vertically challenged people, a footrest or such stool is a must.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mom has the same issue with tall cars. Whenever I get a body-on-frame SUV / MPV for a test-drive, we take along the metal bajot that she uses for poojas in her temple. Works like a charm and dual-purpose too .

Amazon link
Attachment 1903753
I was thinking of something like this (https://www.amazon.in/Hailo-Steel-Folding-stool-Silver/dp/B0048BQHTK/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?keywords=step+stool&qid=156558824 0&s=gateway&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE4UzI4R EFYVUo1TlQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NDQwMjkzREJROEMyMk0 0VjRGJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3OTk1NzY4SDNSNUJOMFRRS zEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJ lY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl )

Does anyone has an experience in using something like these ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Step stool / ladder to help elderly folks with ingress / egress into SUVs?-download.jpg  

Old 16th July 2022, 07:53   #5
BHPian

@shashi792 were you able to resolve your issue to satisfaction?
I am in the same boat and landed here on searching!
Old 16th July 2022, 08:55   #6
BHPian

Got this for my mom who's 4ft 11in, to help her get into my XUV 700. It's foldable as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Step stool / ladder to help elderly folks with ingress / egress into SUVs?-screenshot_20220716085312.jpg  

Old 16th July 2022, 09:13   #7
BHPian

Electrically operated foot step

https://shop.azad4x4.com/product/ele...-with-sensors/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks