Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Want more performance out of my WagonR - Options?

I am an absolute newbie to performance upgrades. I own Wagon-R CNG. I wish to buy a JTP upon BS-VI launch. But, I don't have approval of my better half (we have home loan to clear).

My Wagon R will be 4 this May and go out of warranty. Now, assuming that I don't get to buy JTP as I wish, what are my options for upgrading Wagon R performance?

I know very well, that Wagon-R is not a performance car, but that's all I have. Yet, I would also say, this car has really sporty steering for non-sporty car; despite being EPS (read "non-hydraulic"). Off-course, car height is a problem, but I'm a sedate driver (I commute on highway 33kms one way to office, 68bhp feels pathetic; it's not sufficient even for sedate driver like me).

Requirements:
  • I wish to bump 30bhp
  • Good low end, superior mid and some high end added
  • With added power I need better braking

Doubts on limitations:
  • Can transmission handle the power increase? Where can I get my study material to know for sure?
  • Is Wagon-R's chassis capable of handling this kind of power? Again, how do I figure it out?
  • Considering that it's dual fuel car, what else should I consider?

Doubts on options:
  • Can remapping alone do the trick, or I have to add any parts?
  • If turbo, what happens to the CNG injection?
  • If supercharger, again, what happens to CNG injection?
  • How braking can be improved? Do I have to add disk in the rear? And what about front disks?

Any help to complete my homework is welcome. Please provide me pointers, even if they're not exact answers.
akshye is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Want more performance out of my WagonR - Options?

There are two ways to 'increase' performance.
1. Add Power
2. Reduce weight.

Adding reliable horses is always difficult.
  • The economy grade mill in the wagonR is not exactly mod friendly.
  • Given that there are hardly any projects on the 1.0K series, it will be a trial and error, and you will end up losing big money.
  • However, you still can go ahead with stuff like ECU re-maps, free flow exhaust, and less restrictive air filters. You may get a 10-15% horse power benefit, if done correctly.

Try to look at weight reduction:
  • Get rid of the spare wheels and other junk.
  • Get rid of rear seats (extreme step)
  • Install light weight alloy wheels
abhishek46 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Increasing power on an NA engine is tricky and limiting.
Options available and their pros/cons:
  • Add a K&N filter. There will be a perceptible difference in the throttle response
  • Free-flow exhausts (can be a expensive proposition)
  • Lighter alloys (difference may be too negligible)
  • Run on higher octane petrol (93? higher than this may be just a waste)

Other options could be iridium spark plugs, cold air intake etc but I am not sure if they are worth on WaganR
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post

Any help to complete my homework is welcome. Please provide me pointers, even if they're not exact answers.
A honest opinion. Save up instead of spending on this car and use that money on a fast car straight from the factory, like the JTP.

There is only so much that you can do to make your car faster, and that too most results will be placebo.

Performace parts like a K&N filter, free flow exhaust, iridium plugs works better if the engine itself is a non-commuter engine. And these are expensive. A re-map will only give you a slight increase in power since it is not a turbo charged engine.

My suggestion would be, like I mentioned earlier and to scratch that itch for now, upgrade to a set of good performance tires with an upsize. It will make a significant change.

Last edited by tharian : 19th December 2019 at 13:39.
tharian is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A remap of a non turbo engine will yield minuscule results. All they can do is advance the timing, and that would have already been done from factory for running on CNG. You can consider a free flow exhaust and hope the maker does his job properly. Even then, you want 40% gains over stock, and that’s not going to happen.

You really are left with 3 options

1. Make do with what you have for a couple of years, and then explore the market with more money at hand.

2. Sell of the Waggy and look for something more to your liking in the used car segment. You’ll be surprised by the options you’ll have to choose from at any possible budget.

3. “Offbeat” idea. Find a K12 1200cc engine complete with ECU and wiring from an accidental or salvaged car. Swap it with your existing motor. You’ll have to see if the 4 cylinder engine fits the old WagonR’s engine bay. Some modifications might be required. This is the only way you can realistically get 80+ bhp out of your existing car.

Personally, I’ll suggest option 1. I hate loans and would rather get rid of liabilities on priority basis and then look to spend on what is a whim and a depreciating asset.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I am an absolute newbie to performance upgrades. I own Wagon-R CNG. I wish to buy a JTP upon BS-VI launch. But, I don't have approval of my better half (we have home loan to clear).

My Wagon R will be 4 this May and go out of warranty. Now, assuming that I don't get to buy JTP as I wish, what are my options for upgrading Wagon R performance?
Ditto - I am in a similar situation; WagonR CNG completes 4 years n July 2020 with 60 K on odo at the moment.
Wife's approval on upgrading to an Automatic Transmission - No
Home loan to clear - Yes

One thing that even I had thought to improve performance is probably to get rid of the CNG tank altogether rather than buying a new petrol car on EMI and bearing all the fuel costs - considering the price difference between petrol and CNG (per kg/litre) + cost of acquisition of a new car.

Upgrading to lighter alloys, removing spare tyre will hardly bring in any noticeable difference in the performance.

I would advise on either getting rid of CNG tank and then run only on petrol, if you can bear the fuel cost price difference. Presuming you can since you are considering a JTP

Or leave it as is and upgrade when the 'approval' of the home minister is in place
pankajn1702 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 14:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wish to buy a JTP
I wish to bump 30bhp
IMO it should be VFM and peace of mind to buy a JTP than adding 30hp to Wagon-R.

Reason,
- 30 more horses (45% bump) will requite a lot of mechanical change (at all areas - BIW, Chassis, powertrain)
- Questionable reliability
- Not so practical (with suggested weight reduction options)
- End of the day, it may not be road legal
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 17:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A 4 years old WagonR can get you a 10 years old Honda Civic!

The added bonus-
Honda reliability.
You get better performance than a JTP.
You do not have to shell out any extra money, infact you may save some!

Last edited by Samba : 19th December 2019 at 17:35.
Samba is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 17:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Your car has 58BHP and you want to improve it by 30BHP?! In Maruti, only the Baleno RS version has 100BHP in petrol engine.

IMHO Any expenses on improving performance of 1.0L engine combined with CNG = wasting money. Don't do it. Save / rent powerful vehicles from zoomcar etc from time to time.
ani_meher is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 18:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The added bonus-
Honda reliability.
This is the best solution I would say. The next best is to find a used well maintained VW Polo from the market, that, should suffice your requirement.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
A honest opinion. Save up instead of spending on this car and use that money on a fast car straight from the factory, like the JTP.
Thanks! That's my thought, but we scratch when it itches - the brain is not involved.

Quote:
My suggestion would be, like I mentioned earlier and to scratch that itch for now, upgrade to a set of good performance tires with an upsize. It will make a significant change.
I've already got bigger Michelin tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The added bonus-
Honda reliability.
I have never got anything used ever in my life - from school books, cloths, to house. I don't want to break my first-hand rule with car. Plus I don't trust people, especially with their car. I see moronic drivers everywhere all the time and hence I am very skeptical about gambling with a used car. I shall put efforts into getting that approval rather than searching pre-worshiped car.

Based on all your inputs, it seems that the efforts are worthless and the value it will bring at the end of the day will not be justifiable. Thank you all for saving me time and money!
akshye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:36   #12
BHPian

Ok, i can see where you are going, looking at the options you have listed

1. First things first, forget the 30 bhp increase.Turbo or Super Charging - Out of question. Why? Cost!!! you would end up spending lakhs, that is if anyone is even willing to do it.
2. It would be better to sell this and new base swift or Ignis with a 1.2 K12 or a good used one. A Wagon R does fetch a good resale and if you are upgrading to a Swift/ Ignis, you would get some loyalty bonus.
3. if you only have a small budget - get these -
a. NGK Iridium Plugs and a K&N panel filter.
b. Upgrade to a good engine oil, maybe even synthetic.
c. If you can find a good fabricator, you can look into getting a full exhaust.
d. Better wheels and tires.

My point 3 upgrades will not add a lot of power, but the engine will breathe better, revv more freely, and push exhaust gasses easier. The sensation that these upgrades provide, should do the trick (till u get a turbo in your life )
Rohit_Quad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:37   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Want more performance out of my WagonR - Options?

My suggestion = Accept your car for what it is, and for what it isn't. I once tried to make my Jeep go fast with a 1.8 Isuzu petrol engine and it ended bitterly. Lesson learned .

My suggestion = For now, add a free-flow exhaust, intake etc. and be happy with the mild enhancements. Spend 10 - 20 grand on your ICE and you'll enjoy the drive more (if you are into music).

Once vitamin M permits and in about 1 - 2 years, sell your WagonR and do a lateral upgrade by buying a used WagonR 1.2L. It will leave you grinning . Maruti pulled off a master-stroke by plonking that jewel of an engine into the WagonR. Alternately, you could also buy a pre-owned JTP in 2021.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best advice on this thread!

Right now JTP is great value for money if one can't stretch to get the GT TSI. I'd stay far away from any remapping or engine enhancement mods given the car in question.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will give you the simplest, fastest, easiest and Zero risk solution (risk from Mods). Also, no matter what you do, a Wagon R can never become a performance car, given the dynamics.

Solution Proposed:

Sell the Wagon R and get about 3 lakhs.

Buy a Performance car with those 3 lakhs, I got a Polo 1.6 for around that price. There is no better performance hatch back than a Polo from safety and dynamics point of view. I got the Highline, hence have the airbags and abs also, in addition to the alloys and music system.

You can get the following cars for 3 lakhs (top of my head, in addition to Polos)
  1. 2nd Gen Maruti Swift
  2. Ritz
  3. Honda Civics
  4. 3rd Gen Honda City (rare finds)
  5. Second Gen Corollas
  6. SX4
  7. Skoda Lauras

Last edited by 2000rpm : 20th December 2019 at 13:27.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks