Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 19:12   #1
BHPian

Any issue with placing a Dashcam next to the Fastag?

I am about to install a dashcam. If it is installed on the windscreen right near the Fastag sticker, will it affect tag detection at toll plazas (electronic interference)?. I could not find any reference regarding this anywhere.
Thanks.
Old 31st January 2020, 07:18   #2

My dashcam is right next to Fastag and I don't face any issue. I went last month to TN and Kerala crossing through several Fastag enabled lanes and not once did I face any issue
manduks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 07:38   #3
BHPian

re: Any issue with placing a Dashcam next to the Fastag?

My dashcam is right next to my fasttag and I faced no issues over the last 2 years. Will post a pic later if I can.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 08:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Any issue with placing a Dashcam next to the Fastag?

None whatsoever. The dashcam has no technology that will interfere with reading of a Fastag. Most people have installed the Fastag behind the IRVM.

If your Fastag isn't read, it's an issue with the Toll Plaza reader, not your Fastag. Get the operator to come out with the reader gun and manually scan the tag. The technical implementation is fairly poor.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 09:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

My Dashcam is exactly under the IRVM. Due to that, I had to paste my Fastag next to dashcam slightly on the right side of the dashcam. Both of them work perfectly.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Here's mine. Have not faced any problem till date.
Attached Thumbnails
Any issue with placing a Dashcam next to the Fastag?-img_20200131_194345_compress66.jpg  

Prakritij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:35   #7
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Slightly off topic but can anyone advise if the Fastag can be read if it is stuck on a windshield which is fitted with VKool sun film? I read somewhere that it may be problematic as the film has some metallic particles embedded in it which may cause the Fastag reader to fail to read the Fastag.

Anyone with experience please do let me know.
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
SS
Old 31st January 2020, 21:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

Slightly off topic but can anyone advise if the Fastag can be read if it is stuck on a windshield which is fitted with VKool sun film? I read somewhere that it may be problematic as the film has some metallic particles embedded in it which may cause the Fastag reader to fail to read the Fastag.
I have 3M CR70 on my windshield. Absolutely no problems.
Two weeks back had a trip from Chennai to Kerala. At all booths the tag worked smoothly. And in line with the topic of the thread, I have a dashcam too.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st February 2020 at 10:23. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
rajivr1612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:16   #9
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses, friends.
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:30   #10
BHPian

I have fixed the dash cam right on top of the FasTag. Only the lense peeps out from under the sticker. I have found two advantages: the camera is not easily noticed from outside and the sticker gives it a certain level protection from sun.

I have driven across several toll booths and not once I had any issue with the tag being not read. I have 70mai Smart Dash Cam Pro, without GPS module.
lejhoom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Slightly off topic but can anyone advise if the Fastag can be read if it is stuck on a windshield which is fitted with VKool sun film?
SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I have 3M CR70 on my windshield. Absolutely no problems.
I too have not faced any issue with 3M CR70. But, in my new car, I tried to act smart and fixed the fastag sticker on a cheap sun film strip that I got from a sticker shop and stuck it on the windshield using tape. This doesn't get read most of the time. Now this is a new tag, so I don't know if the issue is with the tag or the sunfilm jugaad.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 14:19   #12
BHPian

Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

Well, none of you who has kindly responded has mentioned whether your dashcam has any radio frequencies or wifi functionality. It is THAT which could cause the interference.

I just got a Viofo A129 Plus Duo dual cam (front and rear). This camera has GPS and Wifi; and does use radio frequencies. While there is a warning to not install this close to other electronic devices (because it could (not will, but could) cause interference according to them), there is no info specific to RFID tags such as Fastag.

Searching for any info about this online yields no results other than general interference info.

So I am bumping this thread asking for info from people who either own cameras with similar features; or people who are qualified/familiar with this technology who can provide definitive information.

Thanks and cheers

Last edited by tilt : 4th October 2021 at 14:20.
Old 4th October 2021, 14:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

I just got a Viofo A129 Plus Duo dual cam (front and rear). This camera has GPS and Wifi; and does use radio frequencies. While there is a warning to not install this close to other electronic devices (because it could (not will, but could) cause interference according to them), there is no info specific to RFID tags such as Fastag.
Don't have a Viofo so can't say it would be the same for you 100%. But I do have a DDPai z40 dual dashcam (which has both GPS and Wifi) and the front cam is placed right below the fastTag.

No issues for us till now.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
This camera has GPS and Wifi
Not an expert on technology, however I have been using DDPAI Mola N3 with GPS and WiFi module for last one year. The dashcam is placed close to the Fastag and have never faced any issue with it. Fastag works seamlessly.
gloriole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 16:06   #15
BHPian

Have a dashcam with GPS + WiFi mounted next to fastag on both our cars, not encountered any interference related issues with scanning.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks