Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 21:49   #1
BHPian

OEM dash switches to fill up the blanks?

Hello,
Almost all cars I have seen had dummy blanks in positions meant for installing switches in the dashboard. I have, however, never seen a proper oem switch in their positions. Often, if there are more switches than one, they will be of different types and colors. A real eyesore. Is it possible to get OEM switches that are meant to be used ? My efforts so far have failed.

Also which is the best way to route a cable from battery to the cabin in my Baleno zeta ?
Thanks.
Old 28th May 2020, 22:02   #2
BANNED

Re: OEM dash swithes available ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
Almost all cars I have seen had dummy blanks in positions meant for installing switches in the dashboard. Is it possible to get OEM switches that are meant to be used ? My efforts so far have failed.
What is it that you want to fit the new switch for?

Quote:
Also which is the best way to route a cable from battery to the cabin in my Baleno zeta?
There must be large sized grommet on the firewall where all wires pass into the passenger compartment from the engine bay.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 22:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What is it that you want to fit the new switch for?
I have a few things in mind, like an auto mirror folder/ window closer (with a switch to disable it when needed), a pair of hella/roots horns with selection option,etc.

I don't need particular markings on switches showing what it is for.

Is it safe to pierce rubber grommets in regard to water insulation ?
Old 29th May 2020, 11:12   #4
BHPian

Re: OEM dash switches to fill up the blanks?

Search for "suzuki sx4 switch" in aliexpress. There are many. Should fit in your baleno as well. Most of them have fog lamp marking though.
jothishX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
Search for "suzuki sx4 switch" in aliexpress. There are many. Should fit in your baleno as well. Most of them have fog lamp marking though.
Can they carry the full accessory currents or are they just to drive relays ?
Old 30th May 2020, 22:50   #6
BHPian

They have to be connected to relays for high current stuff like windows or horns
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are talking about crossing the firewall from the cabin to engine bay, Maruti has provided spare stubs in each grommet. You dont have to pierce the grommet. Instead, cut the tip of the stub and route the wires through this. The stub can be taped securely to the wire which will not be possible if you just pierce the grommet.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is. As long as you seal it back properly.

Like @audioholic has said below, MSIL gives pretty nifty stubs in the grommet as a safe place to run wires.

There are professional grommet piercing tools also available, but very costly in India. They are like a very thick IV needle with a concentric tunnel inside. You can run the wire through it while the tool is still pierced in the grommet. Makes running wire through grommet a 1 second job.

I use a simple pointed head screwdriver to puncture the grommet. The head I use ensures the actual hole is way smaller than the diameter of the wire I intend to run through. This ensures a tight grip around the wire and minimal chance of any leak. Additionally, I seal it fully with a nice layer of silicone sealant after wiring is complete. Here is a sample from my own DIY thread -

Sample Grommet Pierce - MSIL car

For cars that have a grommet without such stubs, one has to be really careful during the piercing step as a large rupture / torn grommet will be a headache to fix afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you are talking about crossing the firewall from the cabin to engine bay, Maruti has provided spare stubs in each grommet. You dont have to pierce the grommet. Instead, cut the tip of the stub and route the wires through this. The stub can be taped securely to the wire which will not be possible if you just pierce the grommet.
This is the best way indeed.

Rather than simple tapes, I wonder if Anabond like high quality sealants / adhesives might work out better in a hot engine bay. Especially since the grommet lies behind the engine & all the heat by default gets thrown at the firewall when the car is in motion.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st June 2020 at 23:17. Reason: Minor spacing
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 14:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Rather than simple tapes, I wonder if Anabond like high quality sealants / adhesives might work out better in a hot engine bay. Especially since the grommet lies behind the engine & all the heat by default gets thrown at the firewall when the car is in motion.
You cant use simple tapes. You should use something like TESA or a fabric lined tape. The use of sealants and adhesives will make the job permanent and is never recommended since there will be a need that the wiring will have to be changed in the future. It is never a manufacturer practice to do so.

The idea of wiring in the engine bay is not to make things water tight. It is to limit the exposure to water. The grommet in this case is used to prevent water splashes from passing to the other side, and does not work when the car gets submerged in water. Similarly, when they provide the stub in the grommet, it comes with a cap that should only be cut as per the need. The flexibility of rubber ensures that it resists water. Same thing for most connectors. They are not completely water tight but resist water splashing or spray. If you use a permanent bond, undoing the changes will come with some permanent damage.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 22:54   #10
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I could locate only two grommets : (1) a big one that passes a thick harness to the body control unit in the passenger foot-well. (2) a smaller one near the brake fluid reservoir (bulged inwards). Both did not have any stubs. I believe the second one is carrying the wires to the wiper motor, from where no opening to the dash could be expected. So any Baleno specific info will be very much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks