Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2007, 12:05   #1
BHPian

Adding an indash TFT TouchScreen in palio

I need some input on how should I go about having an indash TFT touchscreen on a palio. Can the palio dash be extended by doing some epoxy or fibreglass fabrication. I dont want to go for a stand mounted display.
Has someone done it on a palio.
Old 20th March 2007, 12:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

U cant do it unless U have double-DIN provision in ur dash which i dont think the Palio has.
If u're gonna mod the dash, u might mess up the AC/console buttons,etc...
Old 20th March 2007, 13:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

You will need to do a lot of alterations to include a TFT screen flush mounted in the dash.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Are there some after market moulds available which can be placed between the gear lever console and the the bottom of the Dash... I got one such mould for my 800 some years back. If there is something like that then it would be very helpful.
Do I have any other option apart from an in-dhash one keeping in mind the ergonomics
Old 20th March 2007, 15:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Are there some after market moulds available which can be placed between the gear lever console and the the bottom of the Dash... I got one such mould for my 800 some years back.
The dimensions are too small to include a TFT in the place you are referring. Why do you want a TFT in the front? I mean what would you like to use it for? If you plan to watch movies on it while driving then it is a bad idea to begin with.
Old 20th March 2007, 17:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The dimensions are too small to include a TFT in the place you are referring. Why do you want a TFT in the front? I mean what would you like to use it for? If you plan to watch movies on it while driving then it is a bad idea to begin with.
No movies and all... I am getting inspired by Ankur . want to build a car PC....wanted to go forward only if i can commission it in my palio.
Old 20th March 2007, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Would like to add that having an LCD at an eye level as low as something in the console would definitely distract a drivers attention of the road even if just shuffling tracks and moreover rear passengers especially in a small car would not appreciate it on long runs even if watching a movie. A Palio after all is a Hatchback with it's own space constraints... Am using a Santro with an LCD mounted on the Dashboard yes on top of it and adjacent to the Ganesha IDol (for all to get an idea as to where it is) and find this to be the most convenient.

Last edited by suren181 : 20th March 2007 at 17:14.
Old 21st March 2007, 14:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Would like to add that having an LCD at an eye level as low as something in the console would definitely distract a drivers attention of the road even if just shuffling tracks and moreover rear passengers especially in a small car would not appreciate it on long runs even if watching a movie. A Palio after all is a Hatchback with it's own space constraints... Am using a Santro with an LCD mounted on the Dashboard yes on top of it and adjacent to the Ganesha IDol (for all to get an idea as to where it is) and find this to be the most convenient.
Its not going to be for rear passengers or even for the co-passenger. Its going to be for the driver . So that he can have GPS navigation , media control, car status monitoring and all. I want to get a touchscreen for the carPC and not regular LCD for videos and big font track display. To get a better idea about what I am saying you should see what Ankur has done in his ride. He had an advantage of having a double din space in the dash. I can go for a indash VGA touchscreen (motorized) but thats too expensive. So I am thinking of doing some epoxy experiment to try and create some space in the dash for the touchscreen
Old 21st March 2007, 20:00   #9
SRK
Senior - BHPian

hey rishi doesnt the palio have the slot for a system on top of the dash board..
I mean in a place where most cars have a clock or ac vents???

Why dont you got for something like a portable gps..That can be taken out any time you want..Or a pocket pc..

How about these
4.5" and other Notebook Computers at circuitcity.com
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Why dont you got for something like a portable gps..That can be taken out any time you want..Or a pocket pc..

I already have a pocket PC with a GPS SIRF II Chip . This is what my cockpit looks like with GPS Navigation and my Ipod connected to my jvc head unit through aux in:

and this is how the cockpit lights up

This is a very expensive option man. out of qustion and my pocket reach

But I seriously want to go for the car PC so I really want to put a 7" touch screen in my dash
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
No movies and all... I am getting inspired by Ankur . want to build a car PC....wanted to go forward only if i can commission it in my palio.
Flattery will get you everywhere .

Try getting an in dash motorised or non motorised touch screen. Perfect for single DIN dash cars.

If you want a good one, try the Xenarc 700 IDT, not cheap.

cheers.
Old 22nd March 2007, 18:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
Flattery will get you everywhere .

Try getting an in dash motorised or non motorised touch screen. Perfect for single DIN dash cars.

If you want a good one, try the Xenarc 700 IDT, not cheap.

cheers.
Its indeed very expensive Ankur .....more than $400 . I came across a few deals on ebay australia. there is an 8" TFT touch screen (just with a stand) with VGA input for 190 AU$ + 30 AU$ shipping (turns out to be close to INR 8,200) . I was wondering whether an 8" TFT would be too big and would I be able to fabricate some kind of folding stand or an extended dash for it in my car
Old 23rd March 2007, 13:01   #13
BHPian

Ebay is full of other options, much cheaper, in-dash, separate and roof mounted versions. Take a look at them.

But no one can vouch for their quality, thats why i preferred paying more and getting a Xenarc.
cheers.
Old 23rd March 2007, 13:25   #14
BHPian

Ankur I wanted to ask you how difficult is it to work with bondo can i make a custom casing with it. And how well does it bind with the OEM dash boards.
Old 23rd March 2007, 19:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Ankur I wanted to ask you how difficult is it to work with bondo can i make a custom casing with it. And how well does it bind with the OEM dash boards.
I didnt find it hard to work with bondo, but you do have to work fast . Keep in mind that you cant really make a casing using bondo, its not strong enough. Use it for shaping only and filling gaps, your basic frame should be plastic. I used pieces of plastic and epoxy to make the main console and then used bondo to give it shape.

cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks