Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 21:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Softer aftermarket dampers / shock absorbers?

I agree with observation of stiff suspension. Yesterday I traveled in Ola cab to a destination an hour away. Forward journey was in Dzire and return journey was in Xcent (sedan version of Grand i10). I found ride quality of Dzire better than Xcent, assuming tyres were inflated to correct pressure.

I experience similar issue with front end of my Tiago. It has MRF ZVTV tyres having extremely stiff sidewall. Overall ride improves by under inflating front tyres by 3 psi.

Manufacturer’s recommendation:
Front: 33 psi
Rear: 30 psi

My settings:
Front: 30 psi
Rear: 30 psi
Old 15th November 2020, 00:23   #17
BHPian

I did use the Grand i10 sometime back, didn't find the suspension to be stiff, but each one of has specific preferences and liking.

I suggest you switch to Conti Comfort Contact tyres for more comfort. But be aware that they have relatively softer sidewalls and have to be careful while driving through bad roads, I have used Michelin's on most of the cars I have owned, they have relatively harder sidewalls which has its own benefits in-terms if better handing and being less prone to cuts.

It's a trade off one has to make in order to get a better ride quality.
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:00   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Hi,
assuming that there is nothing wrong with the existing suspension set up, no damage, no bent parts and fully operating shock absorbers, springs, bushes etc.
You could try to fit the smallest rims that are specified by the car maker, combined with the highest aspect ratio for tyres also specified by the car maker.
If these do not give the ride you are looking for, sell the car and buy something more suitable.
I don't want to be a "kill joy". I work in a garage in the U.K. and have seen the results of amateur suspension, tyre and wheel modifications. I also know several people who have died, probably, from their misinformed modifications. Car manufacturers spend millions of Pounds/Dollars researching these parts and the effect they have on their cars. Ride quality is always a compromise between stiffness, comfort, handling, braking and economy.

1. Do not, play with the tyre pressures, only use the pressures stated by the maker. If you fit a tyre brand not specified by the car maker, refer to the tyre manufacturer for the correct pressure rating for your car. If they cannot give you a pressure for your car do not buy them.
2. Do not fit springs which are not specified or approved by the car maker.
3. Do not fit shock absorbers which are not specified or approved by the car maker.
4. Do not fit bushes which are not specified or approved by the car maker.

The tyres and suspension are critical to handling, braking, steering and overall safety. Any modifications not approved by the manufacturer will void your warranty, will possibly void your insurance and could easily cost the lives of innocent people.

I repeat, if you cannot get the ride quality you are looking for by making manufacturer "approved" modifications, sell the car and buy something that does meet your needs.

Before you make any "approved" modifications consult your insurance company to see if they will still provide cover, you may also have to pay an additional premium. If you do not declare any modifications you may find your insurance cover to be invalid in the event of a claim. Then you will have to cover all 3rd party claims from you own pocket.
Stay safe !!!

Regards Neil
Redex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:37   #19
BHPian

I've been thinking of starting a similar thread for sometime. My 2019 Octavia 1.8 L&K's ride quality at low speeds is my biggest pet peeve. It feels too jerky over speed breakers and broken roads at low speeds. I have the OEM Goodyear NCT which I plan to replace with Michelin P4ST when they reach end of life. I've been toying with the idea of higher profile sidewalls and smaller wheels but that'd void my warranty. Which I'd rather not do with a German with known DQ200 reliability issues. So far I'm using 29 PSI pressure instead of the recommended 34 PSI and it's bearable, buts till not good enough.

What I'd like is similar to the Laura Ambiente's ride quality. Yes, that Laura version has smaller wheels and a 10mm higher sidewall plus it's a heavier car.

Would really appreciate help from you guys.
Old 16th November 2020, 11:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
So far I'm using 29 PSI pressure instead of the recommended 34 PSI and it's bearable, buts till not good enough.

What I'd like is similar to the Laura Ambiente's ride quality. Yes, that Laura version has smaller wheels and a 10mm higher sidewall plus it's a heavier car.

Would really appreciate help from you guys.
I think your L&K had low profile tyres, there is good reason why they have given a 34 PSi as recommended. Currently your side walls are probably cushioning the ride since you have lowered the tyre pressure , eventually a pothole will pinch the sidewall and you can throw that tire away along with a cracked alloy in the worse case scenario.

Fill the correct tire pressure please, yes there would be a hard edge to the ride but I'm sure the rest of the suspension is designed to work with that as well.
Old 25th November 2022, 23:22   #21
BHPian

advice needed - shocks/suspension upgrade VW Ameo 1.6TDI DSG

My VW Ameo has done 107000 kms in the last 6 years. The shocks are done for its life and need replacing.

I've seen and read about Bliestein B6 and B12 on VW polo. Also KWs on Polo.
I have a rather odd requirement where in instead of stiffening the ride for better handling, I want to soften tbe ride for better comfort. The stock suspension is rather stiff for the kind of roads I frequent on. It is confirmed by the fact that no one who has sat in the car have had any good thing to say about the ride quality.

So, I want advice on what to "upgrade" to if that is the right term.

Thanks in advance.
aadiaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 07:59   #22
BHPian

Re: advice needed - shocks/suspension upgrade VW Ameo 1.6TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadiaksh View Post
My VW Ameo has done 107000 kms in the last 6 years. The shocks are done for its life and need replacing.

I've seen and read about Bliestein B6 and B12 on VW polo. Also KWs on Polo.
I have a rather odd requirement where in instead of stiffening the ride for better handling, I want to soften tbe ride for better comfort. The stock suspension is rather stiff for the kind of roads I frequent on. It is confirmed by the fact that no one who has sat in the car have had any good thing to say about the ride quality.

So, I want advice on what to "upgrade" to if that is the right term.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Bilstein B6 and B12 are more performance oriented. You should go for B4. Those will iron out the bumps better than stock, but they will be very slightly firmer than stock oem. A softer than oem won’t be possible to get usually. Unless you try and get a similar size shockab of another vehicle. But the ride will become bouncy with a weak shockab. Generally not recommended.
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 09:33   #23
BHPian

Thanks. Considering all the options out there B4 and stock are the only pratical options it seems.
Old 17th December 2022, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Just try using a square /rectangular thick foam cushion on your seat.Take one from your home or get one made as a sample.Should be available at most furnishing/mattress stores for custom build purposes.This worked wonders for my ten year old ritz ride quality without removing the seats and recushioning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks