Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 13:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
You can't own a Military Green Gypsy, Black Amby, Air force Blue Amby..!

The restricted colour combinations are with the Cars in particular..!

At least thats what I can think of..!
i dont think thats right ..I have seen several Black ambys lately and theres one privately registered brand new black AMBY in my office parking.
Old 26th April 2007, 14:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Black Amby's are plenty and many beautifully restored Amby's i've seen are in black. There are military green gypsies also, if you check the bombay speedrun pics you can see one GIJoe look alike gypsy painted olive green. One military green enfield bullet is being done up in my garage, two are already on the road. I've seen military green privately owned Jeeps in Kerala.

Airforce blue color in my opinion does not look all that good on a Amby.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:51   #18
BHPian

I said thats what I could think of..!

Some colours are reserved only for Govt Vehicles, If that rule is changed..then good...! Paint it Blue Black Yellow..Specially in times when we can have a Pink Coloured Getz or Estillo..I think the Colour freedom should be given and not restricted.
Old 29th April 2007, 00:25   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys. I'll pass on the message to my friend.
Old 17th June 2008, 05:29   #20
BHPian

Green is good

Hi All,

Here in hyderabad I remember seeing some green jeeps especially those restored willys etc and some gypsies and Mahindras too.

Probably there mite be a problem if the vehicle is camoflage colored - else any plain shade of green shouldn't be a problem.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:37   #21
BHPian

I dont thing there any such restrictions on the color of a car,My nieghbour brought a jeep with the darkish green color with all the military like things on it and he never had a problem( dont know anything about vintage cars so i dont remember the name)
Old 17th June 2008, 11:52   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes the particular shade of Olive Green used by the Army etc can only be used by them
In fact no manufacturer offers that particular shade to private buyers

Around 2003-2004 Mahindra Bolero had a colour called HENNA GREEN - this was deceptively similar to the Army's Olive Green and was stopped. They substituted Turf Green which is very close to the traditional Bottle Green.

If one were to paint one's vehicle in Camouflage colours etc it would most certainly be taking a big chance because as far as I know it is not allowed for civilian vehicles.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th June 2008 at 11:53.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Rudra sir has a shining black amby

secondly a mate of mine just bought a jeep and is getting it painted military green. We cleared it from the authorities and they said this:

"It can be any colour as long as it has no camo markings on it."
Old 17th June 2008, 11:58   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A lot of the vintage Jeeps in Hyderabad are finished in the military matt finish green. Am not aware if that causes a problem. We'll have to check this out with the RTA
Old 29th June 2008, 11:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A lot of the vintage Jeeps in Hyderabad are finished in the military matt finish green. Am not aware if that causes a problem. We'll have to check this out with the RTA
I have a '42 Ford GPW totally original here in Chennai. I certainly wanted the colour also to be original military olive drab. Unfortunately it had to go to the RTO for FC and thats the time the inspector created a problem.
Last time with a little bit of pleading I got away, this time I had to change
the shade. I had no other military markings like the star, hood numbers etc.Yet. So I made it a little lighter green. It purely depends on the Brake Inspector. Sometimes when you reason with them (and a consideration)they listen, sometimes they dont relent.
Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2008, 18:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

My Dad owned a Black Ambassador since 1968 thru 1976 or thereabouts & then owned a Military Green (OE Paint) post that. There were certainly no restrictions then, don't know if they've come up with some new law now, I doubt it though.

Black cars have been around since the time I remember. Even my Grandfather used to own a 1947 Plymouth

Cheers
Old 15th May 2009, 11:31   #27
Sha
BHPian

Olive green colour cannot be painted in private vehicles as per motor vehicle act,but if RTO has passed the vehicle does Military authority has right to impound the vehicle just it's in olive green colour or only RTO can fine.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Olive green colour cannot be painted in private vehicles as per motor vehicle act,but if RTO has passed the vehicle does Military authority has right to impound the vehicle just it's in olive green colour or only RTO can fine.

i agree atleast i was stopped by high ranking military Officers and warned me change the colour of my old jeep which was military green, i dnt knw the rule stands in rest of india as we live in a disturbed area.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:54   #29
BHPian

Is Military Green for civilian vehicles legal?

Hi,

There had been many discussion on Team--BHP about. Some say it is illegal whereas others say it is perfectly legal and they have never faced any problems due to it.

I am planning to buy an army disposal MM 550 and restore it. The work will begin from next week. MM 550 looks real good in military green and if there is no legal issue that will be my preferred color.

So please tell me whether it is legal or not? Is it legal only in certain states? Will having a private vehicle sticker suffice in case vehicle is military green?

I will be using the vehicle extensively in Delhi; and will be driving to Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, UP, HP and MP very often. So please answer this keeping that in mind.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 7th January 2010, 15:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Its illegal to paint your vehichle militry green period. People usualy get their cars painted and mislable it as henna green or some other color, You can get lucky if no one catches you. If they catch it would be difficult to prove unless your RC supports the same. Do not go for matt finish go for glossy finish, this itself makes it much different from the militry color.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks