Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 12:13   #1
BHPian

Chrome Exahust Tip for Ikon getting rusted

Hi Guys,

I have Ford Ikon Flair panther balck a 1+ yr now, I have no issues with my car except a Chrome exhaust tip which ford fitted in the pack.

This Chorme tip gets rusted very 4-5 months, in the sense the clip thats holding the chrome part and exhaust pipe is getting rusted and sets the part loose.

Though ford has replaced twice( thanks to warranty coverage), i am curious to understand how common is this problem with other Ikon users having the chorme tip.

Will low running lead to this?
Old 27th April 2007, 13:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Do you use the car for very short distance drives ?? Coz if you do the vapour forms & STAYS in the exhaust pipe (droplets of water) & hence rusts the pipe, in time your endcan will also get rusted & develop leaks. If you DO NOT use the car mostly for shrt runs, then it is the chrome quality of the exhaust tip solely to blame....

Hope that helps

Cheers
Old 27th April 2007, 13:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

VC, you had mentioned regarding the same to me. Just wondering, you have the chrome tip fixed solely for cosmetic reasons, right? Why persist with it then? Maybe you could ask them to remove the chrome tip. I also had the chrome tip fixed on my car as part of the Blast pack, and besides the look, there is no specific advantage having it. Do consider having it taken off.
Old 27th April 2007, 20:55   #4
BHPian

Hello. My chrome exhaust tip is fine, but my number plate chrome handle is not fine! It has toooo much spots. Happened when the car started driving a lot in rains in the highway and the slush and all splashes on the rear, making it look like rally dirt, tried my best to remove them, but its still there. Ford says these marks i.e.rust cannot be removed.. Grr! But these chrome things are nice!

-Absar
Old 30th April 2007, 10:40   #5
BHPian

Ya I do short running in city with avg of 15-20 per day, as i fly between other cities for work.

But I did pointed the fact of quality of chrome to Ford for wheich even they had no answers, this chrome tip is onlya cosmestic one to enhance the look of th car at the exhaust end.

I am giving its last try with thsi chrome exhaust, else shall do away with it.

Hi Absar,

I love the chrome handle at the rear for boot openeing its classic, even i love to jhave it for my Flair( any idea in Hyd where can i get them?).

You should try a petrol dip cotton or soft cloth and those stains u mentioned wud vanish...

I have also seen some ikons with chrome door handles & chorme cover for side view mirrors.

All let me know ur thoughst for this accsss?
Old 9th May 2007, 20:56   #6
BHPian

hi
i saw this is a thread for ikon flair... so here goes
i recently had a small accident with a car.. and the ford guys here told me that the radiator tube below the radiator is broken...which it is.. and i have to change the whole radiator assembly.
is there an alternative to that.. any temporary fix....the ford guys tell me that a temporary fix will not be a permanent solution... any opinions or suggestions on tat
Old 10th May 2007, 10:14   #7
BHPian

Hi Joe,

I suggest u have it checked with any local experts than teh Showroom folks.

They are hungary to prey on the accessories with mind boggling rates... imagine a rear spolier is quoted at 8k + some charges which u would get in amrket at 3-4k with fitting?

Worst case u need use ur insurance n have it from Showroom
Old 10th May 2007, 11:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

@joe_mclaren : I would suggest going in for insurance to cover the cost of repairs if the quote comes over 8K.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:29   #9
BHPian

Right said use ur insurance if its hitting ur pocket more....
Old 27th May 2007, 11:16   #10
BHPian

thanks guys...
in fact had it checked locally.it looks like the assembly of the radiator and the outlet tube have broken..
unfortunately this whole thing comes as a set..
so had to change the whole radiator set.. came to 13k...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks