Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 17:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?

I am at my wits end trying to fix the dash cam to my wind shield. I am using 3M double sided stickers (gray coloured adhesives) to fix the dash cam to the spot just below the rear view mirror holder/mount.

With lock down the car's movements are very limited. Even in that situation, the dash cam sticker is coming off. Within a week, the sticker is losing the grip and dashcam falls off. I was thinking that 3M stickers are the champs for such kind of fixtures, but looks like I am wrong.

Any advice on getting this dash cam sticker to get a better gripping on the wind shield?

Last edited by sachinpk : 7th June 2021 at 17:31.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 17:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Any advice on getting this dash cam sticker to get a better gripping on the wind shield?
You are using the wrong type of 3M tape.

Use this and you will be all set to drive on the toughest of roads without affecting your dash camera.
dailydriver is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 18:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Once you get the right adhesive, ensure to fix it at the right place. I think the 3M tape doesn't have great reviews. I use a 70 mai and the package had the adhesive along with it. Didn't you get it when you got the whole unit? You can use a thread or a small measuring tape to get it exactly at the center. Remember, once you fix the black tape, it's very sticky and will not come off easily. You need to get the right type. If you are trying it for the first time, take your time, be patient and get things done. A dashcam not fixed properly is of no use, I

Last edited by Raghu M : 7th June 2021 at 18:27. Reason: new content
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
With lock down the car's movements are very limited. Even in that situation, the dash cam sticker is coming off.
Does your car stand in the sun? I have noticed similar behaviour with my phone holder which is attached to the windshield with that suction cup thing. Whenever the car interior gets hot after being parked in the sun, the holder falls off.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 20:05   #5
BHPian

I have the same problem, though with mobile holder. I had stuck the mobile holder to windscreen on bottom right side of windscreen, but the glue melt due to parking in sun and the mobile holder has fallen off. Moreover, the glue has spread around, dripped and has created a mess on windshield. Luckily it is at a spot which does not affect visibility.

Please provide suggestions on what is the best way to cleanup the mess on windshield and stick the mobile holder back such that it can withstand harsh sun.
Old 7th June 2021, 21:31   #6
BHPian

I solved my problem by buying a camera that can also be mounted on top of the dashboard tray, it's DDPAI Mola N3.

Its detachable base mount that has a small yet useful degree of tilt action allowed me to stick it on my dash top and adjust for an optimal angle rather than fixing on windshield since I have sun film on the inside. In this dash top arrangement, gravity is in my favour. 7 months have passed since installation, I do park under shade 90% of the time, no problem so far.

The cam can be easily detached from the glued base to operate the memory card and put back once ready. Infact since I originally brought the non GPS version, I had to buy another GPS base separately so I have the two bases in two cars and I can switch the cam across cars if needed. The loss of view owing to altitude difference is negligible as when mounted higher the road view immediately in front of the car is blocked by the bonnet anyway to a large extent.

DDPai Mola N3 mounted on the dash
Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-06-ranichera.jpg

Some samples
Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-vlcsnap2020120516h24m54s241.jpg

Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-pahar-horizon.jpg

For the context of the mirror mount, although I have not tried personally, I would suggest to get a mirror mount kit like below or get a cam designed to mount at the back of the mirror (light weight) like Garmin Mini.

Mirror Dashcam Mounting Kit
Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-img_20210607_212538.jpg

Garmin Dash Cam Mini, can be mounted behind IRVM

Last edited by haisaikat : 7th June 2021 at 21:33.
haisaikat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 19:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M
I think the 3M tape doesn't have great reviews.
I think even in 3M there are multiple types. The local shops here are selling the adhesive tape which is in gray colour. Where as I have been told that the black colour 3M is the champion and ideal for wind shield.

Quote:
Didn't you get it when you got the whole unit?
My wind shield glass was broken 3 months back. And my dash cam also had caught the whole incident very neatly . So the original sticker given by DDPai was gone (and useless).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano
Does your car stand in the sun? I have noticed similar behaviour with my phone holder which is attached to the windshield with that suction cup thing.
Generally not. But even in the current vehicle shed, the sun light (and heat) does get through early in the mornings from around 9AM to 11:30AM. The phone holder suction cup falling off was a regular occurrence. What I used to do is, before starting my journey just make the suction cup a bit wet (with water) and the fix it again.

You are right, heat inside the vehicle and direct sunlight are causing problems. I feel even the dash cam sticker is falling out because of the heat. I have put down the front side windows by around 0.75 inches, but that also does not seem to take effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner
I have the same problem, though with mobile holder.
The suction cup based holder may be a better choice. And the 'water trick' I mentioned also may work. And even in a worst case scenario a suction mounted holder will not mess up the wind shield with glue.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 21:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest get the 3M tape which comes with a Primer. Using the Primer ensures a super strong bond and hopefully will work for you. Below is the link.

3M Tape with Primer
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Look for 3M VHB 5952, it's black, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the grey ones. The grey one makes the camera more visible from the outside.

5952 is what's supplied by many manufacturers in the box.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:05   #10
BHPian

Re: Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?

Quote:
I am at my wits end trying to fix the dash cam to my wind shield. I am using 3M double sided stickers (gray coloured adhesives) to fix the dash cam to the spot just below the rear view mirror holder/mount.
I used to have the same problem with my 70mai dashcam initially. The dashcam used to fall every 2 days even with 3m tape.This happens because of the heat of the glass and so what I did was added transparent tape between the glass and double sided tape. One year later the dashcam is still in place
Turbo yoda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking that 3M stickers are the champs for such kind of fixtures, but looks like I am wrong.

In my experience, 3M double side loses strength when stored outside a container and had poor experience using it afterwards.Maybe the product I got wasn't genuine.

I used the following product ,purchased from amazon, and is so far holding my Yi dashcam well in place for the last 6-7 months.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0845LBNDL/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-capture.jpg  

Old 12th June 2021, 10:12   #12
BHPian

Attaching picture. Note the insulating layer of tape

Note to moderator- couldn't edit my previous post as the 30min window to edit had passed.
Attached Thumbnails
Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-img_20210612_100852.jpg  

Turbo yoda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 11:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

3M’s VHB tape hands down.

The trick to a proper bonding is to clean the surfaces thoroughly for dust, grime, oil (even skin oil which isn’t directly visible). Use some isopropyl alcohol and rub the surfaces properly. Let it dry and then stick the tape. Foam tapes don’t last. Can vouch for the VHB tapes. VHB stands for Very High Bonding btw.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 12:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am using 3M double sided tape for both my front and rear dashcams for a long time without any issue. Front dashcam is on the same 3M tape since July 2017 and the rear dashcam on the same 3M tape since December 2018. For the rear dashcam an electrostatic sticker (that came with 70mai) was put on the glass then 3M tape on it. I did clean the surface properly before putting the tape on the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-v119.jpg  

Which adhesive tape to use to fit a dashcam to the windshield?-70mai.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 12:57   #15
BHPian

Finally it’s black tape vs transparent tape. I have used both while relocating the camera in my car. Transparent tape works like charm. It sticks well and also does not show up from outside. There are many available on Amazon for as low as Rs 150/- and you don’t have to buy any fancy stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks