Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 11:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Horn replacement in a Ford Aspire / Figo

Has anyone replaced the stock horn on a Ford Aspire/Figo?
My 2017 Aspire horn sounds like it's on it's last legs. It is a single horn and I have a set of Hella windtones as well as a similar type from Minda of which only one works.
Can I fit one of these with minimum splicing or do I need to replace with a stock one itself from the service centre.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My 2017 Aspire horn sounds like it's on it's last legs. It is a single horn and I have a set of Hella windtones as well as a similar type from Minda of which only one works.
Can I fit one of these with minimum splicing or do I need to replace with a stock one itself from the service centre.
The horn connectors would be the same for all cars. If your stock horn is connected with a coupler, you will get such couplers as well as an interface between OE coupler and new horn.

However, if your OE horn is single, you may need to add a relay to it to support dual horns and that requires no cutting or splicing but a bit of basic wiring to install the relay and connect the horns.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 14:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most horn connector are standard spade male connector. If the OEM ford horn also uses the spade connector then you need not have to do any splicing. You get the female spade connector at any motorcycle spare parts store. With this you can build your own harness with a 4 pin relay and you should be good. If your ford uses a proprietary connector, then you need to find the corresponding coupler which can plug into the stock coupler and then extend the coupler and build your own harness.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 18:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I have 2017 Aspire too. About 3 yrs back, I had an additional Hella set added with a two way switch : in position 1 - stock horns and in position 2 - Hella horns. Got it done the after market route with adequate wiring mods (was much simpler than the DIY route). I use the stock one within the city drives and the Hella ones on HIGHWAYS (where the oem ones don't get the basic respect). Within the city I feel the stock horn would suffice and the Hella types might startle the other commuters at times. Having said the above, I prefer less of Honking and use them only when absolutely necessary.

Since yours must be out of warranty, you can try the same too.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 18:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Horn replacement in a Ford Aspire / Figo

Horn replacement in a Ford Aspire / Figo - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
It is a single horn and I have a set of Hella windtones as well as a similar type from Minda of which only one works.
I believe the Figo twins have dual horns. AFAIK there's one at the centre towards the lower end of the bumper and another one is below the LHS headlamps.
blackbandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
My car had a single horn that gave up. I got a pair of Volvo horns from the breakers and moved the plug from the Volvo horn to my wiring harness. I did not have to do anything with the original horn relay in the car.

Your Hella horns might use a simple spade connector so you will have to adapt your horn wiring.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 22:05   #8
BHPian

[quote=blackbandit;5112147]Yes, my 2015 Aspire has twin horns. Even I wasn't aware of it till a couple of years ago.
I had joked with my workshop manager about the poor quality headlights and horn.. he promptly showed me the second location below the LHS headlight, and replaced the horn under warranty
Old 29th July 2021, 19:03   #9
BHPian

[quote=eyedocgb;5112265]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Yes, my 2015 Aspire has twin horns. Even I wasn't aware of it till a couple of years ago.
I had joked with my workshop manager about the poor quality headlights and horn.. he promptly showed me the second location below the LHS headlight, and replaced the horn under warranty
Faulty horns and headlamps are known issues in the Figo. Theres a separate thread discussing the headlamp issue. Even I had got one of the horns replaced under warranty during the initial days of ownership because it was not working as expected and the overall sound was very feeble. Post that I never had issues with the horn till date.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, i recently replaced my horn from the boring Ford ones to Hella blue sapphire. I didn't cut any wire, i ordered a part which will connect with thr original wiring and you can use any type of horn. I believe the connector is the same for EcoSport and Aspire.

However, the time taken to receive this harness is about 10-15 days and there's no tracking ID given. Only email notifications. The cost of this harness is about 1k. On the package it's mentioned as 500 but this wire is imported though

Here's the connector pic
Horn replacement in a Ford Aspire / Figo-img_20210708_181946.jpg

Horn replacement in a Ford Aspire / Figo-img_20210708_170356.jpg

The link to purchase this connector
https://eassycart.com/automobiles/ve...BoC8h8QAvD_BwE

Last edited by jithin23 : 2nd August 2021 at 19:10. Reason: Attaching pic
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have Extended Warranty on your car? If so, they'll replace it under that. I've had the one on my EcoSport replaced last year (just shy of four years).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:12   #12
BHPian

I got the lifeless OEM horn replaced on my 2020 Aspire 1.5 Titanium+ with BOSCH F002H10028 Symphony Horn - Set of 2 [12V 420/500Hz, 105~118dB]. This was done within the first few months of acquiring the car. Got it from Amazon for 600/- and installed without any fuss.
Honking is not advisable unless absolutely necessary, but this horn completely transforms the outcome! I have the same unit on my other 2 vehicles as well and it has not shown any degradation in output after several years.
Old 2nd August 2021, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
I have 2017 Aspire too. About 3 yrs back, I had an additional Hella set added with a two way switch : in position 1 - stock horns and in position 2 - Hella horns. Got it done the after market route with adequate wiring mods (was much simpler than the DIY route). I use the stock one within the city drives and the Hella ones on HIGHWAYS (where the oem ones don't get the basic respect). Within the city I feel the stock horn would suffice and the Hella types might startle the other commuters at times. Having said the above, I prefer less of Honking and use them only when absolutely necessary.

Since yours must be out of warranty, you can try the same too.
I had the same set up on my previous car which was the previous gen Figo. Except that the second horn set was independent of the stock ones.I fitted a Honda Active engine start switch on the bottom right panel next to the steering and used it like a train horn on the highways. Those are same Hella's that I have now sitting idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Hey, i recently replaced my horn from the boring Ford ones to Hella blue sapphire. I didn't cut any wire, i ordered a part which will connect with thr original wiring and you can use any type of horn. I believe the connector is the same for EcoSport and Aspire.
I have put on hold the replacing of the stock horns since it is working now. I was also not aware the Aspire had two horns which is why it is decent sounding and not like ones that came on the face-lifted last gen Figo. I'll probably wait for a while and replace it will the Hella's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Do you have Extended Warranty on your car? If so, they'll replace it under that. I've had the one on my EcoSport replaced last year (just shy of four years).
The warranty on my car has expired. From the sound of it, it seemed like the horn just needed a tuning job. For now it is working and since it loud enough for me, I will wait for it to konk off fully.

Last edited by tharian : 2nd August 2021 at 23:08.
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:01   #14
BANNED

The standard horns are Minda HN 9 with 4amp draw. You can choose to buy a pair of them online swap them at a FNG.

I have swapped them for Hella Red Grills(supertones) without any issues inspite of higher amp draw of 5.5amp.

I have a Hella Reg Grills+Bosch Europas+ Roots Megasonics combo for highway use wired to hornpad. I use two pairs of Bosch symphonies wired to WOLO RC100 remote witch mounted under steering wheel for city use. I have a switch which can turn off the Europas and Megasonics to enable me to use Supertones alone in town.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 3rd August 2021 at 06:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks