Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 17:15   #1
BHPian

Alternative fuels (LPG, biodiesel) in Innova

Has anyone run their Innova on alternative fuels?

Such as installing an LPG kit. Did it affect your warranty? And can the the canister fit in the storage area? Does it fit lengthwise (i.e., the length of the cylinder being parallel to the side of the car). The reason being that it would still be possible to store some long items (like rugs) if you bring down the third row seat.

As for biodiesel, has anyone tried that on an Innova? According to

http://www.biodieseltechnologiesindia.com/

Mercedes, Mahindra, and Tata have stated their warranties will not be affected by use of bio-diesel. Is the same true for Toyota?

Where is bio-diesel available, and can it be bought in bulk?
Old 16th May 2007, 23:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Unless you change your fuel lines, biodiesel will corrode. Some other rubber parts like O rings etc., have to be changed because biodiesel is corrosive in nature.
As for warranty if a manufacturer says the engine went bust due to biodiesel, and therefore no warranty, there is nothing you can do in India.
As for availability, there arent any pumps operational yet.
Old 17th May 2007, 00:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think you are referring to the 15% ethanol blended petrol,which most of todays cars should support without much of a problem.

However even this i dont know,at which pumps it is available.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:11   #4
BHPian

I am also very keen to know of a report on Innova running on LPG. I am looking forward to buy a petrol Innova and then converting it to LPG. Suggestions and casestudies pls.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Has anyone run their Innova on alternative fuels?

As for biodiesel, has anyone tried that on an Innova? According to

Where is bio-diesel available, and can it be bought in bulk?
When you talk biodiesel, you can use either 100% biodiesel or Biodiesel blended with regular HSD (recommended in Indian conditions 1:5 ratio, called B20 because it has 20% biodiesel).
As tsk said, use of biodiesel can cause probelms with rubber parts although it can improve fuel efficiency and reduce pollution significantly.
Warranty issues are mainly on injectors - since manufacturers of injectors (like MICO BOSCH) may not honour warranties if biodiesel is used.
So far, use of biodiesel has not led to any adverse engine conditions as long as some of the issues that tsk mentioned are addressed.
There is no retail dispensing of biodiesel yet, although Government is talking of acieving 20% blend by 2011 - which is a joke since energy plantations (read, jatropha) has not taken off well. Some small quantities are available which are being bought by some STUs, Railways, etc. Several biodiesel plants are coming up in India, and at least 1 large plant (Southern Online near Hyderabad) is supposed to have commenced production, but almost all sales are to oil companies, large users directly and to overseas buyers.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

E_L's LPG tuner told us about an LPG install he did in an Innova petrol sometime back. It's got the throttle-by-wire tech and apparently, she works like a charm on LPG. The owner hasn't returned back to him regarding any tuning which is usually needed for LPG installations.
Old 4th July 2007, 15:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why not buy a diesel Innova in the first place?
Old 4th July 2007, 21:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sequential LPG injection kits are available for Innova. But these kits require high level of expertise to install and service. Perfomance will almost be like petrol driven. Cost is in the 50-60K mark.

Like Iraghava said, why not try diesel. Less headache, no warranty issues, better resale value etc. I run on LPG, but my next car is definately going to be diesel.
Old 4th July 2007, 21:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread which I wanted to start because my friend is telling me to install LPG in my Petrol Innova.

I somehow hate Diesel vehicles (more pollution/vibrations/big on maintanance for indian bad Diesel). Other wise I would ahve baught Diesel Innova. I am happy with my Petrol Innova.

I am thinking to install LPG in my Innova but after 1 year.

Here is what I have gathered about installing LPG kit in Petrol Innova.

My freind knows the guy who sell and install BRC LPG kit. I met him already few months back and had a conversation for 30 minutes.

1. There are more than 4 type of LPG Kits (cost range 18,000/- to 60,000/- RS ) all having same 50+ltr LPG tank fitted behind 3rd row seat.

2. FE same for all kits, performance, FE depends on the way they tune it and sometimes need trial and error to make 100% perfect.

3. The costliest kit thats Sequential injection I guess are best suitable because performance is almost same (98%) as on Petrol and with other kits there will be maximum 10% performance drop.

4. We can get it approved from RTO, Warranty will be lost the moment we install LPG. Let me talk to Toyota guys I know about checking warranty issues however.

5. Last year when checked with Toyota guy about Petrol Innova with LPG he said so far he saw one which had all sorts of problem. They had replace many things and bill was huge but he said he is not sure if its because of LPG. He said efficient installation of quality LPG kit won't do damage on any car.

I plan to install LPG kit in my Petrol Innova once I am in a position to buy one more car ( Safari or Adventure ) for my family 1 year downtheline. So If something go wrong I can have the lpg kit switched to Adventure from my Innova and bring back Innova to originial condition. So I am not in a hurry.

If I find a guy who finds success with LPG kit in Innova I am ready to have one.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:57   #10

Re: Alternative fuels (LPG, biodiesel) in Innova

Though this thread has been dead for some time- here's some first hand experience which mihgt come in handy to a few.

I bought an Innova petrol a year back and got fitted a sequential LPG kit 6 months later. I have driven it extensively for last six months and here is the report card...

A litre of LPG costs about Rs 40/- at a gas station(varies from state to state) and gives you 8 kmpl. (hardly any difference between city and highway). Ends up at Rs 5 per km compared to Rs 7.50/- for petrol. If you use a domestic cylinder for refill it Rs 2.50 to a km.(legality not discussed)

Cost Rs 35000/-

Starts on petol and auto switching to LPG when engine temp reaches 35 degrees (takes about a minute in winters & almost immidiate in summers).

absolutely no driving difference between petrol and LPG. Even in hills. Just returned from Shimla. :-}

A small transfer pump (Rs 2000/-) available in the market to transfer LPG from cylender to the LPG tank of the car. Takes around 7 minutes.(legality still not discussed)

Takes up boot space as the tank presently available is almost as wide as the boot space. Am looking for a good parcel tray which will fit over the tank to reclaim some space back.
sethirs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 10:38   #11

Sethirs,

Thanks for your post. I have a petrol innova and am planning to install LPG kit. I live in bangalore and I need to find out a reliable auto shop where I can get it installed. Can you post some details (such as brand, capacity, etc.) about the LPG kit that you have installed ?

Thanks
Suresh
Old 28th June 2011, 12:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smollyn View Post
Sethirs,

Thanks for your post. I have a petrol innova and am planning to install LPG kit. I live in bangalore and I need to find out a reliable auto shop where I can get it installed. Can you post some details (such as brand, capacity, etc.) about the LPG kit that you have installed ?

Thanks
Suresh
The kit is a 'AUTOGAS' brand kit and had it fitted at Gurgaon (Delhi). If you plan to come to this part of the country I can dig out the exact details for you.
Old 29th June 2011, 12:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethirs View Post
Though this thread has been dead for some time- here's some first hand experience which mihgt come in handy to a few.

I bought an Innova petrol a year back and got fitted a sequential LPG kit 6 months later. I have driven it extensively for last six months and here is the report card...
Does this require frequent tuning for seq kit. Which seq kit brand is being used for your Innova.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 29th June 2011 at 12:41.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Does this require frequent tuning for seq kit. Which seq kit brand is being used for your Innova.

Regards,
Vijay
Vijay quite on the contrary this kit is quite advanced and comes with an ECU of its own which is mated to the ECU of the car. The demand /supply is controlled electronically thereafter thus requiring no adjustments whatsoever.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethirs View Post
Vijay quite on the contrary this kit is quite advanced and comes with an ECU of its own which is mated to the ECU of the car. The demand /supply is controlled electronically thereafter thus requiring no adjustments whatsoever.
Does this system uses additional sensors for MAP and O2. The cost of the kit seems to be cheap, here BRC cost 45K for seq kit. How is the quality of the components whether its made in Italy or locally made here. My car gives 8kmpl in the city and 12kmpl in highway. You have disabled the PM, can you enable it as I want to take it offline.

Regards,
Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks