Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Do in-car air purifiers work?

The air in Indian cities is hazardous to breathe. Do the in-car air purifiers offered in the likes of the Kia cars (and now many others presumably) do much to alleviate the effects of air pollution? Could any experts weigh in regarding whether the air purifiers actually work, i.e. manage to achieve a reduction in PM levels of in-cabin air? Should an air purifier be a priority that a car buyer ought to consider?
karanddd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 14:56   #2
J4J
BHPian

Re: Do in-car air purifiers work?

I use air purifier inside my house. For effective purification, it requires a closed space.

There are two options for a car.
  1. Additional air purifier fixed separately.
  2. Using a PM 2.5 air filter instead of the ordinary air filter.

My personal choice would be the second one as it works out to be much cheaper. In all air purifiers, its just a fan placed after a HEPA filter.

Every air purifier takes time (10-15 mins) to bring down the PM 2.5 level. If your drives are short, it may not bring down the levels. For longer rides, it may, provided you keep the windows and doors closed most of the time. Due to this very reason, effectiveness of air purifiers may be subjective depending on the user.

For a car, air purifier is not a priority feature for me. The surrounding areas where I get in and out are polluted. Just a 10-15 min ride in clean air won't be useful for me. Instead, I would prefer investing more on my 8 hours of sleep with a good air purifier.

Last edited by J4J : 30th October 2021 at 15:09.
J4J is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Doesn't car's air conditioner filter outside air? I keep the windows closed at all times and use the AC in recirculating mode if in traffic and in fresh air mode otherwise.
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 22:47   #4
BHPian

Yes they work. I have been using Blaupunkt car air purifier from 1 year now. It requires filter change periodically and the condition of old filter is enough to convince me. Unfortunately I do not have comparison photo of old vs new filter. Hyundai/Kia are offering them from long time in their Creta/Seltos twins, Kia Carnival, Sonet and MG ZS EV also get them. I would suggest Phillips, Honeywell or Blaupunkt only and not those cheap alternatives on Amazon which are actually harmful.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
Doesn't car's air conditioner filter outside air? I keep the windows closed at all times and use the AC in recirculating mode if in traffic and in fresh air mode otherwise.
The PM 2.5 particles need a better HEPA filter as they go through the ordinary paper filters unhindered.
Old 1st November 2021, 12:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could any experts weigh in regarding whether the air purifiers actually work, i.e. manage to achieve a reduction in PM levels of in-cabin air? Should an air purifier be a priority that a car buyer ought to consider?
We skip airbags and are ok to buy cars with a 0-star rating as long as they have comfort features or brag features. I am not sure what is a priority of others but I prefer safety to be on the top of the list and air quality will probably be on the bonus list of priorities(which is the last item on my priority list)

Is it a priority - No
Is it good to have - Yes
Are they effective - Debatable
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 13:50   #7
BHPian

It does work and is effective as well !!

Once we had our sunroof open and a bus ahead of us passed above sand/construction material on the road and we has a bunch of dust all over the car, we immediately closed the roof, I could see the air purifier sucking inn the particles thanks to the sunlight, it sensed an increase in AQI and switched from normal to turbo mode almost instantly.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 13:31   #8
BHPian

Do they work - Not sure, maybe reviewers can come up with some experiments which can validate it's effectiveness.
Shoud it be a deciding factor - Big NO.
Features which add to comfort or convenience can be deciding factors. But features like air filter, air purifier are just good to have features. We never know if they are actually working or just a gimmick.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 11:43   #9
BHPian

So, I've made my own PM2.5 monitor; if someone in Mumbai/Thane region with an air purifier in their car may be interested in running some tests we can do so and publish the results here.

Do in-car air purifiers work?-pm2.5.png
Venky03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:28   #10
BHPian

I have one in my car, and honest to gods, I have no clue what it does apart from eating up one cup holder.
prajwalmr62 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:32   #11
BHPian

Hello!

It's that time of the year - it's difficult to breathe outside. Looking to buy a reliable & effective air purifier for car. Any recommendations?

A quick search on Amazon shows me multiple brands, most of which appear to be Chinese with only minor differences among themselves. All of them have very mixed review. One review gave the product 4 stars but said it is not effective in Delhi's air (then why four stars??).

I much rather prefer the feedback of people here at Team BHP. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 3rd November 2023, 01:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Hello!

It's that time of the year - it's difficult to breathe outside. Looking to buy a reliable & effective air purifier for car. Any recommendations?

A quick search on Amazon shows me multiple brands, most of which appear to be Chinese with only minor differences among themselves. All of them have very mixed review. One review gave the product 4 stars but said it is not effective in Delhi's air (then why four stars??).

I much rather prefer the feedback of people here at Team BHP. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I would suggest that you buy whichever one you can buy replacement filters for as that is the crucial for effective operation and longevity
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:53   #13
BHPian

Facing a similar predicament in Delhi.

Planning to go scouting to Lajpat Nagar car accesories market to check which ones have the best after sales service.

Few pointers I have decided on:

A. Not interested in Ionizer/Ozone etc. Most of the time they are mumbo-jumbo. They risk doing more harm than good.
B. HEPA filter is a must. Nothing short of HEPA filter will work.
C. Any USB powered filter will not have the power to pump in-out enough air to clear the whole car. NOt sure even the 12Volt power outlet can power a sufficiently powerful fan, but still willing to take chances.

Happy to have more suggestions.
Old 31st January 2024, 12:03   #14
BHPian

Hello,
I have been off late getting dry eyes when i drive long distances, is there any humidifier available for car's.
Old 31st January 2024, 12:47   #15
BHPian

Yes they work. I have an air purifier built in in my Hyundai Alcazar and the AQI values are displayed all the time.

It is so easy to see the AQI values go right up as soon as I open the door in a dusty place. And then great to see the purifier reduce it back to single digits in a few minutes once the doors are closed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks