Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2007, 17:35   #1
BHPian

Pearlascent paint options

Hello all,

Three stage pearlascent paint job and "What is that?" is the question that I get from the local paintshop. Please explain in detail

1. How this stage by stage process work

2. What are the shades that are available in this pearl finish category paints and where on the web I can see them. Since its over the web, I just wnat an idea of the shade, I know it wont do just to judge the color over a monitor.

3. Place where I can procure the paint in Madras and a painter who know what he is doing.

4. Cost of the paint to do up a Lancer and how much would it cost for labor.
Old 1st June 2007, 18:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
What are the shades that are available in this pearl finish category paints and where on the web I can see them. Since its over the web, I just wnat an idea of the shade, I know it wont do just to judge the color over a monitor.
Lotsa shades available bro. Just get urself and ur painter to play some NFS underground. (LAN game can make it more interesting). He can tell you whether those colors are available and feasible to invest in or not.

I've seen the corsa sail in pearlescent color. Looked really whacky IMO. Had pink, green, blue shades all over the car and it all changes with the sun and angle of view.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st June 2007 at 18:12.
Old 1st June 2007, 18:35   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

real pearlescent colors have a certain range of equipment involved to create the effect,as far as using pearlescent shades go the three stage includes base, second and then final tint.
Old 1st June 2007, 22:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Okay so it really depends on the color shift and the shade you want. There are plenty of pre-formulated shades available from the stable of different manufacturers so you would not have to whack your head around to formulate one of your own. Its a safer bet as a starter into the world of custom painting. Because if you have to make that particular shade once more in case of a touchup, it is going to be hell to replicate it again and again.

Step 1: when custom painting your car... go through different manufactuers cars and chose your shade! You might just like a metallic shade more than a pearl shade at the end of the day.

Step 2: Once you have chosen a shade tell your paintshop the manufacterer name, model, year and name of the color. For example, 2006 Honda NSX Imola Orange (from the accord thread). Your paintshop will source the required color from the paint company (ICI, Dupont, PPG, Standox etc)

So if you end up with a pearl finish as a choice here is a brief on the three stages...

Stage I: Base Coat - Usually a Solid Color Coat which gives the final color its hue which you normally see when the car is in shade.

Stage II: Ground Coat - This is the coat with the pearlascent tinter in it which gives it the shifting effect, pearls are available in colors like red, green, gold, violet, etc which give it the shiny and shifting look.

Stage III: Top Coat - The clear coat.

Cheers and happy painting!
Old 1st June 2007, 23:58   #5
BANNED

Wow! That was truly an informative post. Thanks Arush!
Old 2nd June 2007, 00:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey OT
i have this question i want to get the corolla pearl white colour on my alto

but the colour on my RC is M Gold how do i get it change
Old 2nd June 2007, 09:21   #7
BHPian

hey that is some good info on pearlescent paints . thanks
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Arush, thanks for the tutorial.
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:23   #9
BHPian

hey arush nice job there...
u make it look really simple
i know it won't be.....
anyways thanx...
Old 2nd June 2007, 11:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Okay so it really depends on the color shift and the shade you want. There are plenty of pre-formulated shades available from the stable of different manufacturers so you would not have to whack your head around to formulate one of your own. Its a safer bet as a starter into the world of custom painting. Because if you have to make that particular shade once more in case of a touchup, it is going to be hell to replicate it again and again.

Step 1: when custom painting your car... go through different manufactuers cars and chose your shade! You might just like a metallic shade more than a pearl shade at the end of the day.

Step 2: Once you have chosen a shade tell your paintshop the manufacterer name, model, year and name of the color. For example, 2006 Honda NSX Imola Orange (from the accord thread). Your paintshop will source the required color from the paint company (ICI, Dupont, PPG, Standox etc)

So if you end up with a pearl finish as a choice here is a brief on the three stages...

Stage I: Base Coat - Usually a Solid Color Coat which gives the final color its hue which you normally see when the car is in shade.

Stage II: Ground Coat - This is the coat with the pearlascent tinter in it which gives it the shifting effect, pearls are available in colors like red, green, gold, violet, etc which give it the shiny and shifting look.

Hey Arush !!!

If it is as simple as you make it sound then why $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anyway let's see the result of "The Gypsy"
DIY.....ruin it .......come to Big Brother.....
Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 2nd June 2007 at 11:03.
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:44   #11
BHPian

Thanks a ton Arush, I shall explore Dupont sometime later and post more queries for you

Thanks again.
Old 2nd June 2007, 17:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thank arush, that was really informative.
Old 3rd June 2007, 17:32   #13
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post

Nice explaning there....
Simple yet powerful to be understood By people like me..

Thanks Arush bhai!!!
Tutions Kab challo kar rahe ho??
Can I join for the Vacation batch??
Old 24th January 2010, 16:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am in the process of getting my dad's zen repainted and I am tempted to go for a pearlescent finish. My painter quoted a figure for pearl finish paint, i.e 35k. I feel this is really high since he charges 20k for a regular paint ( Paint booth ) which is 2 coats of paint and 1 coat of laquer ( clear coat ). For a pearlescent finsh i guess i just need to add 2 extra coats of a clear paint + pearl concentrate mixture. I hope i am not wrong.

Are the pearl concentrates so costly?
What is the cost of violet pearl concentrate?
Is it available in a powder or paste form?
Lastly please suggest places in Navi Mumbai, Mumbai where i can buy the pearl concentrate.

The car is already getting stipped down and your suggestions can really help me.

P.S I am trying to get a shade closer to the midnight purple GTR
Attached Thumbnails
Pearlascent paint options-dsc01879rr9.jpg  

Old 25th January 2010, 08:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of getting my dad's zen repainted and I am tempted to go for a pearlescent finish. My painter quoted a figure for pearl finish paint, i.e 35k. I feel this is really high since he charges 20k for a regular paint ( Paint booth ) which is 2 coats of paint and 1 coat of laquer ( clear coat ). For a pearlescent finsh i guess i just need to add 2 extra coats of a clear paint + pearl concentrate mixture. I hope i am not wrong.

Are the pearl concentrates so costly?
What is the cost of violet pearl concentrate?
Is it available in a powder or paste form?
Lastly please suggest places in Navi Mumbai, Mumbai where i can buy the pearl concentrate.

The car is already getting stipped down and your suggestions can really help me.

P.S I am trying to get a shade closer to the midnight purple GTR
35k is a good price for pearl paint. It is costlier than normal paint.Price is ok if the quality of the job done be excellent.

Most Viewed