Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 14:21   #1
BHPian

Hood scoop during rains?

Hey guys, I got a hood scoop made for some free cold air flow to the filter some weeks back. Sadly, it satrted raining last week. For the time being, I've covered the scoop with a masking tape. Just wanted to know, will there be any problems if I drive with the scoop open during rains. Kindly advice.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:01   #2
BHPian

Why dont you post a couple of pics showing the scoop and placement of the air filter inside?
Old 12th June 2007, 15:18   #3
BHPian

There are possibilities of water entering from the scoop to the filter under heavy rain; you'll have to post some pics for us to check on the possibilities.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

ensure a collection area is built under the hood scoop for water to collect and drain out and not fall directly inside into your air filter. easier said than done though.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

For an intercooler a scoop is okay, even if water hits it, but for the air filter!? IF the scoop lets in air, it will let in water to your engine too. A well designed scoop, i.e. like the ones which come factory fitted will be difficult and expensive.
Old 12th June 2007, 15:55   #6
BHPian

post some pics of the install. A well designed hood scoop will not let the water seep through the vent. I guess Arush did a scoop for matt black swift and the owner said they made sure that the water wont splash on the filter when it rains.
What Jaggu said is a good design but as he said its difficult to get it done.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ensure a collection area is built under the hood scoop for water to collect and drain out and not fall directly inside into your air filter. easier said than done though.
Even I've been contemplating this for awhile now but can't think of a proper drainage system.

Where I get stuck is that in implementing a drainage system, it MAY work to some extent wrt the water that flows in upward direction on the hood at high speed. But what about the direct rainwater which may fall on the filter?

I've heard of OHC and Lancer engines seizing due to rainwater that managed to get in the Throttle Body .. and THAT'S a scary thought.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
post some pics of the install. A well designed hood scoop will not let the water seep through the vent. I guess Arush did a scoop for matt black swift and the owner said they made sure that the water wont splash on the filter when it rains.
What Jaggu said is a good design but as he said its difficult to get it done.
I wish. But most of the scoops, even the ones by some of the best designers and tuners in Mumbai are not 100% waterproof. I've enquired with almost all of them and most of them have just said that the best thing to do is not drive during heavy rains . The only other option is to cover it with a masking tape. When the car is stationary (parked), there's no danger of water entering the scoop. But when the car is moving, it's something you can't control. Cause, the rain's never fall straight, they're always a little slanted.
Old 12th June 2007, 20:09   #9
BHPian

i am gonna get a scoop after the rains
what about the filter getting clogged too soon is that something to worry about?
Old 12th June 2007, 20:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a Baleno with a scoop(mesh grill) which had a metal plate beneath for diverting the water away from the filter but it looked very bad...
Old 12th June 2007, 21:02   #11
BHPian

Does the rain water matter in first place? I have seen water service station guys spary water in high force in engine bay (I never asked for it). And the car just starts after that!!!
Old 12th June 2007, 21:06   #12
BHPian

my friend has an open scoop on his huyndai accent the exact same design as the EVO he has a typhoon and has a vent to prevent water from coming near the filter, so far he has had no problems. I will post pics of the accent hood soon.
Old 12th June 2007, 22:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Does the rain water matter in first place? I have seen water service station guys spary water in high force in engine bay (I never asked for it). And the car just starts after that!!!
for an after market exposed air filter it does matter, if its stock filter in a proper air box then maybe not
Old 12th June 2007, 23:35   #14
BHPian

Atleast for modern cars with lots of electronics built around engine, they do not suggest water wash in engine bay. they do clean it with pressurised air. yes washing engine bay with forced water is okay with older diesel cars (they used to do it for my tata estate and no problems what so ever)
Old 13th June 2007, 01:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
If you have a conical filter and they spray water with a high force, your filter's done for!
The manufacturers clearly warn against the filters being cleaned with compressed air/water. I ensure my mechanic knows that the filter needs to be covered up with a plastic before he goes wild with his hose and spray!

OE replacement filters should not be much of a problem, since they are much more protected.

And to answer your first question: yes, a sizeable volume of water (which may accumulate because of the scoop) can cause a conical filter to suck in water, causing the engine to seize.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks