Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 11:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Do dashcams void the car's warranty?

So my 2020 Creta's battery conked off recently and when I took it to the service centre, they cautioned me against leaving the dash cam plugged in all the time.
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 02:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
So my 2020 Creta's battery conked off recently and when I took it to the service centre, they cautioned me against leaving the dash cam plugged in all the time.
Hello,

Did you hard-wire it or used it by the cigarette lighter socket? If the lighter socket, than you need to check if it draws any current even after you turn off the car? In some cars the lighter socket gets current even after we have locked it.

If hard-wired, check for the connections again. Hard-wiring kit is meant to cut off the current some time after the vehicle is locked.

But yes, for parking mode, it powers on. If your car is parked in the open, then it might have used the current if someone tried to shake the vehicle a little hard. Could be kids or dogs/monkeys jumping on the car.
Old 19th April 2022, 14:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hello,

Did you hard-wire it or used it by the cigarette lighter socket? If the lighter socket, than you need to check if it draws any current even after you turn off the car? In some cars the lighter socket gets current even after we have locked it.
I used both. Mine had a rear camera module, which I ended up using in the front with power from the battery (hard-wired) while the main in-car dashcam was plugged into the 12V socket. I am not sure if these continue drawing power when my car is turned off.

From what I understand the OEM Hyundai battery is not capable of supporting these (especially plugged in overnight) - for now, I have removed everything from power. The only use I am getting of the dashcam is a visual deterrent.

I am considering using the dashcam without the front camera module (was actually quite useful while parking) and removing the plug from 12V socket while parking - after my OEM battery has recovered a bit.
Old 19th April 2022, 14:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

In addition to checking whether the 12V and in-console USB ports are permanently live (via battery) or via ignition, please also check if they're powered on-demand.

E.g. the 12V socket on my car is via ignition, but the in-console USB port is live. I'd plugged in the dashcam into the USB port without realizing that, as the dashcam used to turn off when the car shut down, so I assumed it's via ignition too. Found out otherwise one day when I had to go back to the car to get something out of the glovebox, and the door open/close triggered the security/emergency recording mode on the dashcam.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th April 2022 at 14:42. Reason: a word
Old 20th April 2022, 08:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Creta cigarette lighter doesn't draw power once the ignition is OFF. But Ford used to. My dashcam is permanently plugged in the 12v socket for couple of years now.
Old 20th April 2022, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Creta cigarette lighter doesn't draw power once the ignition is OFF. But Ford used to. My dashcam is permanently plugged in the 12v socket for couple of years now.
Oh then it might have been the front camera module then
Old 11th August 2022, 08:18   #22

While the entire thread has focussed on the impact of warranty basis the hardwiring of the dashcam, one more important factor to consider is insurance claims.

Will hardwiring the dashcam result in insurance claims being rejected due to fire damage caused by shot circuit or similar electrical issues?

I had a case in known circle where entire car (Hyundai i20) got burnt due to electrical shot circuit and it was case of total damage. Insurance rejected the claim on the basis of after market headlights that were installed on the car and were probably of a different wattage than what the OEM headlight came with.

I am still in a dillema whether to go with hardwiring for installing dashcam for my one year old Verna. I would still want to have the dashcam record things while being parked but the cons of hardwiring are preventing me to do so.
Old 11th August 2022, 20:31   #23
BHPian

I believe you can add the accessories under insurance with added premium. So if anything happens to car due to that accessory they can't reject the claim.

I'm not 100% sure on this, you can check with your insurance company.

If hardwiring is done properly then I believe there won't be any issues. I've done it myself on my car. It's been more than 2.5 years now, no issues at all.
Old 26th September 2022, 22:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I'd like to share that Mahindra dealerships in two different cities confirmed that hardwiring dashcams will not void warranty. Even if fitted from outside. Their only point was to use fusetaps and not splice any wire. Also not to tinker with any fuses of importance.
Hello, I recently bought an XUV300 and the accessories fitment person at my dealership was uncooperative regarding hardwiring the dashcam. I finally got them to conceal the wiring behind the trims and get the fusetaps into the fusebox and the power outlet at the intended location. They didn't want to connect the fusetaps to the car though Can you let me know if one of the dealerships you mentioned is in Bangalore? And if so, which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I was happy he did, saved me a ton of time and didn't have to tinker with it too much. Also, the XUV300 comes with a lot of spare fuses which actually draw current. So my fusetaps are essentially on empty slots.
Can you share which fuses you used for ACC, VCC(gives power even when off) etc., and where you connected the ground cable? (instructions online claim that a metal bolt connected to the chassis will do the job, but I'm not sure if there is a better way)

Here are the fusebox layout diagrams from the owner's manual to help identify them by name:

Do dashcams void the car's warranty?-xuv300fusebox.png

Do dashcams void the car's warranty?-xuv300fuseboxcolor.png

Last edited by ventoAsFirstCar : 26th September 2022 at 22:56.
Old 27th September 2022, 19:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoAsFirstCar View Post

Can you share which fuses you used for ACC, VCC(gives power even when off) etc., and where you connected the ground cable? (instructions online claim that a metal bolt connected to the chassis will do the job, but I'm not sure if there is a better way)
Attachment 2362115

I recently installed and hardwired DDPAI Z50 on my XUV 300 (W8 Petrol variant) and used FS5 (Room Lamp) for VCC and FS25 (Spare) for ACC. The ground wire was attached to a bolt on the body frame near the door (try it on a few bolts near the fuse box to check which one completes the circuit and works best for you).

Last edited by RahulC : 27th September 2022 at 19:58.
RahulC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 22:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulC View Post
used FS5 (Room Lamp) for VCC and FS25 (Spare) for ACC. The ground wire was attached to a bolt on the body frame near the door (try it on a few bolts near the fuse box to check which one completes the circuit and works best for you).
Thanks for the info! I bought a Wolfbox mirror dash cam after ensuring that they have good reviews on the Amazon USA site. When I tested it with the car stationary, it captured video with good quality on both cameras and there were no issues. Will have to take it on a long drive later to see if it is really worth it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks