Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 15:50   #1
BHPian

How often to wax?

There seems to be some disagreement as to how often one should apply wax.

Formula1 claims their wax protects for 12 months:
Formula 1 - Carnauba Wax

But that seems like a long time.

So,

1. How often do you/should you re-apply wax?

2. Do need to/should you remove the previous coating of wax down to the bare paint before rewaxing? If so, how? After all, the car wash shampoos claim to not remove wax.

And I don't think you want to use Vim.

3. After the car has been waxed, what do you do the next day when there's a fine layer of dust on it? Most everybody from taxi driver on up in India takes a dry cloth to the car.

Doesn't this contribute to hairline/other scratches?

Last edited by aah78 : 14th June 2007 at 20:32. Reason: size tags removed
Old 14th June 2007, 16:06   #2
BHPian

I wax my car every month. I use either Turtle or Formula 1and I do not remove the previous layer. I park my car in the open so with time and regular washing the layer of wax gradually disappears. Every month I throughly wash the car with Sonax car wash and apply the wax . Also i do not recommend to wipe the fine layer of dust cos this causes fine scratches so I wash the car with water. Some people recommend the use of fine brushes/dusters.
Old 14th June 2007, 16:24   #3
BHPian

I use Formula 1 Carnauba Wax once in a month.

I wash the car with Sonax Car wash shampoo with sponge,rinse with running water and dry the surface.After that I apply the wax.Normally I do it in the morning hours and is done at my basement car park.I leave the car as it is after wiping the wax off.If I take the car out on the same day, I insist my person who regularly washes it, to wash it all over, once I return.
Old 14th June 2007, 17:30   #4
BHPian

Washing and waxing your car regularly helps, Wax helps in protecting the paint from fading; plus the car looks shiny. I wax my car twice a month. A High quality car wax stays on the car for about two months, but with the weather conditions, dust and bird's dropping etc, I end up washing the car everyday, so I need to wax the car twice a month.

So far, I haven't seen a single car wax product that stays for more than a year. In order to maintain protective coat any product needs to be reapplied periodically.

I use SONAX Extreme Active Shampoo, Carnauba Cleaner Wax and Turtle Wax Gloss Detailer.

Also check this thread by Rudra, Great article.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-clean-16.html

Last edited by Hellcat : 14th June 2007 at 17:38.
Old 14th June 2007, 17:40   #5

Abiliash, You car is seriuosly shining like new one. Me too wax the car once , I have been using the sonax wax, But in my place as it is dusty i find it is eaiser to find a coat of dust on the car after waxing. Some how i feel like the wax is attacting more dust on to the car. By the way, I havent cleared the previous wax. Once i got it wax polished from Green Tracks near the silk board jucntion in houser road (before the brige) It was seriuosly a excellent work.. but they charged 650 for that
Old 14th June 2007, 18:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

uhh... once a month, twice a month!!! I think you guys are overdoing it people. Too frequent applications can actually kill the luster of the paint after a couple of years. In fact I think the most recommended practice is once every 4-6 months. 4 month is probably ok under Indian conditions. That is what most people including even the showroom folks suggest.
Old 14th June 2007, 18:27   #7
BHPian

As soon as the hair grows back. Specially in the armpits, otherwise it starts stinking.

Last edited by adman77 : 14th June 2007 at 18:29.
Old 14th June 2007, 19:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Once in 6 months should do. Important to remember that there is some after wax care that should be taken to keep the gleam, else you might start waxing every week.
Old 14th June 2007, 20:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
uhh... once a month, twice a month!!! I think you guys are overdoing it people. Too frequent applications can actually kill the luster of the paint after a couple of years. In fact I think the most recommended practice is once every 4-6 months. 4 month is probably ok under Indian conditions. That is what most people including even the showroom folks suggest.
OK, so how do you keep it looking good in the meantime? (sincere question)
And what's your opinion about taking a dry cloth to the vehicle like taxi-wallah's do every day?
Old 14th June 2007, 20:31   #10
BHPian

I think we need to change the topic here.

How often to wax?
Old 14th June 2007, 20:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
As soon as the hair grows back. Specially in the armpits, otherwise it starts stinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlather View Post
I think we need to change the topic here.

How often to wax?

On a serious note,

I have been using Amway Silicon glaze for car and bike, and it does a good job of keeping the shine as it is. Now how often should i polish with it?

Any other users?
Old 14th June 2007, 22:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

On a serious note,

I have been using Amway Silicon glaze for car and bike, and it does a good job of keeping the shine as it is. Now how often should i polish with it?

Any other users?
i think it's a polish (that removes a part of paint everytime you apply it, to make it shine. and not a coating (wax).

after a few application, you will lose your paint
Old 14th June 2007, 23:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
OK, so how do you keep it looking good in the meantime? (sincere question)
And what's your opinion about taking a dry cloth to the vehicle like taxi-wallah's do every day?
Actually once you have done a good job of it and do not wash it with lot of scrubbing it lasts a good while. In the meantime something like a california duster helps. you can sweep all the loose dust particles from the body of the car without any scrubbing.

Opinion about cloth therapy? well, the cabbies are something different. they just take any cloth that they find handy. that probably works with their non-metallic whites. however for personal cars (with mettallic colors) I think a good idea is to keep those soft chamois type of cloth. Use that in dusting the car. Its soft enough to not cause any damage. Its a good idea to change the cloth every month. Typically you get them on all traffic signals for Rs10 a piece.
Old 15th June 2007, 00:13   #14
BHPian

allrite can some of guys do us all a favour KINDLY PLEASE!
Next time you guys do wash and wax your car do post pics of the procedure, how to apply and the final outcome.

can turn out to be a sweat thread also who knows mods might make you a distinguished member for doing so much!

cheers
Old 15th June 2007, 00:18   #15
BHPian

doing it once a month is a bit too much. not more than 4 times a year even for indian conditions IMO. also a good quality synthetic wax stays on the car longer. good if you can use a clay bar on the car before waxing, will remove lot of dirt invisible to the eye.

Most Viewed