Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2022, 12:43   #16
BHPian

re: Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more

Coming Back to the story;

On 8th June, 2020 we get a message on the Cedians United group that was quite shocking and exciting. A member was giving away his car for FREE. Yes guys for FREEEEE.
Whoever is ready to pick up the car the very next day can take the car for free. But this 'give away' came with a condition. The car will not come with papers, number plate or any transferable document. He wanted to give it away as parts car. The car was in Pune.

I was 7 mins late in seeing the message. But luckily my friend (whom I consulted while buying the car) had already spoken to the BIG HEARTED guy. So without wasting even a single minute I called up my friend and booked the front & rear skirts.

My friend got the car for free but he had to get it transported from Pune to his place, that's around 800 kms. This was during the lockdown. Inter-state travelling wasn't easy. He still managed to get it on flatbed truck and transported it to his place. There was a decent cost involved in transporting and then later dismantling the car.

Hence, I offered him a decent amount for the skirts.

Note that the skirts were bought in June 2020. Now that I had the skirts and the Spoiler with me, it was time for me to act like a LAZY COW . Technically I should have installed them within a week but these parts were kept at my factory for more than 1.5 years before I finally decided to install them in 2022.

We will come to that part of the story in the later posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-img20200609wa0007.jpg  

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-img20200621wa0010.jpg  

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-img20200621wa0011.jpg  

Jassy1313 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 13:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more

Must commend you buying a Cedia and maintaining and modifying it, if it's not a problem can you tell us how much you paid for it?! Since your thread ends above with a person giving his Cedia for "free" as a donor vehicle...Mitsubishi is done and dusted, it sold very little numbers: between Apr 2018 and Jan 2019 they sold a total of 164 cars!! Last car they sold was in Jan 2020 a Pajero Sport.
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 00:46   #18
BHPian

Re: Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Must commend you buying a Cedia and maintaining and modifying it, if it's not a problem can you tell us how much you paid for it?! Since your thread ends above with a person giving his Cedia for "free" as a donor vehicle...Mitsubishi is done and dusted, it sold very little numbers: between Apr 2018 and Jan 2019 they sold a total of 164 cars!! Last car they sold was in Jan 2020 a Pajero Sport.
So as I mentioned before, I got the bodykit from a FREE donor car but there was still some cost involved in transporting and dismantling the car. So I couldn't ask for free parts.

When I called up my friend to block the bodykit for me, I offered him 9k upfront. I wanted those at any cost. Those were OEM skirts hence I was OK with the price (quoted by me, of course).

And like you said Mitsubishi is done and dusted, no way I could have gotten these in such good condition and at that price. 😉
Jassy1313 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 01:41   #19
BHPian

Re: Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more

That was a good read. Now don't keep us hanging, show us the pics of the car with the side skirts and spoilers installed.
Btw you mentioned the price of the sideskirts, but the swap of steering wheel and tyres was free?

Last edited by sandhyab : 9th May 2022 at 01:43.
sandhyab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:14   #20
BHPian

Cool bro. Keep writing. Waiting for more pics.
Old 9th May 2022, 10:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
That was a good read. Now don't keep us hanging, show us the pics of the car with the side skirts and spoilers installed.
Btw you mentioned the price of the side skirts, but the swap of steering wheel and tyres was free?
Thank you for your appreciation.

I will be updating the post daily till the timeline reaches the current date.

I paid for the front & rear skirts. The side skirts came with the car as factory accessories.

Momo Steering Wheel and OZ alloys were a direct swap deal with a friend. Infant, he liked my previous steering wheel and Enkei (stock alloys). According to him, they looked better in the car. A win-win situation for both.
Jassy1313 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:59   #22
BHPian

Your post on maintaining such a classic beauty is just so inspiring, like you even I have been trying to keep my Chevrolet Aveo in top shape even after 16 years. Your post just motivates me even more to keep the car in top shape just like you have kept your Cedia. I must say your persistence on acquiring the sports kit is commendable.
Hope to read more about your car soon…..
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W16rocks View Post
Your post on maintaining such a classic beauty is just so inspiring, like you even I have been trying to keep my Chevrolet Aveo in top shape even after 16 years. Your post just motivates me even more to keep the car in top shape just like you have kept your Cedia. I must say your persistence on acquiring the sports kit is commendable.
Hope to read more about your car soon…..
Thank you so much for the kind words.
I hope to see a thread on your Aveo someday soon.
Jassy1313 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:29   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nice to see you pour so much effort into this beauty. Even today, it's quite a looker. It's from an era when cars still tried to look like cars instead of laptops/drones/spaceships/eggs.

This thread makes me want to go out and buy a Pajero Sport AT. Though I am still unsure on the maintenance bit.
vredesbyrd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 16:28   #25
BHPian

Awesome Thread and awesome luck getting the spare car! I have a Cedia Select, with a lot of stories around it.
I don't think there is any car which I like to drive more than this. Although the Pajero Sport comes very very close.

Also, over the years I managed to get one person in Bhopal who manages to source all kind of spares for the same. Let me know if you get stick any where
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post

Also, over the years I managed to get one person in Bhopal who manages to source all kind of spares for the same. Let me know if you get stick any where
Isnt that the same guy who sells broken/defective/junk over priced parts to unsuspecting cedia/mitsubhi owners?

I know of several owners in south India who have got broke/defective /junk items and sometimes paid 2x-3x the price!
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:09   #27
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Cedia "Sports Basic" to "Sports Advance" and lots more

Kudos to you (and the entire Cedians United) for passionately keeping alive one of the exciting machines of the time.

Looking forward to more of your ownership updates.
Old 9th May 2022, 19:12   #28
BHPian

Thank you guys for the love and support.

Let's continue with the story.

As you must be aware that I faced some problems with the brake system in the past.
After the repair job was performed on the car things were going well for some time. But I was still wasn't completely satisfied with the work.

So on 29th October 2020 My dad, brother and I decided to restore the front brake assembly. It was going to be a Semi-DIY job. My mechanic will dismantle and re-fit the parts while we will do the restoration.

So we started with the job.

We removed the assembly and it was covered with rust. Rusted components were obstructing the movement of the Pistons. This time I was well prepared. I ordered the brake repair kit well in advance.

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-1.jpeg

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-2.jpeg

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-3.jpeg

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-4.2.jpeg

You can see the amount of rust on the inner side of the calipers. Imagine all this was polluting the brake oil too.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-4.jpeg

Look at the rusted piston. How will it function well in such condition?
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-5.jpeg

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-6.jpeg

We decided to clean it with brush before sandblasting the calipers.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-7.jpeg

You can see the condition of the seal too.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-8.jpeg

If we talk about the pins, only 1 pin had a grove(step) in it. Technically out of 4 pins 2 pins should have groves and 2 shouldn't. In my case, only one pin had a grove so we decided to make a grove in the second pin via machining.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-9.jpeg

Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-11.jpeg

Post machining.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-12.jpeg

Piston polishing/cleaning. We made sure we maintain the original size of the piston. Too much polishing results in size change. So we were very careful while doing it.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-13.jpeg

After cleaning/polishing.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-14.jpeg

Time to sandblast the calipers with very fine sand.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-15.jpeg

Results of Sandblasting.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-16.jpeg
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-17.jpeg
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-18.jpeg

Packed and ready to take it back to the garage.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-19.jpeg

My Mechanic was shocked to see the final results. He couldn't believe those were the same calipers. He kept asking me if they were the same caliper or brand new. lol
He refitted the entire assembly with the new Seal kit.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-20.jpeg
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-21.jpeg

Meanwhile, I decided to dismantle the Master cylinder and overhaul it.
Rejuvenating a Mitsubishi Cedia | Additional equipment, parts, maintenance & more-22.jpeg

Now the brake system was completely overhauled. The rear calipers were luckily fine so we decided not to do anything to them. With new oil and some bleeding to remove air from the system, the car was ready to roll again.

If we talk about the cost involved:
Labour to Mechanic - 1200/-
Seal Kit - 2500/-
Brake oil - At actuals (I don't remember)
Restoration - In-house.

It's mid-2022 and the car is braking absolutely fine. Even the brake oil is crystal clear.

Last edited by Jassy1313 : 9th May 2022 at 19:31.
Jassy1313 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Isnt that the same guy who sells broken/defective/junk over priced parts to unsuspecting cedia/mitsubhi owners?

I know of several owners in south India who have got broke/defective /junk items and sometimes paid 2x-3x the price!
Nope, went through those as well. So long story short, I managed to turn cedia turtle in Satpura, MP. This was when there was no real authorised dealer left in Pune, around 2016...

Drove it back in the same condition from MP to pune and got it screwed up by a local garage. Was scourging OLX for a couple of spares and landed upon him back in 2019.

He has so far always given either OEM or if Non OEM, was upfront about it.

In the meanwhile got a pre owned Pajero Sport as well and got a lot of OEM spares as well from him. Finally Met him last month and dude's a big mitsubishi fan. He has some 4 Cedias, 3 Lancers an outlander and a GLX PAJERO, along with a tattoo of Mitsubishi

So far have got only good stuff from him. His name is Aritro Ganguly...have my share of others selling crap stuff as well.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy1313 View Post
So as I mentioned before, I got the bodykit from a FREE donor car but there was still some cost involved in transporting and dismantling the car. So I couldn't ask for free parts.

When I called up my friend to block the bodykit for me, I offered him 9k upfront. I wanted those at any cost. Those were OEM skirts hence I was OK with the price (quoted by me, of course).

And like you said Mitsubishi is done and dusted, no way I could have gotten these in such good condition and at that price. 😉
I meant how much did you pay for the Cedia, not for the body kit, that is only if you don't mind revealing the price. Thank you.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks