Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2022, 20:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions to avoid knee pain while driving

Resting the right leg against the door can obstruct operating the A/B pedals. In some emergency situations, you may not be able to quickly move the feet to slam the brake. You may also develop pains in the ankle, knee joint and hip joints in the long run.
If you are doing this because of the lack of under-thigh support, you may look at getting the seat modified a bit (again, this has to be done with great care).
Old 15th May 2022, 11:40   #17
BHPian

Try using a knee sleeve. I am 186 cm and north of 90 kilos. I drive long distances - Trivandrum <-> Chennai - regularly. My knee pain used to kick in after a few hours into the journey. Wearing a well fitting knee sleeve removed 99% of the pain immediately. Of course, the other inputs like taking frequent breaks and walking around / pushing the seat back and up, are all valid but for me this was the game changer. Hope it helps. Dropping a link for the product I use currently.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...TF8&th=1&psc=1

They have multiple sizes to choose from. Key to pick the right one. Good luck!
Arun Varma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 07:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
It usually takes about a couple of hours before the area gets sore. I think it is because I rest the side of my knee against the door. I even did a control experiment where I consciously avoided manspreading and the pain disappeared.

I will try out your suggestion about going the opposite way or trying a different seat alignment. Thanks.
I used to have a similar problem.
I now consciously drive without resting on the door. In the period between, I used to stuff a pillow between the door and the thigh which prevented my leg from going sideways. The third option is to get some additional thigh support.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Varma View Post
Try using a knee sleeve. I am 186 cm and north of 90 kilos. I drive long distances - Trivandrum <-> Chennai - regularly. My knee pain used to kick in after a few hours into the journey. Wearing a well fitting knee sleeve removed 99% of the pain immediately. Of course, the other inputs like taking frequent breaks and walking around / pushing the seat back and up, are all valid but for me this was the game changer. Hope it helps. Dropping a link for the product I use currently.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...TF8&th=1&psc=1

They have multiple sizes to choose from. Key to pick the right one. Good luck!
Hi Arun, does this help for shorter commutes too? I had a terrible time a few days back for a short 6 km commute which took an hour and 20 minutes thanks to water logging on the roads and the ongoing metro construction! I had it when I reached home and my left knee was aching like crazy due to the heavy clutch pedal input. Can hear my left knee 'clicking' or popping if I fold it in and out after brief pauses which doesn't happen with the right knee.

I really don't mind wearing one before starting off from my workplace!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th May 2022 at 12:07. Reason: Typo.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I had it when I reached home and my left knee was aching like crazy due to the heavy clutch pedal input. Can her my left knee 'clicking' or popping if I fold it in and out after brief pauses which doesn't happen with the right knee.
Clicking and popping are likely caused by repeated stress on the joint. Would recommend that you see a doctor in this regard. It might first need a period of rest, and then some measures to ensure that the knee does not undergo stress while driving. This could include some exercises to strengthen the relevant muscles, changes in driving position etc.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical practitioner.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 14:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
does this help for shorter commutes too?
I used to wear knee support when going to the office when I had a knee injury and it helped a lot for the drive. For minor pains, the simple ones available from the neighborhood medical shop would suffice. Check out Decathlon if you want more options or don't find proper fitting ones elsewhere.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 14:54   #22
BHPian

I'm 6ft3in and experience similar knee pain on both my legs. I'm absolutely sure that it's driving position for me but I'm not exactly sure what I should do to alleviate the issue. I'm driving a SX4 at the most pushed back and highest position.

I'm probably not doing my knees any favours and at this rate, I'll have to be chauffeur driven
Old 21st May 2022, 07:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun, does this help for shorter commutes too? I had a terrible time a few days back for a short 6 km commute which took an hour and 20 minutes thanks to water logging on the roads and the ongoing metro construction! I had it when I reached home and my left knee was aching like crazy due to the heavy clutch pedal input. Can hear my left knee 'clicking' or popping if I fold it in and out after brief pauses which doesn't happen with the right knee.

I really don't mind wearing one before starting off from my workplace!
I think it can, Gannu! Make sure that the sleeve is a right fit.

My physiotherapist explained that the wrap helps hold the patella in place and in alignment and provide more in line stability during repetitive movements.

He also explained that for people who spend a lot of time in a particular position, at a desk for example (I am one), we don't pay attention to how our feet are aligned vis-a-vis our knee and hip, and over time, this leads to misalignment and weaknesses can develop in certain positions which, when we apply repetitive or sustained stress in a different direction, can cause pain.

As others have suggested, if this doesn't provide relief quickly or if it causes additional discomfort, better to seek professional help but I suspect it will help.
Arun Varma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 11:38   #24
BHPian

I think you need to adjust your seating position first, before trying any pads or braces.

Try raising your seat so that, when your legs are relaxed, they still rest on the seat rather than the door pad. If in this process the steering is a bit far, use the telescopic adjustment for a comfortable driving position.
Old 6th February 2023, 23:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize that this would be a factor. I thought I would be pivoting on my ankle, but your post makes me wonder if I actually do use my knee.
Hi, I believe your knee pain does not exist anymore, could you please share what worked.
Old 7th February 2023, 08:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark water View Post
Hi, I believe your knee pain does not exist anymore, could you please share what worked.
I didnt use the knee brace much. I changed my seat position a bit, was more conscious of where I rested my knee, and I did my stretches at rest-stops -> this has contributed a lot to the reduction in pain
hajaar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed