Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2023, 10:21   #16
ais
BHPian

Re: Installed! Bilstein B12 suspension kit on my VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabareesh10 View Post
Appreciate the super detailed reply ais! Thank you!

But the more I read, the more I realise that I'm out of my depth technically here to make the right calls and identify issues. So I think I'm going to stick to the stock shocks and springs!
So finally I've figured out how to install the B12s correctly. The stop surface of the OEM ball bearing should rest on the stop surface of the piston rod where the pin thread ends. The plastic spacer originally installed in the OEM won't work because it cannot be ground, but another OEM spacer is easily available at VW store for about Rs.300/-. It needs to be ground as follows (1 is after grinding, 2 is as it comes)-

Installed! Bilstein B12 suspension kit on my VW Polo-img20230211wa0003.jpg

Installed! Bilstein B12 suspension kit on my VW Polo-img20230211wa0004.jpg

Here are the videos explaining the point-

This is the correct Pass Through Socket for the torque wrench to tighten the top bolts without letting the piston rod turn while torquing the nuts (top nut and stop nut holding the strut to car).

Installed! Bilstein B12 suspension kit on my VW Polo-20230214_094218.jpg

Installed! Bilstein B12 suspension kit on my VW Polo-20230214_094152.jpg

Installed! Bilstein B12 suspension kit on my VW Polo-20230214_094112.jpg

K S Motors now has the full knowhow and the equipment to carry out the job.

The car is driving perfectly now, and with correct installation, the feel has changed completely. Since the load is now on the top mounting bush, whereas earlier it was on the aluminum spacer supplied by Bilstein or on the OEM plastic spacer, there in no vibration, sound etc that were manifesting earlier. The minor road surface undulations are taken care of superbly and I love that feel similar to aircraft turbulence. The expansion joints, potholes and major undulations are dealt with immaculately. This suspension is dead quiet. The ride still feels 'busy' as it should in a sports car, and it's way more comfortable as there is no rebound or roll as in the OEM suspension. Totally engaging to drive. Since I had reinstalled the OEM suspension as an interim measure until I figured out the exact way in communication with Bilstein Germany and other installers, I can tell that the difference is chalk and cheese. Anyone contemplating B12 can now go for it with full confidence and I'll guide all along.

I've also installed a Whiteline rear sway bar sourced from and installed by K S Motorsport. Its just been one drive over the Sea Link, but its looking like I won't miss my BMW F30 330i that had B6 and Beyern alloys+Michelin PS4s at all. The understeer seems gone (I have yet to ascertain fully, as there was traffic on the Sea Link entry- the only twisties that exist in Aamchi Mumbai). Regular turns are on a dime and agility is akin to a jet fighter! Can't wait for that planned trip from Mumbai to Mcleodganj and back in March

Last edited by ais : 14th February 2023 at 10:31.
ais is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 21:50   #17
ais
BHPian

Here's what a sharp turn under acceleration is like with the B12 and Whiteline Sway Bar at stiffest setting! Leave aside understeer, this is bordering on oversteer and feels like the rear wants to slide, but I can't try that in Mumbai! By the way, this curve is on Sion-Bandra road at Kalanagar, turning left to join Western Express Highway. When the left turn green signal is on, there is no traffic coming from the right, so it's quite safe to push it here (after double checking for stray red signal jumpers). The turn is more than 90° and short, so a nice one to test the car's feel.

I've deliberately taken a larger arc by going straight, then turning left to make the steer more prominent.

Music courtesy- James Blunt- Some Kind of Beautiful. Good timing too- "I feel like a star when we do it like this"!!!

Last edited by ais : 22nd November 2023 at 21:53.
Old 23rd November 2023, 19:15   #18
ais
BHPian

And rear camera view of the same turn today while accelerating! This is addictive.

ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 22:26   #19
BHPian

This is some awesome stuff! I don't see any info on any VW Virtus with suspension mods. Is there a Bilstein model that is compatible?
neoakshay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 06:49   #20
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakshay View Post
This is some awesome stuff! I don't see any info on any VW Virtus with suspension mods. Is there a Bilstein model that is compatible?
Should be available. Please check with KS Motors.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks