Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 23:03   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Thar - Seat comfort mods

I'm a hefty fellow that has a New Thar. Needless to say, the bucket seat in the Thar isn't really for a plus-sizer and while it's not too bad, I just feel it could be a bit more comfortable. The primary problem being the side of the seat cushion being raised too much.

Before I consider changing the seat or losing weight, is there a simpler solution?

1. Are products such as these : https://www.amazon.in/GiGi-G-1586A-M.../dp/B07JZ113FY : worth it ? Or do they cause long term harm to the back?

2. I could try with a simple regular pillow or a folded bedsheet to make the seat flatter, but again not sure what long term impact on the body.

3. Should I just go for a seat change?
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 23:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Seat comfort mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The primary problem being the side of the seat cushion being raised too much
If this is the only concern, I suggest to try for a while with what ever aftermarket solution you posted and modify the OE seats with preferred contour and height by adding additional foam and redoing the cover. Any upholstery shop should be able to perform this modification.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 23:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The primary problem being the side of the seat cushion being raised too much.
Are you talking about the sides of the sitting area or on the backrest?
If it is the former, those paddings are very weak and would lose their shape in some time. When I went to get my seat cover done, the guy replaced the foam in that area with better quality material so that it retains the shape. Same way you can opt for replacing that part with flatter padding if you prefer. Just go to a good upholster and make sure they use good quality material.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 07:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Are you talking about the sides of the sitting area or on the backrest?
If it is the former, those paddings are very weak and would lose their shape in some time. When I went to get my seat cover done, the guy replaced the foam in that area with better quality material so that it retains the shape. Same way you can opt for replacing that part with flatter padding if you prefer. Just go to a good upholster and make sure they use good quality material.
Yes it's the sitting area padding. Sooner or later I would get the seats redone too. Biding my time
Old 27th July 2022, 07:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a hefty fellow that has a New Thar. Needless to say, the bucket seat in the Thar...

3. Should I just go for a seat change?
The Thar is a pretty wide car. The most ideal, comfortable and cheaper solution for you would be to get used seats of a luxury sedan/suv and retrofit them into the Thar.

Will cost you ~25-30k but you will get some sexy luxury seats, with electric/memory settings, pure leather and what not.

In Coimbatore, Ukkadam market is a right place to purchase.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 12:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
*SNIP*

Will cost you ~25-30k but you will get some sexy luxury seats, with electric/memory settings, pure leather and what not.
*SNIP*
Wouldn't you need to fiddle with the wiring to enable this?

Cheers
Old 27th July 2022, 12:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Wouldn't you need to fiddle with the wiring to enable this?

Cheers
Yes you will need to. You need to get a power source for seats, just like adding a 12v out. That shouldnt be a big issue.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:52   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar - Seat comfort mods

Lose weight, bud. 100 more benefits than just being more comfortable while driving.

Before you swap seats, you can try visiting a seat upholstery expert and having him re-do the driver's seat (only) first. So, you can always compare to the stock passenger seat and keep improving. I have rebuilt my Jeep's seats thrice in the after-market to very satisfactory results. Just look for an experienced vendor who understands seat support & cushioning.

Don't keep the compound too soft. Medium (leaning on firmer side) is better for support IMHO.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 15:49   #9
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar - Seat comfort mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lose weight, bud. 100 more benefits than just being more comfortable while driving.

Before you swap seats, you can try visiting a seat upholstery expert and having him re-do the driver's seat (only) first. So, you can always compare to the stock passenger seat and keep improving. I have rebuilt my Jeep's seats thrice in the after-market to very satisfactory results. Just look for an experienced vendor who understands seat support & cushioning.

Don't keep the compound too soft. Medium (leaning on firmer side) is better for support IMHO.
+1 on this. Getting into shape and following a healthy lifestyle definitely has it's own benefits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks