Team-BHP - Lancer overhaul - Project Phoenix
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Lancer overhaul - Project Phoenix (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/25488-lancer-overhaul-project-phoenix.html)

Got myself a second-hand 2000 Lancer GLXi in good condition, and dirt cheap. So thought of fulfilling my Chip Foose aspirations and overhaul the lady completely.
Why "Phoenix"? Well, I'm sure all of you know that a Phoenix is a bird that is reborn from its ashes. While my Lancer isn't in ashes exactly, it is undergoing some heavy restoration and modification. And Phoenix sounds better than revived or restored or whatever!!

The objective of this project was to have a car that was not too flashy, yet stood out in the crowd... not an OTT performance beast, but fast enough to stay ahead of the pack. Most importantly, it needs to be an everyday city car.

It's been over 2 months that I've gotten into this project, and I think I can honestly say that I am an obsessed man :)
One day it's performance, the other day it's tyres, then ICE, then body kits...etc, etc, etc. And let me tell you, Team-BHP does not help! I keep stumbling upon some info everyday that fuels a new desire in me.
The amount of research I have done for this project is insane. I have learnt a LOT, and continue doing so each day. I have had to work my a** off to get things done, but I'm doing it because I want to, and this is my passion. I guess you can call this a labour of love, and I hope the end-result will be sweet.
There have been some extremely challenging and frustrating times that I have faced. Dealing with the inefficient HM A.S.S (no puns intended?) was an inauspicious start, but I got things done in the end. There were others, and no doubt there will be more, but I hope to overcome these :)

The work is being done in two places:
1. The engine has been sent to Mumbai, where it is being overhauled and modded by Viper Performance.
2. The body work, kits, painting, upholstery, ICE etc are being done locally in Glix (aka AV Designs).

I will give details of the mods soon, along with pics.
For now, here are some pics to the work in progress (body work) with some of the goodies that have already been purchased:
Picasa Web Albums - razor4077 - Lancer - WIP

Sorry for making this such a long post folks. Labour of love you see!!

Cool, another project thread. I hope you are documenting the project, and keep us updated how the mods work out for you.

I'm sure you can ask Hell Kuul also about places where you can get engine work done in Kolkata.

Yep, project is getting documented. Is Hell Kuul from Cal? There aren't too many options when it comes to performance modding in the City of Joy... trust me. People in Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore, Chennai etc are spoilt for choice! Getting any sort of not-so-ordinary accessory or part is a chore. Ask any Kolkatan who has undertaken such a quest.
Engine & performance mods are being done by Viper in Mumbai as mentioned.

Here is a break-up of the list of mods. I'm sure I'll forget something and add it later!

Engine & Performance mods:
Custom Free Flow Exhaust with Ceramic Coated Headers
Conical Air Filter (Ractive SF100) with SS pipe
Full engine overerhauling
Throttle Body Enlargement
Stage 2 Head Porting with Intake Manifold Porting and Head Shaving
Tri-Phase module
Iridium plugs (recycling my Santro ones which are in good shape)
RPM Short shifter kit

Will be considering a high-lift cam and a fuel pressure regulator in the next phase (if my wallet allows me!!)

Suspension & tyres:
Pedders Heavy duty coil springs on Pedders Comfort Gas shock absorbers.
Tyres & rims - being debated in the Tyres & Alloys section!!

Exterior:
Full body work with paintjob (colour to be changed to black).
SFXi skirts for front and side, full custom skirts for rear.
Mesh work in front air dams with custom fog lamps (working on these).
Philips X-treme Power +80% halogens (OE wattage: 55/60)

Interiors & ICE:
Dashboard painted in a black-grey dual colour scheme which improves the dull interiors considerably.
Leather-art leather custom interior
ICE: will post an update in the ICE section, but it's gonna be pretty good :)

Other mechanical parts like brakes, clutch etc will be repaired/replaced as required.

More later...

Hell Kuul was modding cars before I was born (not that long ago!), and he knows what he talks about. You should really talk to him.

His profile says he's in Perth currently.
@Hell Kuul: If you read this, are u from Calcutta originally?

any plans of getting a MIVEC if not the 4g63t?

If your going through all the trouble of shipping your engine to and from Mumbai, how much tougher would it be to get your hands on a MIVEC?

Hey Razor

Make life simple -:p just buy my Lancer !!!lol:
Congratulations for having started your Project Phoenix !!! Let's hope it meets your expectations. Enjoy the process

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak (Post 477343)
any plans of getting a MIVEC if not the 4g63t?

If your going through all the trouble of shipping your engine to and from Mumbai, how much tougher would it be to get your hands on a MIVEC?

I had considered a MIVEC and an EVO swap when I began. Coincidentally, I had posted a query on that in the Modded Lancer thread, to which you had provided some links :)
Unfortunately, they were well over budget for me. I wish I could have tho...

@Ricky: thanks bro, am enjoying it thoroughly!

@ razor - Hell Kuul is Mr. Niaz Ali. He is originally from Kolkata. congrats on the Lancer Project. i cant wait to see her in person. :) keep us updated buddy. :)

Congratulations Reza. Good luck with your modifications and keep us updated in detail with the progress.

All the best...! Drive safe with the new mods

Update on the project:
- Interior painting has commenced. All other body work is over.
- Overhauled and modded engine & FFE is ready to be dispatched from Mumbai - should happen by this weekend.
- Pedders Comfort Gas shock absorbers ordered.
- Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 (PP2) 205/50/15 tyres, and Plati PY509 (M6 replica rims) ordered.
- Philips X-treme Power Halogens have arrived from UK.
Link to post in lighting section:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...g-here-32.html

- Plan to go spare part and motor oil hunting tomorrow.
- Will try to visit the workshop where the body work is in progress also to take some pics.

Cheers!

Just out of curiousity, what all is being done to the engine?

Absolutely, what all is being done to the engine? Do tell which oil you buy!

All the best for the mods! Post updates on the car.

Cheers!

Nothing spectacular - just giving it a few extra horses. See post #3.