Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 12:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: VIOFO A229 Duo Front and Rear Dashcam | Review & Initial Impressions

Just one question regarding the A139, I was told about some Wifi issues with the 139 ? Any truth to this?
Old 9th January 2023, 13:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Just one question regarding the A139, I was told about some Wifi issues with the 139 ? Any truth to this?
Don稚 know about this but you can check firmware. Viofo is proactive in resolving issues in newer firmwares. Check out dashcamtalk forums for this problem. You値l find something there.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:55   #33
BHPian

This may be a naive (read stupid) question, I understand the need for dash cams in front. What sort of use case does the dash-cam at the rear is used for ?

I知 interested in buying Viofo and want to understand if I should go for dual channel or just the front dashcam.
Old 6th February 2023, 20:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
This may be a naive (read stupid) question, I understand the need for dash cams in front. What sort of use case does the dash-cam at the rear is used for ?
See second video in post #1.

Also, it comes handy if anybody rear ends your car and then starts pinning the blame on you.

If you can, get the dual channel.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 09:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
If you can, get the dual channel.
Thanks batish. Any suggestions in a sedan (VW Virtus) where should the rear dashcam be placed ? Should it be inside behind the rear glass or would a hole need to be drilled to be placed beside the number plate / rear camera.
Old 7th February 2023, 11:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
Any suggestions in a sedan (VW Virtus) where should the rear dashcam be placed? Should it be inside behind the rear glass or would a hole need to be drilled to be placed beside the number plate / rear camera.
It has to be inside. I repeat, Inside your vehicle. These cameras especially Viofo are not waterproof.

Secondly, no point in drilling. You would be damaging your paint and making car prone to rust. All these cameras have sticky double sided tapes along with them. Hence, if you want even then drilling won稚 make any difference.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 00:52   #37
BHPian

Hey @batish

I need a suggestion from you, also from anyone on the forum if they can answer below query.

We have Innova Crysta & I知 looking for dual channel dashcam for it.

I have almost zeroed down to 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S with RC06 and VIOFO A139 Pro 2CH with Starvis 2.

My use case:
Vehicle will be 70% of the time of a year in village & 30% of the time in Bangalore city.
Parking surveillance is mainly required when the vehicle is in city.

Based on the use case, which model would you suggest me to go with?
I知 confused between those 2. VIOFO price is 3x to the 70mai, is it really worth in investing that much on VIOFO?
Old 1st April 2023, 13:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiChaithanya View Post
My use case:
Vehicle will be 70% of the time of a year in village & 30% of the time in Bangalore city.
Parking surveillance is mainly required when the vehicle is in city.
I can only tell about Viofo as I've been using it and haven't experienced any other brand. For parking surveillance you'll need hardwiring kit as well, add that too in your cost.

You can switch parking surveillance on/off from dashcam settings - that is how it is in A229.

Quote:
Based on the use case, which model would you suggest me to go with?
I知 confused between those 2. VIOFO price is 3x to the 70mai, is it really worth in investing that much on VIOFO?
I don't have experience with 70Mai. Since it is fit and forget type accessory you can go for it if your budget allows. Main thing is it should be reliable. You would not want your dashcam to show corrupted files when the need arises to view them. So reliability is of utmost importance.

Can't say about 70mai, you can post this same in Dashcam and Video Recorder (DVR) Thread. Getting something similar at 1/3rd price. Well the difference is huge. Post this same query there. Any 70mai user could help you out there.
Old 4th June 2023, 16:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Update on this one.

As usual dashcam is reliable, works fine but the major problem is Night Time footage. As in the above picture, at night time plates are overexposed. I would say, Night Time footage is pathetic.

The major culprit here is HDR, hardware for which is missing in this dashcam. Day time quality is great. You won't miss anything but night time is extremely bad. You won't be able to figure out the plates even at crawling speeds. Picture quoted above is from potholed road where speeds were less than 5 kmph. Still nobody can figure out the plates, leave alone observing anything at city speeds.

Viofo knows this, hence they added HDR in recent models. Anybody buying A229 Duo, I'd say please don't, just because of this missing HDR you won't be able to see anything. Your investment would be waste. Better to find something which has HDR.

I had suggested people to go for A229 but at the time just like everybody else had no knowledge about HDR. Folks at Dashcamtalk did tests and found out there is no solution for this issue.

This is precisely the issue for people to see visually:

Name:  SmartSelect_20230604_151806_Brave.gif
Views: 783
Size:  5.06 MB

Please don't buy this one. It acts up like cheap CCTV during night. Will not be helpful when required at night.

This is the difference between dashcam with HDR and without HDR.

This is how A229 is in city.

This is A139 Pro (With HDR) in city. Same car. Same windshield. Notice how the lights and plates are captured because of HDR.

I hope Viofo takes note of this, recall the sold devices and then discontinue it permanently.

TL;DR: Don't buy A229 Duo. Not worth it because of lack of HDR. Get any cam which has HDR.

Last edited by batish : 4th June 2023 at 16:58.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 00:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
major problem is Night Time footage
After trying everything which could possibly be done in vehicle - adjusting beams, changing bulbs, adjusting fog lamps, end result is zero. This camera cannot capture the plates without HDR. It is really-really disappointing. No matter what the camera settings are - be it WDR, frame rate, resolution, none of them could make the registration plates legible.

It is not worth the price considering its night time footage is even beyond pathetic. These cameras are not used for recording sceneries or landscapes, these devices come handy in unfortunate situations.

If this were a 5-7k product, then it would be understandable.

Check out these videos for reference.

batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 10:49   #41

I have shortlisted viofo Dashcams. I am confused between A129 pro / A229 and A139 Pro.
A139 pro is without screen but is costing 10K more thant other 2 options.

I am planning for dual option (Front and Rear). For Hardwiring may decide later as does not want to Hardwire to avoid warranty conflicts.

Is it worth to pay 10K more for A139Pro or please suggest best option from these with value for money.
Old 13th July 2023, 01:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_in View Post
I have shortlisted viofo Dashcams. I am confused between A129 pro / A229 and A139 Pro.
A139 pro is without screen but is costing 10K more thant other 2 options.

Is it worth to pay 10K more for A139Pro or please suggest best option from these with value for money.
Do not buy a dashcam which does not have HDR. I repeat, do not buy a dashcam which does not have HDR.

Cancel A229 Duo. You'd be spending too much for a dashcam without HDR.

Screen doesn't play much role as all the settings can be managed from app including transfer of videos. So screen becomes redundant after a while. You just need the indicators on camera showing if it is working fine and powered on/off.

If you have the budget then go for A139 Pro otherwise if you are not in a hurry then wait for few more days. You'll have better options.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 07:55   #43
BHPian

I'm zeroing in on the viofo a129 (thanks to the forum otherwise I wasn't aware of this brand!) primarily because that's the cheapest viofo cam available now. And I guess it gets the job done. Any thoughts? I'll be fitting this in a Thar* (will there be any problem?)

*Yes, after years of reading this forum and watching thousands of videos, I finally made a plunge (the heart won)! I hope to write a detailed post sooner than later.
Old 24th July 2023, 22:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbeard View Post
I'm zeroing in on the viofo a129 (thanks to the forum otherwise I wasn't aware of this brand!) primarily because that's the cheapest viofo cam available now. And I guess it gets the job done. Any thoughts? I'll be fitting this in a Thar* (will there be any problem?)

*Yes, after years of reading this forum and watching thousands of videos, I finally made a plunge (the heart won)! I hope to write a detailed post sooner than later.
Well if you haven't placed the order I'd suggest waiting as they are launching new products in 1-2 months and they are with HDR and atleast 2k resolution.

If you have placed the order then congrats sir!
Old 24th July 2023, 22:17   #45
BHPian

I haven't placed an order. Can wait, but do you have insights into the possible pricing of the new products? Will they be priced higher ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks