Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2007, 14:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Headlight washer project

Guys any idea how much do the headlight washer modules on the Skoda RS retail for? Is it possible to fit them on the Palio or do they come as a part of the front bumper? I wouldn't mind connecting them the water pump that sprays water on my boot lid glass so that both of them operate in sync.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys any idea how much do the headlight washer modules on the Skoda RS retail for? Is it possible to fit them on the Palio or do they come as a part of the front bumper? I wouldn't mind connecting them the water pump that sprays water on my boot lid glass so that both of them operate in sync.
Amazing idea. But honestly, how useful are these headlight washers apart from being a novelty? I never experienced my headlights covered with mud or something so much so that it would impair visibility.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I never experienced my headlights covered with mud or something so much so that it would impair visibility.
Hi Anand its not for city use. I use my car more on the highways than in the City and when you follow trucks without mudflaps for 4-5 kms on a stretch where you can't overtake them you'll feel the need. I agree it has a novelty factor but I faced poor light throw once the lights are covered in muck. I am just thinking of a possibility of getting them fitted. I would ofcourse compare to see if getting off the car and washing lights with a cloth and water is cheaper than having these cool little washers on your bumper .
Old 26th June 2007, 15:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

That would be a good thing to do moralF. Not sure on the prices, but a cheaper alternative would be to simply purchase the nozzels used for the windscreen on some other car (Esteem comes to mind or even the Palio itself), attach those to the front bumper after getting the angle right. Then simply put a splitter on the existing tube that carried the water, and there you have it. Your own headlight washers that will spray water everytime you spray it on the windscreen. No wiring, no nothing required. The whole thing could probably cost less than 200 bucks.

Last edited by Rtech : 26th June 2007 at 15:21.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Wow the cheaper Idea sounds better and being smaller than the one that comes with the Skoda, they wouldn't stand in way of my light throw too. Will do this very soon and keep you guys posted. The Palio ones should serve well since they come with three jets in each nozzle. Easier to cover the entire headlamp.

Thank you Robeeeeen!

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th June 2007 at 15:29.
Old 26th June 2007, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Wow the cheaper Idea sounds better and being smaller than the one that comes with the Skoda, they wouldn't stand in way of my light throw too. Will do this very soon and keep you guys posted. The Palio ones should serve well since they come with three jets in each nozzle. Easier to cover the entire headlamp.

Thank you Robeeeeen!
kiran instead of 3 nozzles, go for single nozzle and put headlight wiper...palio headlamps are simple and straight in design, so fitting should be simple...well the hard part is to source them (good old imported W124s had them) , but u always have Chor bazaar ...wat say

Old 26th June 2007, 16:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Robeeeeen!

hey moralfibre i think if you get the palio one from the dealer it would cost a bomb but you could look at a the nozzle of the alto it to has 3 jets and it cost me around 30 bucks in the open market
Old 26th June 2007, 16:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post
kiran instead of 3 nozzles, go for single nozzle and put headlight wiper...palio headlamps are simple and straight in design, so fitting should be simple...well the hard part is to source them (good old imported W124s had them) , but u always have Chor bazaar ...wat say
No Nimish. They are not flat glass front headlamps as they look. The glass on the lamp is curved and convex hence fitting a wiper assembly will involve a lot alterations. I also fear scratches. Additionally the W124 had larger headlamps than the Palio so the wiper blades need to be cut short? A good friend who works for the dealership here told me that I wouldn't see crystal clear lamps with this mod but assured that there would be atleast 40% cleaning that I can expect since the main problem would be wiping the glass after spraying water.

Quote:
hey moralfibre i think if you get the palio one from the dealer it would cost a bomb but you could look at a the nozzle of the alto it to has 3 jets and it cost me around 30 bucks in the open market
I already called up my friend who works for the dealership to get me a pair and the pipe. The total shouldn't be more than 100 bucks according to him. I dont think Rs. 100/- is a bomb amount for this?
Old 26th June 2007, 16:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the extremely high temperature of the headlight?
Of course this question is not specific to this mod but for any headlight wiper.

Is the wiper rubber special to survive the very very hot glass?
Old 26th June 2007, 16:31   #10
BHPian

one suggestion kiran...do not use the same reservoir and pump(motor) as one motor wont be able to handle all the load...buy a new set of reservoir and motor and place it somewhere in the engine bay....some 10-12 years ago, i had bought the Maruti reservoir and motor for 200 bucks and fitted it on my Padmini windshield.....
Old 26th June 2007, 16:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What about the extremely high temperature of the headlight?
Of course this question is not specific to this mod but for any headlight wiper.
Is the wiper rubber special to survive the very very hot glass?
I think the rubber wouldn't survive the heat. V-16's Rolls Royce has an interesting wiper. It is a brush like wiper which works without water. You can see a picture here - Rolls Royce Silver Spirit headlight wiper
Old 26th June 2007, 16:44   #12
BANNED

A headlamp washer has a very high pressure pump compared to the normal windscreen washer pumps. But if you put the nozzle very close to the Headlamps, then I think the pressure will suffice and hence there won't be a need for wipers.

You can also try and source a high pressure pump from Honda or Toyota. Their pumps have a bit more pressure than Maruti/Hyundai etc..
Old 26th June 2007, 17:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
A headlamp washer has a very high pressure pump compared to the normal windscreen washer pumps. But if you put the nozzle very close to the Headlamps, then I think the pressure will suffice and hence there won't be a need for wipers.

You can also try and source a high pressure pump from Honda or Toyota. Their pumps have a bit more pressure than Maruti/Hyundai etc..
Ya I agree here the head light washer pump will have high pressure to work. also it spread the water to clean the whole head light not like in windscreen where water is spread and cleaned by wiper also.
Old 26th June 2007, 17:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

i got on the phone with my mechanic and he says the set(pines and the nozzle) is for max 50 bucks so for two i will pay 100 bucks and then fitting and all he says it will come to around 150 bucks

i am getting it done in 2-3 days will keep you guys updated
Old 26th June 2007, 17:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Good luck Manikjeet. Make sure you keep the nozzles flexible to turn so that if they do not wash the headlamps they can be used to assault like how me and N_C do. See posts 37 and 43 here - Assault

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks