Team-BHP - Is an FFE worth on fiat 1.6
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Is an FFE worth on fiat 1.6 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/25808-ffe-worth-fiat-1-6-a.html)

I am very keen to do an FFE for my 1.6 engine. But many of my friends are discouraging me from going ahead. They emphasize that it is tedious and not worth money and effort spend on it. According to them there will be little improvement in performance.

I was planning to retain tail end as removing it makes lot of noise, with only new headers and cat removed, otherwise as many bhpians i too should go back to stock. Many of the bhpians complained of huge sound which becomes irritating in long run.

Want to know what other bhpians say on it.

If there is one breed of cars that an FFE sounds the best on, its Fiats! Be it a premier padmini or a Palio. The deep exhaust note is to die for and dont worry....you will never tire of it. A well-designed FFE will give you noticeable performance gains.

Go ahead and get a good FFE with headers designed for low-mid range punch. Thats the range where we spend most of our time anyways. Also, you can always ask your exhaust chap for a subtle "quiet" sound. Its not necessary for a FFE to be loud.

@GTO - you are right. IMO the FFE sounds great in Fiats. previously my car had just a custom expansion chamber and its was very loud - lot of bass and rumble. but now my car sounds just like a stock Padmini (even with headers & ffe). its absolutely quite with just the bass. i got it done by Electra Performance, Chennai. the exhaust note is totally muffled. :Frustrati
a properly tuned headers will definitely add to the performance. :)

it wont be loud if you dont want it to be. you can get it made in a way that it sounds normal as long as you are light with the accelerator.

Hi Swathyd,
There will be a notable difference in the power if you are using Custom headers along with the exhaust and as the other team-mates have mentioned, a FFE does'nt have to be loud if you dont want it to be. The ones you hear roaring down the street are probably the ones that have been designed with the intention of sounding loud, as per the owner's specifications. One thing, dont go for a stock tail end but go for a slightly larger diameter than the original. when putting an FFE, let it look the part too. And in the low-mid area it wont go that loud. That little rumble always make you happy. Go for it, the Fiat was built for an FFE.

I for once do not agree with a FFE. swathyd asked me over PM whether he should go for a FFE but I asked him not to because the car he drives is an Adventure and I dunno how weird it sounds for an Adventure to have a Free flow. But yes Swathyd you can try getting over the Cat-con and see if there are any gains. I am not sure but I guess there will be a marginal increase. As far as possible try to retain the heat sheild over the headers even if you go for aftermarket ones.

Thank you GTO , moral, planet. akshay . If it is possible to muffle the sound and performance assured i have no hesitation for FFE.

if the perforations in the straight pipe of the muffler are small and presence of glass wool /steel wool is more the sound will be muffled and the exaust note will not be loud. :)

are you planning to keep the Cat' convertor (Catcon)? AFAIK a proper FFE doesnt include the Catcon.

and what do guys say about an FFE in a palio 1.2.. I think 1.2 needs an FFE much much more than a 1.6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishibravo (Post 486887)
and what do guys say about an FFE in a palio 1.2.. I think 1.2 needs an FFE much much more than a 1.6.

get it. belive me there is a noticeable difference in power at least in my getz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 486903)
get it. belive me there is a noticeable difference in power at least in my getz.

Would you recommend an automech exhaust or something else?

Swathy, the 1.6 palio has headers near the firewall since the engine is a reverse mount. Due to the lack of space it is extremely difficult to fit a aftermarket header. So kindly do make sure that your installer knows what he is doing and also you get the correct set of headers made. Otherwise you will have a lot of hassles.

Many guys in this business might have done headers for 1.6. So i think they know the job.

Swathyd, it is better if you can clarify members if you are talking about a Palio 1.6 GTX/Sport/S10 or the Adventure for this mod.

i too had a noticeable difference in power in my getz, i got my exhaust from automech.