Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 16:17   #1
BHPian

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle

I'm afraid I can't call it a Dash cam if there's no dashboard, but hey, let's get to the point.

Things are getting scary in my city with people riding wrong side almost all the time, and expecting me to get out of the way. Nothing too bad, but I've had a minor nudge with one guy around 5-6 months ago, so I could use a cam for long run.

I have a 2013 Duke 390. I already have a Yi camera, the 16 Megapixel one which does 1080p60 easily, 48 and 30 fps are an option too specially for darker scenes..
One option is to place this cam inside the pilot lamp place, under the headlight. But then again, what will happen to pilot lamp itself?

As for power supply, its possible to run this camera from USB without a battery of its own, which is what I'm considering, but it still requires to be turned on from the device, which will be sadly inside the pilot lamp assembly... not too accessble.

What are my options? Is a decent, secured, good quality option for dash cam available for motorcycles?
Samarth 619 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:20   #2
BHPian

re: "Dash" Cam options for a Motorbike | My 2013 Duke 390

My brother uses an action cam (SJ) attached to helmet / body for all his long trips which serves the purpose of dashcam along with travel / vlogging. Issue with 2W is, you need a camera which can survive the harsh weather, rain, winds etc and action cam solves the purpose best.
Samfromindia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
What are my options? Is a decent, secured, good quality option for dash cam available for motorcycles?
There are motorcycle use dashcams available, they can be mounted discretely. Eg: VIOFO MT1 which is a dual channel motorcycle dash cam. VIOFO is good and reliable, I have been using their car dash cams since five years.

Last edited by Sankar : 21st November 2022 at 19:27.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quick search on Amazon.in gave these results, a tad bit expensive, but Bike accessory nonetheless:-

1. BEISITE Motorcycle Camera Dash Cam 1080P+720P Dual AHD Front Rear Bike Dashcam with 2 inch IPS Screen G-Sensor Parking Mode Waterproof Loop Recording Bike Cycle Driving Recorder(SE20) https://amzn.eu/d/5egtRya

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122111953841_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122111959435_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112002754_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112007719_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112012350_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112016508_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112020088_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

2. BEISITE Motorcycle Camera Dash Cam 1080P+720P Dual AHD Front Rear Bike Dashcam with 2 inch IPS Screen G-Sensor Parking Mode Waterproof Loop Recording Bike Cycle Driving Recorder, black(SE20) https://amzn.eu/d/0yV49IB

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112610338_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112613055_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112615425_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112618008_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112624635_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112627129_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle-screenshot_20221122112629928_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

Hope it helps.
AdityaDeane is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 09:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle

Almost everyone I know uses helmet mounted versions. This is because a bike's highest point is pretty low and you want the dashcam to be as high up as possible for a good field of view.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:15   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dash Cam options for a Motorcycle

Because of the risk of theft, you can't really leave your motorcycle parked with a good dashcam mounted on it. Another vote for the helmet-mounted cams.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

GoPro accessories also offer an option to mount the camera on the body/chest - giving a front view similar to the helmet cam. Think of the body-cams that cops in the US wear. That could be a good option to invest in - one that can be put on and removed as and when needed.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Things are getting scary in my city with people riding wrong side almost all the time, and expecting me to get out of the way
This has become a national problem boss!! Having witnessed in UP, UK, AP, TS, KA, TN, MH, MP, I thought DL should be immune from these just because it's capital of the country!! But to my horror, less said better!!

Quote:
so I could use a cam for long run
I was in your shoes during pre-covid times, but then, courts won't accept these things as evidence for anything & to my knowledge whoever has loudest mouth & can gather maximum sympathy can walk away that's all.

Even if we're right & other person is wrong, they simply say, "I know I'm coming in wrong way, you're coming in the right way isn't it? So didn't you avoid the accident?" What do you say to such jokers?

Quote:
I'm sorry to say, either yield to the system (not by riding in wrong way), but just learn to ignore them & stay cautious or the worst which I don't want to tell to an enthusiast like us.

Here in TN what I heard was the police is unable to crack down the repeat offenders as the punishing authority goes to RTO & the job of police stops after apprehending the offenders only with evidence not even with spot fine. Over & above the public these days post anything & everything on social media gaining worse reputation for the police, so they are hesitant to enforce beyond a certain point (obviously they've better jobs to do as well). All these fuel the offenders to give their best!!

Unless the change is imposed from top, nothing will change at bottom!!

BTW, by no means I'm discouraging you, but sharing what I underwent after massive frustration & have almost given up the hope on signs of improvement. Even if you look at the slogan of "avoid mobile when driving" has turned into bluetooth enabled two-wheeler for the convenience of delivery & logistics people. Yet those conveniences are thrown to dust & the phones are sticking between left shoulder & ear!!

Last edited by aargee : 23rd November 2022 at 11:42.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:55   #9
BHPian

I am also looking for a similar setup, but sure of reliability and also theft is an issue.

I recently got involved in a bike crash, luckily I wasnt hurt. The guy came in the wrong direction and I hit him, even for his fault. I had to pay him and get rid of the situation.
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:08   #10
BHPian

Have a look at innovv dash cameras.
To be honest they are on the pricey side, but it looks well made.

Jhinchak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Almost everyone I know uses helmet mounted versions. This is because a bike's highest point is pretty low and you want the dashcam to be as high up as possible for a good field of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Because of the risk of theft, you can't really leave your motorcycle parked with a good dashcam mounted on it. Another vote for the helmet-mounted cams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvamshi04 View Post
I am also looking for a similar setup, but sure of reliability and also theft is an issue. I recently got involved in a bike crash, luckily I wasnt hurt. The guy came in the wrong direction and I hit him, even for his fault. I had to pay him and get rid of the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
My brother uses an action cam (SJ) attached to helmet / body for all his long trips which serves the purpose of dashcam along with travel / vlogging. Issue with 2W is, you need a camera which can survive the harsh weather, rain, winds etc and action cam solves the purpose best.
Thanks for the response guys.
I already have the Yi Action camera. Doesn't work out for me so well, I need an install and forget solution that just works for city commuting.
Its for everyday legal safety, in case legal issues arise, not so much for fun rides.
I wish to install it by modifying the bike somehow, somewhere around the pilot lamp enclosure. I have considered theft as a possibility while installing it.
I know what you're thinking.. its not a 'dash' camera anymore, right? Well.

I believe for the future we should have company fitted dual cameras by default, controllable through the console itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Quick search on Amazon.in gave these results, a tad bit expensive, but Bike accessory nonetheless:-

2. BEISITE Motorcycle Camera Dash Cam 1080P+720P Dual AHD Front Rear Bike Dashcam with 2 inch IPS Screen G-Sensor Parking Mode Waterproof Loop Recording Bike Cycle Driving Recorder, black(SE20) https://amzn.eu/d/0yV49IB
Hope it helps.
Nice, but the brands seem somewhat unknown. Also, I'm not quite getting a premium feel from them. Plus its on Amazon Europe, I'm in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
GoPro accessories also offer an option to mount the camera on the body/chest - giving a front view similar to the helmet cam. Think of the body-cams that cops in the US wear. That could be a good option to invest in - one that can be put on and removed as and when needed.
I have it for my Yi camera, but its not exactly what I'm looking for.
I want a trouble free solution on my bike, installed somewhere inside it, out of a thief's hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This has become a national problem boss!! Having witnessed in UP, UK, AP, TS, KA, TN, MH, MP, I thought DL should be immune from these just because it's capital of the country!! But to my horror, less said better!!
I was in your shoes during pre-covid times, but then,....
Agreed with the points and I know the situation, but if something actually goes south, I'm better off with a footage than without it, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
There are motorcycle use dashcams available, they can be mounted discretely. Eg: VIOFO MT1 which is a dual channel motorcycle dash cam. VIOFO is good and reliable, I have been using their car dash cams since five years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhinchak View Post
Have a look at innovv dash cameras.
To be honest they are on the pricey side, but it looks...
Thanks for the suggestion guys. Both these look somewhat premium and good quality to me. I suppose I can work to modify my bike to suit this.
I'll be considering between the VIOFO and this INNOVV now. Thanks.
Samarth 619 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 06:58   #12
BHPian

I have been running an INNOV Motorcycle Dash Cam (Front and Rear) on my Z900 ever since 2020 January and a Viofo MT1 Motorcycle Dash Cam on my Versys from within a few days of taking delivery. Pretty happy with both. My first mod, when I get my next bike, will be to fix a VIOFO MT1.

With respect to the possibility of it being stolen, it all depends on how you mount. Mounting it in a fairly inconspicuous location without compromising its vision is key. That would vary from bike to bike.
krishsreedharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 08:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed with the points and I know the situation, but if something actually goes south, I'm better off with a footage than without it, wouldn't you agree?
Yes, it's sort of insurance to show we were right & the culprit is other party & the presence of camera also cautions us to lay straight forward as the evidence might be turned against us.

The other side being, helps to capture & share some beautiful moments to sceneries as well
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 10:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
With respect to the possibility of it being stolen, it all depends on how you mount. Mounting it in a fairly inconspicuous location without compromising its vision is key. That would vary from bike to bike.
Would you be able to post a couple of pictures of how you have mounted on the bike and where you draw power for the setup as well. Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 11:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
Would you be able to post a couple of pictures of how you have mounted on the bike and where you draw power for the setup as well. Thanks
I have detailed it in the following ownership thread. Hope this helps. This is with respect to the Versys. As for the Z900, I will update this thread tomorrow - since I am at office and did not bring the 900 to work today.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...es-home-2.html (Kawasaki Versys 1000 Review | Roadrunner comes home)
krishsreedharan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks